Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Season 2020
chunkyinargyll 26 November, 2019 07:08
So, the fixtures are out.

Notable the 50 overs is no longer regional. Probably done to make it harder for away fans to attend, and keep attendances down. Two warm up games against Minor Counties (but not part of the actual competition)

I can't actually work out how to download the fixtures from the Middlesex site (probably me, but I can't get it to do it, so I'll have to get full fixtures elsewhere)

chunkyinargyll 26 November, 2019 07:18
Had a look at ECB site and it's the same.

I have a feeling it might be something to do with them wanting my email address (with a view to bombarding me with emails about the blundred), so for now the fixtures remain a mystery, as I'm not going to click loads of times to get something that should be readily and easily available.

Edit- got it via Middlesex twitter feed (not to download, but at least it's there in readable form-

[twitter.com]

[twitter.com]

[twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/11/2019 07:24 by chunkyinargyll.

BeefyRoberts 26 November, 2019 07:36
Not many decent away outgrounds again to visit,just Sedburgh School in Yorkshire or Cumbria.Noted two Minor County games,Berkshire and Hertfordshire away,an away trip to Radlett..no thanks!
A ground missing on fixture list is Uxbridge.
Radlett got a good deal for 50 over games with 4 games.
Plenty of games at Spanish HQ for them to enjoy.
I'm glad we havent included franchise rubbish fixtures in our list,well done Middlesex.
Looked at yourkshure and they have all franchise included,not checked others as yet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/11/2019 09:47 by BeefyRoberts.

Seaxe_man1 26 November, 2019 11:02
An uninteresting fixture list. Highlights T20 at Richmond good access and facilities for members and one game in the Arctic Circle at Sedbergh.

3 games at MTS which is minus member facilities but the hierarchy have been asked to put in a very large marquee.

A player preference we are told as we have success there. This for me says we should have two games there and one less at the Lawn.

The 50 overs is fully at Radlett. Getting in and out of the car park four times not an attractive thought.

Other than that the ABU's appear to be in charge. I look forward to the Seconds list.

adelaide 26 November, 2019 11:24
Sedbergh School is said to be one of the most picturesque settings but hard to get to. I presume it is somewhere near the magnificent Settle-Carlisle rail line, though that would not be much of an alternative is the weather is bad.

Adelaide

Marlowboy 26 November, 2019 11:30
I have downloaded the fixtures with no issue, using the link in the email from Middlesex and browser (Firefox). I'm pleased that there are more days play at the week end, well done whoever was responsible for that.

chunkyinargyll 26 November, 2019 11:49
One thing stands out-

Last group T20 is on12/7 away to kent

Followed by a gap of just under seven weeks until 29/8 when we play Notts away in the championship.

That is how long the gap is between matches when we are able to play our full (non blundred raided) side.

If you want to include the 50 over competition, our last group game is on 9/8 home to Kent, so still a gap of nearly three weeks between that and our next fixture.

The reason is the near three week gap is needed for the knockout stages of both T20 and 50 overs, so yes, we might get some first team cricket between those dates, but only if we progress to the knockout stages in at least one of the white ball competitions.

Hard to get excited at 50 overs. Even if we do well it will partly be because some teams will have lost even more players to the blundred than us. We only lose Morgan, Simpson, Sowter and Helm, so at least we will be able to put out a serviceable side- something like- Robson, Gubbins. Eskinazi, Handscomb, Holden, Andersson, White or Davies (wk) Holman, Harris, Roland-Jones, Finn.

That still leaves no room for Murtagh, Cummins or Bamber, so matbe one of them for Andersson. And Lace as reserve batsman.

BeefyRoberts 26 November, 2019 12:33
Having chance to read the fixtures,all published in the Times,plenty of outgrounds being used.
We get just the one to visit,Sedbergh School,a nice easy drive up the M6.
I wonder why,in the last 2 or 3 years,we have always been dealt one of the worse cards for visiting outgrounds?Even playing an away game at Radlett this coming season.

