Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Season 2020
BeefyRoberts 02 May, 2020 09:24
There is a magazine on sale now, called 'County Cricket Matters'
Has been 2 editions so far, and it is a rather good read. First 2 are priced at £2 each, and are available from www.countycricketmatters.com

Hope the mods dont mind me putting this on website, it's an independent magazine.
2nd edition has interview with Kevin Hand among others, and I have heard Roland Butcher could be in an up coming edition.
I'm not involved in magazine, but know a few have purchased it and had all good feedback as well.

Fozzie 02 May, 2020 13:50
Quote:
BeefyRoberts
There is a magazine on sale now, called 'County Cricket Matters'
Has been 2 editions so far, and it is a rather good read. First 2 are priced at £2 each, and are available from www.countycricketmatters.com

Hope the mods dont mind me putting this on website, it's an independent magazine.
2nd edition has interview with Kevin Hand among others, and I have heard Roland Butcher could be in an up coming edition.
I'm not involved in magazine, but know a few have purchased it and had all good feedback as well.

Fully agree with Beefy. Pleasantly surprised at what it a full and interesting read this was for such a low price. Next issue due in June.

BeefyRoberts 06 May, 2020 11:52
I see from newspaper reports, that the clown called harrison was again in front of the DCMS to explain how our great game will be after the virus.
Saying if no season ( we all just hope there is at least some cricket) ecb could lose in region of £380m.
Even if some international cricket goes ahead, the losses will be in region of £100m. How are they going to get overseas squads over here? Clue in word 'overseas'.
This bloke really does live on a different planet.
Maybe, if he, and the head clown graves took heads out of the sand are just realised the dramatic drop of £££ in the bank is due to the gamble on franchise rubbish, and listened to the cricket masses they will know who was correct all along.

What will coco the clown and sidekick announce on July 1st?
Like the rest of us, missing our wonderful game, missing the away trips and missing everyone we know well, or just bump into at games and say a quick hello.
It's amazing how much we love this game, when we cant get our 'summer fix' and, of course, the weather has been close to perfect for start of the season...just cant make this up!

Stay safe everyone, let's get through this and have one seriously big party at the first game!

BeefyRoberts 11 May, 2020 14:56
Just pulled the plug on the Notts game at Trent Bridge and cancelled hotel.
I know it's not until end of Aug, but, to be honest, I just can't see how any game will get the go-ahead.
Derbyshire is my only hotel left now, that will get cancelled later.

BeefyRoberts 20 May, 2020 21:49
Oh well, all done.
Derby hotel for the County game in September been cancelled. Got a voucher for the cost to use, so, IF we get game there can rebook.
All my hotels cancelled now, maybe I have gone early, but will see.

rod/ed 20 May, 2020 21:58
Still got Notts on a free cancellation. Probably won't be able to use it for footie either!

BeefyRoberts 24 May, 2020 08:14
Been perfect weather for cricket since start of the season.....

tbl 27 May, 2020 20:36
George Dobell is reporting that there may be some County Championship cricket in August.

Cricinfo report

It is not clear if spectators will be allowed, although social distancing shouldn't be a problem at most midweek championship games.

Jonathan Winsky 27 May, 2020 23:12
It would hopefully help counties financially if some county cricket can take place at some point before 2020 is over. Whether spectators will be allowed remains to be seen, as the government have so far offered no hope that this will be allowed any time soon, although maybe they will give some hope at one of their next couple of reviews of the restrictions around 8th or 29th June. As cases of coronavirus infections and deaths sound like they are going in the right direction, and as the test and trace system will launch tomorrow, it would be human nature for the public to get their hopes up of a return to the freedoms enjoyed pre-lockdown, but the government are hesitant to risk a second wave of infections, which is why some sports clubs fear that they will have to wait until some time in 2021 to be allowed to welcome spectators.

As much as I enjoy attending sport, one issue I have as someone who works for the NHS and who travels on the Underground to and from work each day (my journey takes me close to both Lord’s and The Oval) is that even if matches were played at venues where it was possible to maintain social distancing, the fact that many spectators would travel to matches on public transport would make transport more crowded and thus increase the possibility of coronavirus spreading, which is why a large part of me would like as much of London as possible to remain closed in order to not tempt people into the area.

What I cannot question is that it should be possible (and easier to do compared to while in an office, in a supermarket or on transport) for social distancing to be maintained at County Championship matches at Lord’s and many other major venues, particularly if ground capacity is reduced.

The plans for the 2020 county season are more or less what I anticipated they would be, as it is hoped that some counties can play regional first-class matches with a five-day final at Lord’s but without promotion or relegation at stake, that the T20 Blast can take place too, but that a Royal London Cup competition is unlikely. I am not sure if the Blast would work well if played in front of empty grounds or at grounds with reduced capacities, but I suppose that some people will argue that it would be better than nothing and that it would prevent counties possibly having to refund Sky. It sounds like the County Championship final would be contested by two of the three group winners, which I fear would mean that teams who get off to a bad start would feel they had less to play for, as of course there would be a group in which none of the six teams advance into the final.

