Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
George Scott
Discussion started by Ivor's Tache , 15 October, 2019 09:09
George Scott
Ivor's Tache 15 October, 2019 09:09
Has decided to leave Middlesex and has joined Gloucestershire.

Re: George Scott
SpinKingCracker 15 October, 2019 09:23
Here we go again. Another young, bright and talented player who clearly sees his pathway either blocked or mistrusts the Middlesex set up and situation. Some will say that it's money - and he did turn down a new contract extension - but there can not be a huge disparity on offer. Just when Scott was progressively feeling his way in, and looking a very good long term player for us - he does a Higgins and departs (ironically to Gloucestershire too). Something is not right here.

rod/ed 15 October, 2019 09:41
Déja vue, all over again. Although perhaps not as good a prospect as Higgins but we'll see if he flourishes elsewhere.

MB 15 October, 2019 09:54
Very disappointing news, but sadly I m not surprised

It seems some batsmen are given endless chances in the team regardless of form. While others are in, out , in, out and shunted up and down the order and never seemingly given a platform to settle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/10/2019 10:01 by MB.

freddie tittlemouse 15 October, 2019 11:07
Perhaps it is the opportunity to play in the 1st Division that appeals to him.
The inference that Gloucs may be able to pay him more than us must raise eyebrows.
Seems like our management's powers of persuasion and engendering enthusiasm are lacking somewhat.

Sussex Seaxe 15 October, 2019 11:19
This is rather sad. I don't know the internal workings of the club, but somebody who has come through the ranks and is starting to get opportunities, then deciding to leave, does at least, pose a few questions.

hdo 15 October, 2019 12:06
I'd like to think (optimistically) that if Scott doesn't feel he'll be given enough chances next season, that means that we have one or two cracking signings lined up. Plus, this might also mean that Malan is staying.

chunkyinargyll 15 October, 2019 12:40
To be fair he'd had quite a lot of chances and hadn't really taken them.

Career batting average of 17.3 not very impressive.

Career bowling average of 5 wickets at 53.4 not very impressive.

Scored his T20 runs at only just over a run a ball (strike rate 123. 56

[www.espncricinfo.com]

If he becomes the next Ben Stokes we'll know it was something wrong with our coaching.

Really he and Martin Andersson (and possibly Robbie White) were fighting for one place in the side. Maybe he was told Andersson would get first dibs next year so he was off.

snicko 15 October, 2019 12:47
Maybe the contract extension offered to Scott reflected his performances, which were set out in the press release i.e. 43 games, 692 runs and 6 wickets. That he is an outstanding fielder, there is no denying.

Given the choice between Anderson or Scott in a starting X1, perhaps it’s easier to understand Scott’s decision to move on.

chunkyinargyll 15 October, 2019 12:49
Snicko-

Correct.

People have been complaining all season we need to strengthen our squad, then get upset when someone with a career average of 17 departs!

freddie tittlemouse 15 October, 2019 13:01
The point being, that 7 of our regulars this season will be 30 or over next season and our latest signing is 29. Also a 1st Division team is quite happy to invest in Scott despite his record. Why?

chunkyinargyll 15 October, 2019 13:10
FT

Provided he stays fit I would suggest Andersson is the better prospect to bat at 6 and pick up a few wickets here and there. Remember we've been told Andersson is capable of 90 mph with his effort ball. I can't envisage a situation were both Scott and Andersson would regularly fit in to the same team, so something had to give.

Lace and Holden also need to be accommodated.

I know Scott was a very enthusiastic fielder, but basically we are better off letting him go and concentrating on the others.

chunkyinargyll 15 October, 2019 13:15
Bloomin' heck!

I've just realised Gloucestershire have given him a three year deal.

[www.gloscricket.co.uk]

Maybe Higgins' success has clouded their judgement somewhat.

Fozzie 15 October, 2019 14:58
I'm sorry to see George Scott go, but unless he was told categorically that he didn't have a future at Middlesex I'm reluctant to blame the club for his departure. He was given plenty of opportunities this season, and though he did reasonably well he hardly made an unanswerable case for being a first choice. I would hope that he would have received more chances next season, but even then there has to come a time when a decision is made on whether a young player has achieved the required standard. And if a rival is offering a contract, a decision has to be made on how much should be put on the table to beat their bid.

