Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

The Mindset
Discussion started by Primrose Hillbilly , 23 October, 2019 18:26
The Mindset
Primrose Hillbilly 23 October, 2019 18:26
Dear All,

I saw this on Cricinfo as part of an interview with Virat Kohli, looking back on their recent Series win against South Africa.

Now, OK, it was a home series, which India would expect to win on their pitches. However, remembering reports of some of the negative comments and mental attitude of some of our batsmen, I thought some of the things he says are very relevant. From a previous era, would one of the great Australian teams, with Slater, Taylor, Boon etc have used the pitch as an excuse to not score runs. Not a bit of it. If they'd bowled a side out for 145 on a seaming wicket, they'd find a way to not get out early, and build a big score. No excuses, this is what we are there to do at the top of the order.

Kohil's words:
"It's again a great sign of the kind of intent that the bowlers are running in with now. The fitness levels obviously have gone up, so your brain is obviously supporting what you want to do, because your body also will support that workload.

"You bowl three good overs and if you're tired, then the other two [overs in the spell] are not as effective, and you lose the opportunity to take a wicket after creating pressure. But these guys are relentless, they're running in to just take wickets, bowl in areas that make batsmen uncomfortable.

"The focus was on spin [in the lead-up to the series], but the pacers have done the damage. We've become a multi-dimensional team now, and it's not [just] one thing that you need to counter when you're playing against us."

India's fast bowlers ended the series with a collective bowling average of 17.50. South Africa's quicks, in comparison, averaged 70.20.

After the first Test in Visakhapatnam, where Shami had run through South Africa in the fourth innings, Kohli had said Shami was capable of getting more help out of Indian pitches than anyone else he had seen. Asked how he and Umesh were able to get that sort of help while their South African counterparts could not, Kohli said it was mindset that set India's fast bowlers apart.

"We speak of doing things differently," Kohli said. "On a green pitch, say the openers walk into bat and feel like, 'well, the opposition hasn't gotten many runs, so we might not either', then you're not going to get runs. If you believe we can score runs on green wickets, you will get a hundred when the others don't. So it's about mindset.

"As fast bowlers, if you feel like there's nothing in the pitch but we can make something happen, you will make it happen, because that's the kind of effort you want to bowl with. If you look at a pitch and you just give up, then you're getting nothing out of it, so it's the mindset. They want to make things happen, they don't want easy cricket, they don't want easy situations, they want to have things which are challenging, and then they try to come on top, because it's going to do the team a lot of good if you do well in difficult scenarios.

"It's all about the mindset. They run in to bowl, they ask - even if the ball is doing a little bit - after the spinners have bowled, they immediately want the ball back, so they want to make an impact, they want to make breakthroughs, and I think it's about the positive mindset they've created for themselves."

Re: The Mindset
adelaide 23 October, 2019 23:19
PH

I wonder what has changed in their mindset since they lost 4-1 to England in 2018 (though to be fair the margin flattered England).

Adelaide

Primrose Hillbilly 24 October, 2019 06:56
Who knows?

Maybe they just decided there was no point having all that talent, if it was not channelled towards results for the team.

I recall the last time they came over here there were "tipping points" in each Test that went England's way, but also that England were expected to win a home series. Worth noting that India lost in SA last time too.

However, regardless of the surface you play on, you can take your mental attitude everywhere with you.

Were Robson, Eskinazi and Gubbins - mentally - walking wickets by the time they lined up so obligingly for Ollie Robinson?

adelaide 24 October, 2019 09:23
PH

All good points. The ultimate poor mindset was probably what Middlesex had before the Ciderabad relegation "tussle". While I doubt it would have made much difference, given the personnel available, they seemed beaten before they started.

The mindset that (say) our seamers can taken wickets on a bunsen has its own dangers, mind. I recall a match at Swansea where opening with seamers let Glamorgan get to 50-1 or something in their second innings. Spinners came on - carnage. Glamorgan opened with Croft and won the match. You have to be realistic sometimes.

England's batsmen have been criticised for their mindset and not having patience when it is needed. I suppose the point is that a positive mindset does not always imply playing aggressively. You can (and sometimes should be) positively committed to a negative, or at least, defensive approach.

As for our batsmen, it might take a whole busload of psychologists to work out what has been going on in their heads. Sometimes people can get into a mindset of trying too hard, I think, when things are not working out but I'm not sure how you get relaxation into a mindset. It's a bit like worry about not being able to sleep making you even more unable to sleep - I know all about that one.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 24 October, 2019 09:43
Good post. Kohli an intelligent man. I believe I saw that Swansea game Adelaide. Croft and Cosker added runs late on which proved crucial. 2009 I think.

adelaide 24 October, 2019 10:55
Jamie Dalrymple bowled too. I recall Croft shouting "Come on Dai" to encourage him. I think Shantry scored a few vital runs too.

Oh, and hearing someone saying "weather's tidy today"! Only in Wales.

Adelaide

adelaide 26 October, 2019 11:09
It's a lot more than mindset wot won it but some of what the rugby team showed this morning would not go amiss!

Years ago when Spurs won a big match a pundit said the MoM was the whole team. Exactly how I feel about the England performance I have just watched.

No triumphalism at the end either. Final to come -now that's a mindset.

Apologies to anyone who is intending to watch it on catch up.

Adelaide

Adelaide

Primrose Hillbilly 26 October, 2019 17:19
If you want to see what a mindset can look like, just see the film of Owen Farrell's face as he watched the Haka.

That was not a man who was going to let the opposition impose their game on him.

His face said, I'm taking you down".

Maybe our lot are just too damn nice, and aren't sufficiently bloody minded and prepared to upset a few people to get their way. I didn't think our bowlers bounced, hit and hurt enough of the opposition batsmen for a start.

However, the problem really lies in getting a set of batsmen who will do anything to preserve their wicket, won't sell it at any price and then will grind the opposition down.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net