I purchased a ticket for Surrey v Middlesex in a Blast match due to take place at The Oval tomorrow, but I am not sure whether this fixture will take place in front of spectators in 2020, especially if Surrey say that any matches they stage this season can only take place in front of their members, so presumably Surrey will either give me a refund or give me a credit against a ticket for the corresponding fixture in 2021. What I am sure about is that the match will not take place tomorrow!

BeefyRoberts 28 May, 2020 17:30
Latest update from ecb...now no cricket until August 1st at earliest.
Includes all recreational and professional.
Oh well, to be honest I can't see any at all.
Time to put bag back in loft, put playfair into cupboard with rest of the memorabilia, and look forward to next season.
Maybe we can arrange an MTWD gathering once things calm down

Jonathan Winsky 03 June, 2020 19:04
Angus Fraser has spoken to Middlesex’s YouTube page about the preparations the club are making ahead of a potential start to the 2020 season:

Jonathan Winsky 03 June, 2020 23:45
In the Daily Mail, it is reported that some counties have expressed reluctance to start the season until the present situation with coronavirus has dramatically eased (e.g. with regards to the supporters being unable to attend and players having to observe a degree of social distancing) due to the financial implications of counties having little or no matchday revenue, of staff having to be taken off furlough, of staff having to take tests and of players and coaches possibly having to make long journeys to and from matches each day if they are not allowed to stay in hotels.

Jonathan Winsky 04 June, 2020 19:59
In another article in the Daily Mail, it is reported that due to some counties feeling that playing County Championship matches behind closed doors would make little economic sense, some chief executives have suggested that it would be preferable for counties to play 50-over and Twenty20 matches and to not play the Championship. As disappointed as many people involved in the sport would be if no multi-day county cricket is played, this news would at least come as a pleasant surprise to those fearful that counties would not contest the format in which England are world champions.

One of the reasons why some counties would prefer 50-over matches to be played instead of the Championship is that playing Championship matches would cause players to travel to and from each day’s play if circumstances prohibit them from staying in hotels, something which would be less of an issue with 50-over matches. Although it would arguably not be a great strain for Middlesex’s players and staff if they had to travel to and from London and somewhere like Chelmsford for four days running, this would cause more strain for some other teams on the county circuit, as Durham and Leicestershire would be due to be in the same group, as would Northamptonshire and Glamorgan.

Whether supporters will be able to attend any of these matches will of course depend on how soon the government feel able to permit sports grounds to admit spectators to either part or the entirety of a ground’s capacity. Cricket supporters will hope that this point comes before the 2020 season is due to finish, although those of us who also like to attend football are guaranteed to have an alternative option of sport to attend for whenever the point comes. What fills me with pessimism is that some countries where coronavirus is more under control compared to Britain still do not allow people to attend sport, so that doesn’t bode well for Britain. We will have to see whether or not the government’s decision to make face coverings mandatory on public transport hastens the point when Britain can say that coronavirus is under control and when people are allowed to do the things they were doing pre-lockdown. Personally, I feel disappointed that face coverings have been made mandatory, as I believe that it is more important to maintain social distancing (which I presently have little difficulty doing when travelling between Wembley and Tooting), and I fear that face coverings have the potential to do more harm than good if they make people less inclined to maintain social distancing (or, to be more specific, less inclined to stay away from me) or if the coverings are not worn or removed in a careful and hygienic manner. I believe that it is dangerous in life to lose feelings of vulnerability except when there is no reason to feel vulnerable, but I fear that many people who wear masks will stop feeling the necessity to be alert to the dangers of ignoring social distancing guidelines. In cricket, a batsman who doesn't wear a helmet and is able to get their head out of the way of the ball has less risk of injury or worse than a batsman who wears a helmet but doesn't get their head out of the way of the ball. I am seriously considering the idea of wearing a covering as I enter and exit a station, but removing the covering when travelling, and I would genuinely feel more relief than offence if this causes people to decide that they are too disgusted by my actions to approach me to challenge me on my actions. As is evident by the length of this paragraph, I have devoted lots of thought to this subject over the last few months!

Marlowboy 04 June, 2020 21:02
I have similar views regarding wearing face masks. As discussed on C4 news this evening there are scientific views for and against. I hope they are not mandated as a condition of cricket grounds admitting spectators. If so, I would need to consider how I feel watching in that circumstance, despite the pleasure of attending a days play. MB

Jonathan Winsky 11 June, 2020 19:39
On Cricinfo, George Dobell reports that the chances of county cricket being played in 2020 has taken a hit due to some counties being reluctant to take staff off furlough or being fearful that playing would divert medical resources from the fight against coronavirus. Also, some people have a fear that even if hotels are allowed to open, then the fact that some guests may have recently arrived from overseas and thus be observing the requirement to quarantine poses a risk that players or officials could catch coronavirus.