I tend to agree with Chunky that he recognised he would be behind Martin Andersson in the queue. And although we don't know what assurances were given by Gloucs, a 3 year contract with a Div 1 club is not to be sniffed at. I appreciate that, post-Higgins, the fact that he's moving to Gloucs is a bit of a sting in the tail - but my personal view is that Scott won't turn out to be another Higgins. Good luck to him, though.

adelaide 15 October, 2019 15:28
As usual with me, it's not so much the departures as the lack of arrivals which gets me.

I'd agree that Scott was much less close to establishing himself in any form than Higgins, who had made himself a one day fixture. I'd also say that from what I have seen he is a batsman who bowls a bit rather than an all rounder, though that may change.

The only thing I would say is that it easier to establish yourself at number 5 or 6 if numbers 1 to 4 are putting runs on the board. It has usually been crisis time when he has come in and that can't have helped.

Andersson does look the better prospect as a genuine all rounder, assuming he becomes fit to bowl again.

Adelaide

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 15 October, 2019 15:53
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Bloomin' heck!
I've just realised Gloucestershire have given him a three year deal.

[www.gloscricket.co.uk]

Maybe Higgins' success has clouded their judgement somewhat.
when moving counties, a two year deal is the minimum requirement. As you say chunky, a three year has to be snapped up with first division cricket in year one. George may become a late developer. A look around the counties sez we have had a few of those. Strong Mx side out there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 16/10/2019 10:01 by Seaxe_man1.

middleman 15 October, 2019 16:16
A young player getting a 3 year contract with a county outside of the London area would be very hard to turn down from a financial perspective considering the exorbitant costs of housing in London. Plus he gets the chance to play in Division 1.

In any event Middlesex needs to cut its squad to provide decent wages to those that remain including paying a premium for an overseas player. Don't be surprised to see one of the bowlers also going elsewhere.

BREARS 15 October, 2019 17:32
Having watched George for many years in the 2s and his occasional outings in the first team, for me this is very sad news. Bags of potential but continually overlooked and underbowled when he was selected. Watching others be unstoppable while averaging high teens and low 20s must be tough to take. He will be a big star in the future, our once great club is at a very low ebb

Jonathan Winsky 15 October, 2019 18:09
Although I had confidence that George Scott could become an effective long-term player in Middlesex’s 1st XI with bat and ball in all three formats (after often doing well in our 2nd XI), his batting performances were rarely as effective as I hoped, and he didn’t pose a great deal of threat with the ball. The 2019 season saw him 63 off 30 v Essex at Chelmsford in the Royal London Cup, 35 not out off 24 v Surrey at The Oval in the T20 Blast, and 55 v Leicestershire at Lord’s in the County Championship, but not much other than that.

The hope was that Scott would fill the all-rounder void that we have struggled to fill since Gareth Berg made his final appearance for the club in April 2014 (although Neil Dexter did a decent job in this role in the 2014 and 2015 seasons). The big winner from Scott’s departure is surely Martin Andersson, and hopefully he can fill this all-rounder void. Also, James Harris (18 first-class fifties and 1 List A century) and Toby Roland-Jones (11 fifties and 1 century in first-class cricket and 1 fifty in List A cricket) probably fancy themselves as all-rounders. So, I would like to think that we are well-stocked with players who can score runs down the order and take wickets, which means that Scott’s decision that his future lies elsewhere is perhaps not as great a surprise as it initially was when I heard today’s news.

Now Scott has left (while it can only be good news for Andersson’s hopes of playing extensively for our 1st XI that it seems that the chances of Dawid Malan leaving too have increased), Andersson will hope that the 2020 season will see him being a mainstay of our side in all three formats and do a lot of bowling, and therefore compensate for an injury-disrupted 2019 season. And I hope that Andersson will do what Ryan Higgins and Scott have not done, which is be an all-rounder who stays at Middlesex for several years!

The way I feel about Scott deciding his future lies elsewhere is similar to how I felt when Harry Podmore moved to Kent, as my view when Podmore left was that although I envisaged that the move would result in Podmore seeing more 1st XI action than had he remained at Middlesex, I didn’t feel that we would be made to rue the fact Podmore had left. We will have to see whether we will look back and feel that Scott is no great loss, or whether Scott will become the latest player to leave us wishing that we had done more to keep them.

freddie tittlemouse 15 October, 2019 18:15
Quote:
BREARS
Having watched George for many years in the 2s and his occasional outings in the first team, for me this is very sad news. Bags of potential but continually overlooked and underbowled when he was selected. Watching others be unstoppable while averaging high teens and low 20s must be tough to take. He will be a big star in the future, our once great club is at a very low ebb
But have you tried watching him from Argyll?
It's a different perspective up there.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net