Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Season 2020
dingy bags 24 June, 2020 14:22
Two day friendly at the gasworks 26 & 27 July. Red ball and behind closed doors

Jonathan Winsky 28 June, 2020 00:13
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky on 18th June
An article in the Daily Mail suggests that yet another obstacle in the way of four-day county matches being possible in 2020 is that fast bowlers may not have had the 8-12 weeks recommended by ICC to prepare for matches as a result of being on furlough, and may have lost a degree of fitness due to gyms being closed. As only 3 weeks of preparation is recommended for 50-over matches, the chances of 50-over matches being played instead of four-day matches has increased. However, Middlesex president Mike Selvey has written on Twitter that the club have no objection to the possibility of our players starting a series of four-day matches with around 4 weeks of preparation

In the Mail on Sunday, it is reported that it is feared that players could take legal action on the grounds of medical negligence if they suffer a career-threatening stress fracture as a consequence of playing four-day cricket without the recommended preparation time, so this is yet another blow for those hopeful that some four-day county cricket could be played in 2020.

The article also says that ECB have yet to give approval to Middlesex’s scheduled friendly away to Surrey or to a similar match between Lancashire and Yorkshire, although it would be a surprise if this approval does not come at some point, unless the chances of some county cricket being possible are not as real as many of us hope it is.

BeefyRoberts 29 June, 2020 16:14
White smoke from chimney on pavilion at Lords, all clear to start season on August 1st.
Fixtures early July.
Behind closed doors?
Venues?
All this, and more to be announced.

Great news folks, wonderful news.

Jonathan Winsky 29 June, 2020 19:53
I assumed that any announcement about the possibility of county cricket being played in 2020 would not take place until a meeting which will apparently take place on 6th July, so it is a pleasant surprise that an announcement with good news was made today. Hopefully the meeting on or around 6th July will be accompanied with news about what the structure will be, with hopefully the fixturelist also being published at either the same time or shortly after.

Last week, Worcestershire batsman and PCA chairman Daryl Mitchell estimated that 14 counties (which I think includes Middlesex) would prefer the format which is played in addition to Twenty20 to be four-day matches, with the 4 other counties preferring 50-over matches. However, today has seen Gloucestershire chief executive Will Brown speak about being hopeful that all three formats could be played.

The latest Daily Mail article about the possibility of there being four-day matches says that if this format is played, then substitutes will be allowed in the event of it being suspected that a player has Covid-19 mid-match, while it is possible that substitutes may also be allowed if a bowler gets injured mid-match, although matches would lose their first-class status in the event of a substitution being made for any reason other than Covid-19, concussion or (to maintain the alliteration) commitments to England.

Quote:
Jonathan Winsky on 18th June
On the members’ portal on Middlesex’s official website, Mike O’Farrell suggests that if we are able to play any matches this season, we may stage some at outgrounds such as Radlett or Merchant Taylors’ School due to uncertainty about the availability of Lord’s. I feel surprised at this, as I would have thought that Lord’s would be deemed safer than outgrounds to stage matches while adhering to any government guidelines in place, while the fact that England are not currently scheduled to play any matches at Lord's and that some other traditional matches (e.g. Eton v Harrow, the Varsity match and the final of the Village Cup if that competition does not start) may not take place at Lord's in 2020 would reduce the demand on pitches. Glamorgan have announced that they would stage all home matches in 2020 at Sophia Gardens, although admittedly that seems to be due to financial reasons rather than doubts about outgrounds’ ability to host matches. Then again, the fact that Middlesex don’t own Lord’s and that it is standard for us to host several matches each season at outgrounds means that I should hardly be surprised that we may not be able to play all home matches at Lord’s in 2020

Speaking to the Hampstead & Highgate Express, Richard Goatley confirms that he expects us to play many of any home matches we play at Radlett, with it being uncertain how many if any we could play at Lord’s, although he is hopeful that supporters would be allowed to attend. If supporters are not allowed to attend county cricket, albeit perhaps will capacities capped, then I am certain that many people would be up in arms considering that there are plenty of places which are either now open or which will soon reopen where social distancing is harder to perform - and where there is more risk of contracting coronavirus - compared to at a sparsely-filled outdoors county cricket ground.

New Boy 2 30 June, 2020 14:29
Do Government guidelines allow ball games to be played in pub gardens from 4th July?

If so, open the Radlett Pavilion bar to the public, entry strictly on production of a Middlesex County Cricket Club membership card, with drinks to be delivered to your seat in the garden.

Please be aware there might be a load of blokes playing cricket in the middle of the pub garden: we've marked out the area they will be using with a white rope... (Sm100)

BeefyRoberts 03 July, 2020 18:10
After today's announcement, will there be any club cricket this year?
Will there be any county/t20/50 over this year (first class) that we will be able to attend?

Things are not looking good for either of the above sadly.

Hope I'm wrong, of course, and will happily stand corrected at any time.

Jonathan Winsky 03 July, 2020 19:32
Hours after saying that recreational cricket was not permitted to start due to the risks which balls, teas and changing rooms apparently pose, Boris Johnson announced that recreational cricket can start next weekend. Therefore, the start of county cricket is set to end up having not taken place until international and recreational cricket had both already done so.

If there is good weather, then I can see these recreational matches drawing crowds, especially as, for the time being, people are not allowed to attend professional sport. This sounds like great news for clubs hopeful of generating much-needed income from the bar and (at clubs which charge for admission, which I think happens in the leagues in Lancashire and Yorkshire) gate, although if too many people attend, then I am not sure what would happen.

Jonathan Winsky 06 July, 2020 20:31
I was hopeful that today would be the day when it would be announced which formats would be played by the counties in 2020, but it seems that we will find out tomorrow. An article on Cricinfo written by George Dobell says that the decision on whether to favour four-day cricket or 50-over cricket is likely to be based on what is preferred by the majority of the counties, with Middlesex being listed amongst the 12 “Counties thought to favour a first-class competition”.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net