As the more affluent counties seem keener than the poorer counties to start the season, something else feared is that ECB may identify now as being a good time to satisfy any desire they may have to reduce the amount of counties.

A meeting of ECB's cricket committee will take place tomorrow, while a decision about whether to start the season seems set to be made in mid-July.

Lancashire are hopeful of being able to stage matches this season in front of crowds of 6,000-7,000, with chief executive Daniel Gidney saying that it could depend on whether the government decide to reduce the distance that it recommends people stay away from each other from 2 metres to maybe 1 or 1.5 metres. If this government advice changes and it is accepted that it does not increase the chances of people catching coronavirus and that it gets Britain closer towards normality, then that would increase the chances of people soon being allowed to attend sport. However, if the advice changes and it results in the threat of coronavirus increasing, then that would be a setback for those hoping to soon attend sport.

I am resigned to having to not only wear a face covering when travelling to and from work as of this coming Monday, but at work too, so hopefully there will be no realisation of my fear that my chances of catching coronavirus will now increase.

Jonathan Winsky 12 June, 2020 19:15
An article in the Daily Mail says that even if it is deemed not possible for an official four-day competition (whether this be named the County Championship, the Bob Willis Trophy or something else) to be played, counties would still be permitted to play four-day matches (seemingly with first-class status) against opponents within driving distance. The article also says that another barrier to the possibility of teams staying at hotels in addition to the reasons I have mentioned in previous posts is that even if hotels open, they may not open their restaurant or offer room service.

Another article in the Daily Mail gives hope to those looking for hints that it will soon be possible to attend sport, as it says that some Premier League and Football League clubs are in talks with a company who can install sterilisation tunnels outside grounds which can kill coronavirus. However, I don’t think that everyone is convinced that these tunnels work, while there must be concerns about how much it would cost or how many tunnels there are to go around, as grounds would probably not be allowed to open to capacity if it is not possible for grounds to acquire sufficient tunnels for each entrance or each turnstyle.

adelaide 12 June, 2020 21:25
The article actually claimed that the tunnels could kill coronavirus on you. Nor coronavirus in you, so it wont stop you breathing out virus or breathing in virus that someone else has breathed out. Or (once in the ground) touching something infected that the virus had been breathed or sneezed upon.

If it really killed coronoavirus we would have them on every street corner and people would be queueing up to get through them rather than to get into IKEA.

Adelaide

New Boy 2 16 June, 2020 12:36
There's no way I'm going to queue up to watch any live elite sport if it means that some kid on a zero-hours contract gets to throw a bucket of soapy water over me before I can get to my seat. :-(

adelaide 16 June, 2020 13:22
Is that before or after the rubdown security check?

Adelaide

Jonathan Winsky 18 June, 2020 23:25
On the members’ portal on Middlesex’s official website, Mike O’Farrell suggests that if we are able to play any matches this season, we may stage some at outgrounds such as Radlett or Merchant Taylors’ School due to uncertainty about the availability of Lord’s. I feel surprised at this, as I would have thought that Lord’s would be deemed safer than outgrounds to stage matches while adhering to any government guidelines in place, while the fact that England are not currently scheduled to play any matches at Lord's and that some other traditional matches (e.g. Eton v Harrow, the Varsity match and the final of the Village Cup if that competition does not start) may not take place at Lord's in 2020 would reduce the demand on pitches. Glamorgan have announced that they would stage all home matches in 2020 at Sophia Gardens, although admittedly that seems to be due to financial reasons rather than doubts about outgrounds’ ability to host matches. Then again, the fact that Middlesex don’t own Lord’s and that it is standard for us to host several matches each season at outgrounds means that I should hardly be surprised that we may not be able to play all home matches at Lord’s in 2020.

O’Farrell also proposes that some added meaning could be given to any matches staged this season by carrying points gained into 2021, which is the first time I have heard that suggestion.

An article in the Daily Mail suggests that yet another obstacle in the way of four-day county matches being possible in 2020 is that fast bowlers may not have had the 8-12 weeks recommended by ICC to prepare for matches as a result of being on furlough, and may have lost a degree of fitness due to gyms being closed. As only 3 weeks of preparation is recommended for 50-over matches, the chances of 50-over matches being played instead of four-day matches has increased. However, Middlesex president Mike Selvey has written on Twitter that the club have no objection to the possibility of our players starting a series of four-day matches with around 4 weeks of preparation.

Speaking to ECB Reporters Network, John Emburey says that spinners may find it harder to take wickets due to the matches being played on unused pitches and the possibility that captains and bowlers may be restricted on where they can place fielders as a result of social distancing regulations.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net