Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Signings - the war chest
Discussion started by dingy bags , 15 October, 2019 17:40
Signings - the war chest
dingy bags 15 October, 2019 17:40
Thought it was worth a new thread, after the news about George Scott today.

So far, we've heard about a number of departures, Rayner, Stirling, Barber, Scott, Malan (almost certainly) and only the one arrival, Cummins. Looking at this situation positively, this creates quite a "war chest" of money for signings, over and above what we might pay to recruit Hanscomb. Hard to imagine that we could find three or four players who would be a big success but here's hoping.

Any ideas?

Re: Signings - the war chest
chunkyinargyll 15 October, 2019 17:51
Said it before, but I'll say it again.

From the academy first deals for Walallawita, Hollman, De Caires and Cullen.

None of them will cost much, so still money for Handscomb, plus maybe one other batsman.

We don't really need to strengthen the seam bowling- Murtagh, Cummins, Roland-Jones, Harris, Finn, Helm, Bamber is seven, plus possibly Anderson could play too.

No point having too many just for the sake of it, as whoever misses out only ends up wanting to leave, hence we are better off promoting from the academy as they won't expect to play more than a couple of games (if they are lucky) in their first year.

Seaxe_man1 15 October, 2019 18:55
We need three quality incomers for positions at opener, captain and number 4 and an all rounder at six. Number 4 likely overseas. Ross Taylor career wise could be looking at his options. Don't forget DB in addition to the payroll reduction we have the 1.3 bribe, so quids in.

chunkyinargyll 16 October, 2019 12:09
Deleted- no longer applicable!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 16/10/2019 12:21 by chunkyinargyll.

Seaxe_man1 08 January, 2020 13:17
The 'war chest' btw chunky is capped at 1.2 million per county.

Unsurprisingly, across the Rio Grand' , they would like that raised to around two million as they can afford it.

We might be able to, if we had better access to the MX T20 funds.

As it is, a fifth T20 has been moved to SJW. I wonder how much of that dosh (if any) MX will see, Uxbridge being the losers gamewise.

The Radlett T20 has been redirected to MTS where I think we have yet to win a whiteball match.

When the lump sum deal was struck, only 3 T20's were scheduled at Lords, this has since risen to five,

Observation says gates have risen and with it the drinks bucket, likewise the admission charge. So, a very healthy seven figure sum is added to the MCC bucket.

Any splash from that bucket in the MX direction is not likely to be substantial imho.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2020 13:25 by Seaxe_man1.

MB 12 January, 2020 08:46
What are people's thoughts on any additions to the championship squad, are we done ? or is there still another signing to come ?

dingy bags 12 January, 2020 09:03
We might be done. Plenty of experienced players on big contracts in the squad, so the salary cap SM talks about comes into play. But we do need more from those players.

Jonathan Winsky 12 January, 2020 09:04
As most county-to-county signings tend to be completed around July to October, and as it doesn't seem to be the Middlesex way to sign players from other counties, I am not expecting us to make any signings for our County Championship campaign.

If we indeed don’t make any signings, then it would come across as complacent, although it seems that our management have faith in a squad which is a mixture of players which contributed to the side winning the County Championship in 2016 but then having three successive disappointing campaigns, and a mixture of youngsters. I think that our management's argument is that they cannot identify anyone who is available and could improve our squad.

If we get promoted, then our management would probably claim that they were justified in showing faith in our current squad. However if our time in division two stretches into a fourth season, then questions would surely be asked about our lack of signings, and it may finally result in us making some signings ahead of our 2021 campaign.

chunkyinargyll 12 January, 2020 09:13
Unless we paid A B DeVilliers something truly ridiculous last year and plan to sign him again for T20 then I don't think we are anywhere near the salary cap (by ridiculous I mean 600 grand plus) so any pay restraint is not to do with a salary cap, but just a desire to not go in to the red.

I I would still have preferred one more experienced batsman, because Robson, Gubbins, Lace (or Eskinazi) Handscomb, Holden, is all well and good (six people fighting for five places) but you only need one injury and another one out of form to be short of runs. If all perform, no problemo, but the problemo is, 'Will they all perform?'

MB 12 January, 2020 09:51
Quote:
dingy bags
We might be done. Plenty of experienced players on big contracts in the squad, so the salary cap SM talks about comes into play. But we do need more from those players.

I think thats the key

snicko 12 January, 2020 10:15
For those of you who may not be aware - there is now a 25% London Weighting applied to the imposed salary cap for Counties to account for additional housing/living costs in the capital.

Seaxe_man1 12 January, 2020 15:04
Handscomb the only likely signing. Fills two vacancies for the price of one. Lineup bestish starting to look like. Robbo. Gubbo/Holden. Lace. Handscomb. Andersson. Harris. Simmo. TRJ. Finn. Bamber. Mutts.. 12th men. Esky. Sowter. Helm. Cummins. White. Plenty of rotation there possible. Looking for T20 os. Not AB.

New Boy 2 13 January, 2020 16:08
Is the current salary cap £2m + London Weighting or £2m including London Weighting? Or some other amount entirely.

I was expecting my friend Google to answer that for me but it seems that all the articles that look most likely to clarify the situation lie behind paywalls... :-(

Seaxe_man1 13 January, 2020 16:49
1.2 million.

chunkyinargyll 13 January, 2020 17:31
The salary cap used to be 2 million, but I have an iea it might now be 2,2 million (2,5 million for London weighting, although only Surrey are rich enough to go right up to the 2.5 million ceiling)

A couple of years ago an unimpeachable source told me our wage bill was 1.5 million, which surprised me, as I thought it would be more. Possibly that figure didn't include T20 only signings, but still low, bearing it mind at that time we still had Compton, Franklin, Stirling and Fuller, so I doubt it will have changed much. But the point is we're not Surrey. If we tried to match their wage bill we would quickly be bankrupt, so my guess is we probably cant go much higher than 1.8 million.

Seaxe_man1 15 January, 2020 15:40
1.2 + 25% weighting = 1.5 million. Can't see Mx going beyond that. There are a decent number of usable and reasonably priced T20 options around if Handscomb is not involved.

chunkyinargyll 15 January, 2020 15:53
S-M

Where are you getting the 1.2 from?

There is the 1.3 million the ECB are give each county as compensation for the blundred, but that is nothing to do with the salary cap, which is much higher.

As I said before, the ceiling for London and South east clubs is a bit higher (London weighting), but in one sense the actual ceiling is immaterial, as I don't think we can afford to go that high.

Seaxe_man1 16 January, 2020 12:52
That figure is the figure quoted by the hierarchy about a month ago. I assume no offence intended that they know from ECB. As mentioned in earlier post. Across the Rio Grande, they would like that figure raised. Some couldn't anyway even if they can. The 1.3 bribe in Mx case, has got to be put aside for many rainy days ahead.

chunkyinargyll 16 January, 2020 13:07
S_M You must have misheard.

This from Cricinfo is about a year old- but it confirms salary cap 'is about 2 million at present' rising to 2,5 million by 2024. Bear in mind we can add London weighting to that 'about 2 million'

[www.espn.co.uk]

Seaxe_man1 16 January, 2020 17:39
This info is straight from member's forum. In December. More up to date by a year and more reliable. I rest my case m'lud.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net