Jonathan Winsky 26 November, 2019 19:03
Since I began following cricket, it seemed like there were too many instances of County Championship matches beginning on Mondays or Tuesdays to give no weekend play, or of Championship matches beginning on Wednesdays to make it uncertain whether matches would have any meaningful weekend play. Therefore, it is great to see Middlesex are scheduled to play plenty of days of Championship cricket in 2020 not only on weekends, but also on bank holidays (we are scheduled to play on Easter Monday, VE Day and Whit Monday, with all of those days being at Lord’s). I can’t remember so much Championship cricket at weekends!

I imagine that a lot of supporters will be glad to see that we will play all but one home Championship match and all but two home Twenty20 group matches at Lord’s (although those only interested in the Championship will argue that we will play no matches in that competition at Lord’s between late-May and early-September). However, I am not too pleased about us playing all of our home group matches in the 50-over competition (which Royal London appear to still be sponsoring) at Radlett, although I will probably aim to attend the two matches on a Sunday. Despite it initially looking likely that none of the matches would take place at venues used for The Hundred, we were told at the post-season forum that Middlesex were hopeful of playing one match at Lord’s. A quick glance at other counties’ fixtures in this competition shows that some matches will take place at Test grounds (with I think some Test grounds staging more than one 50-over match), but clearly our attempts to play a match at Lord’s have been unsuccessful.

I am surprised that the 50-over competition will no longer be played on a regional basis. Thankfully for anyone who intends to go to most or all of our matches, the abandonment of the regional structure appears not to result in excessive travel around England and Wales, except perhaps the eight-day period when we play at Radlett, Hove, Worcester and Chelmsford. It helps that we have two lots of instances of playing two matches at Radlett in the space of three days. However, I cannot comment on whether the other counties have got away lightly in terms of travel.

Where our travel does seem excessive is that we will play in the Falkland Islands and in Radlett on successive days.

Something that will disappoint various groups of people is the continual (but expected) lack of Championship matches in July and August. Our Championship campaign will not resume until 29th August, but there is actually a round of matches the previous week in which every county other than ourselves and Leicestershire have a match.

Another aspect of the fixturelist which may not enamour those involved with the players will be the fact that we will play three Championship matches during our Twenty20 campaign, which means that the players will be switching between formats.

Over the last few years, our Twenty20 fixturelist has always included just one match against each of Kent and Glamorgan, and two matches against our six other opponents. However, in 2020 the two teams we will face only once will be Somerset and Sussex.

Once again, Surrey have requested that those who wish to attend the derby Twenty20 match at The Oval on Thursday 28th May enter a ballot.

Nathan Sowter has spoken to The Cricketer about his career ambitions.

Seaxe_man1 27 November, 2019 13:15
Well chunky, not something you would favour but we could add experience by giving Ravi Patel a short term 50 over contract during the 99+1 period as we have four players involved.

Bit of a big pill to swallow though I imagine.

Tom Lace should also feature for me. If not, Derby may call again.

chunkyinargyll 27 November, 2019 15:10
Why do you think I wouldn't favour giving Ravi Patel a 50 over deal S_M?

I was sorry when he went.

Like you say, it won't happen, because once you're gone, you're gone.

Dan Lincoln could well get a short term deal for 50 overs. I assume that was what his pay per match thing was about in 2019 T20.

Mark Drukker 27 November, 2019 18:03
Falkland CC is in Wash Common on the edge of Newbury (hourly bus service to the adjacent estate from town centre)

BeefyRoberts 28 November, 2019 01:37
Have noticed that 7th and 8th April,we are playing Mexicans in a 2 day friendly,being played South of the border.Its on the Mexicans fixture list..11am start both days

tbl 03 December, 2019 22:18
This is a vast improvement on last season with lots of weekend championship cricket!

And the Hundred disaster will give us real cricket fans opportunities to visit some new grounds. I am disappointed that all our 50 over fixtures are at Radlett, but will attend as many as I can to send a message to the powers that be.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net