Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: George Scott
chunkyinargyll 15 October, 2019 18:16
Jw- Agree with all of that.

There is no way we could, or should have matched Gloucestershire's 3 year offer.

If he had stayed next season would have been make or break for GS, with a 50/50 chance he might have ended up being released.

He was handy, but that was all. If he was good enough (better than what we have) he would have scored the runs and taken the wickets to prove it.

chunkyinargyll 15 October, 2019 18:29
I just dread it when I see BREARS post because I know it's just going to be another Trolling comment.

Come on then.

You go to all the matches.

So you MUST know who we are going to be signing this winter.

Come on- give us a name. You know- done deal 100% guaranteed.

Edit- This now makes little sense, as the offending comment that led to this reply has now been removed!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 16/10/2019 08:45 by chunkyinargyll.

Seaxe_man1 15 October, 2019 19:03
Quote:
Sussex Seaxe
This is rather sad. I don't know the internal workings of the club, but somebody who has come through the ranks and is starting to get opportunities, then deciding to leave, does at least, pose a few questions.
likely the same as all the departures. More opportunities.

Seaxe_man1 15 October, 2019 19:11
Quote:
freddie tittlemouse
The point being, that 7 of our regulars this season will be 30 or over next season and our latest signing is 29. Also a 1st Division team is quite happy to invest in Scott despite his record. Why?
A gamble by Glaws based on his age of 24. Time to improve. He didn't fancy our extension as like Patel found out, an extension doesn't mean opportunities. Mx recent culture with a few exceptions has been to stick with the old hands.

Bring back the Crusaders 15 October, 2019 19:22
Hope I'm wrong but it looks like were becoming a bit of a 'feeder club'for the bigger teams

chunkyinargyll 16 October, 2019 06:28
Post deleted as the offending comment by another poster has now been removed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/10/2019 08:04 by chunkyinargyll.

Seaxe_man1 16 October, 2019 10:05
Quote:
freddie tittlemouse
Perhaps it is the opportunity to play in the 1st Division that appeals to him.
The inference that Gloucs may be able to pay him more than us must raise eyebrows.
Seems like our management's powers of persuasion and engendering enthusiasm are lacking somewhat.
you can say that again Fred. Ed Joyce said something similar when he departed years ago.

Seaxe_man1 16 October, 2019 10:11
With Stirlo's departure and likely Malan. The white ball side has fewer options. Who replaces those two? Add Fuller who went last year which leaves proven options down to one on the batting front and one on the bowling front.

SpinKingCracker 16 October, 2019 11:32
Unfortunately, I have to agree with the point that you are making - and others do not appear to get that point. The point being - what is the strategy with these young players coming through ? There has been some consistently poor management decision making over the last several seasons regarding certain young players retained, and proving unfortunately that they are really not up to it - and certain young players being released/moving on of their own volition and succeeding elsewhere. There has been muddled thinking and no clear strategy from within the club - and yes I know, Law has only had the one season (and a relatively poor one) under his belt. Too many here just quote the stats (and yes, I know it's a stats game) regarding players departing - but those who have consistently been given opportunities and are still with us have not exactly covered themselves in glory, particularly in the batting department. Hence our abysmal position in the League. We seem at time to betray all the effort put into bringing ''our own'' through. Yes, it's tough and decisions have to be made but when they are consistently wrong surely the finger needs to be pointed at top management at the club. 2020 will be a watershed season for our club. If we do not demonstrate a serious all round improvement then there will surely need to be a clear out at management level.

Seaxe_man1 16 October, 2019 12:42
SKC. You mirror my thoughts exactly. With the recent departures, the uplift in white ball form this year will be difficult to maintain as no replacements of the required quality can be seen.

Red ball batting looks threadbare as well. At least two quality batsmen and an all rounder need to be recruited to provide the younger MX batsman with support .

Not to mention the thorny captaincy vacancy.

Seaxe_man1 16 October, 2019 15:44
As a rider to the above. We had a 27 year hiatus between 1949 and 1976. Can remember a fair bit of that period, flattering to deceive on many occasions. Trust we won't break that record.

adelaide 16 October, 2019 16:00
Quote:
SpinKingCracker
There has been some consistently poor management decision making over the last several seasons regarding certain young players retained, and proving unfortunately that they are really not up to it - and certain young players being released/moving on of their own volition and succeeding elsewhere.

The problem here is that players whose performances were more than up to it at that time have become shadows of their former selves. The most obvious examples are Gubbins and Eskinazi. Was it really a poor management decision to keep them? Or do you have other young players retained in error in mind?

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 16 October, 2019 16:18
SCR. Your management comments. The Club have restructured twice in a decade 2009 and 2019 in order to hopefully improve this area. This has largely been negated by the same people being voted back in, some of whom stretch back to the 1980's. It is a sign of insanity to follow the same path and expect a different outcome. 2009 reduced candidates from 20 to 6 and this year from 6 to 3. Ethnicity and gender board members were hoped for. All three wear two hats though one is a woman. The blue of Mx is therefore massively under represented at board level numbering just one

chunkyinargyll 16 October, 2019 16:47
Even though they are young Gubbins, Eskinazi and Holden (the latter mostly when playing for Northants) can all point to successful seasons in the past when they have averaged over 40, which suggests it ought to be possible for them to return to that standard.

The old 'Form is temporary, class is permanent statement', so it's clear why they have had more chances than some think they deserve. George Scott may yet make the grade, but unlike the other three he doesn't have a couple of good seasons in the relatively recent past to prove that the talent to make the grade is definitely there.

Even after a couple of poor seasons Gubbins first class average is 32.94, (7 fc 100's, 5 one day), Eskinazi 33.81 (6+1) and Holden 27.06 (3+1)

Clearly all three have seen their averages dip in the last year or two, but they can at least say, 'We've done it before, so we should be able to do it again'

I can remember asking on another thread what people would do about Scott, White and Andersson. As in- extend their contracts and possibly get stuck for another year (2021) with players who weren't going to make the grade, or run the risk of letting their contracts run down and in their last year they do really well, and get offers from elsewhere.

I'm sure all three were under contract until September 2020, but it looks like we were happy to let Scott go, but based on what he has done to date, would anyone really think giving him a 3 year deal until 2022 was a smart idea?

I wish him well, but you have to make decisions. It isn't Scott in isolation, because if he had stayed we might have spent half a season backing him, without giving Andersson a chance to show if he is good enough (might be, might not be) You see you're asking people to guess in advance who will have the better season next year, and who, long term will have the better career.

So all in all I'm not feeling especially despondent at Scott's departure. Hopefully he has a half decent career at Gloucestershire, and we thrive without him.

Seaxe_man1 16 October, 2019 17:00
From my memory of 2016 and from observation, Podmore and Higgins ability looked kosher and worth persevering with. I suspect however that the decision to ditch them asp had already been made long before. So there was no going back on that. We had a player in the past who was similar to some now. Jamie Hewitt. One season 1997. Never repeated. Another Ben Hutton.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net