Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Dawid Malan memories
Discussion started by BarmierKev , 05 November, 2019 07:23
Dawid Malan memories
BarmierKev 05 November, 2019 07:23
I am sad AC is leaving. I have many memories of class batting. This thread devoted to his special innings. I will start with the first time I saw him during our “home” quarter final against Stuart Law’s Lancashire. Coming in at 21-4 a century rescued us and was the reason why we set a match winning total. I particularly remember Flintoff shaking his hand in admiration.

Any other offers?

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Re: Dawid Malan memories
adelaide 05 November, 2019 11:22
That was St Dawid's Day, Kev. My first view as well. At 21-4 I was thinking of which pub to decamp to. He should have had Flintoff stumped too.

For a few days afterwards one of the BBC sites headlined a comment - is there a better player of spin in England than Dawid Malan? The spinners he marmalised were Simon Marshall (did he ever play again?) and Faf du Plessis! Not exactly Warne and Gibbs. and nothing to do with "real cricket" (these days T20 has become "real" now that it is under threat from the Hundred).

That matcvh saw the best and worst of sportsmanship - Flintoff running over to shake Malan's hand but also Cork using a very naughty word to Ed Joyce.

IIRC one of the 4 wickets was Ben Scott sent in at No 3, which I don't recall from any other match.

Adelaide

tallliman 05 November, 2019 12:18
I remember Dawid's debut at the Oval into the t20, in 2006 I think. He made 10. Fast forward a couple of years and that fantastic ton against Lanky. He arguably needed a bit more support toward the end of that decade but I've seen him score 11 tons now as he effortlessly leapt to a status previously only reserved for Ace.

Other highlights, the 2nd t20 ton at the Oval last year, his 182 at TB in 2015 and a 130odd in an England lions game there. So upset he didnt hit his maiden double ton at Derby earlier this year.

We mustn't forget his bowling which often broke partnerships.

Fozzie 05 November, 2019 12:44
Dawid is such an supremely elegant batsman, and so often a joy to watch, that as with Gower it is often easy to forget the application he shows. I remember the first time I saw him score a century, against Derbyshire in our promotion season of 2011; when he and Robbo came off at lunch after battling all morning on a pitch that had been more difficult than first anticipated, the signs of intense concentration and mental effort on Dawid's face were evident.

Equally, when I recall the memorable day in 2016 when we beat Yorkshire to win the Championship, the memories that first come to mind are that strangely bathetic period when the arranged run chase was being set up, followed by the breathless Yorkshire innings that was ultimately blown away by Toby. I tend to overlook that incredibly tense morning session when Dawid and Gubbo, resuming on 80-2 after coming together at 2-2 the previous evening, and with Middlesex still in deficit, had to find a balance between occupying the crease and scoring runs sufficiently quickly to give a chance of victory. They did so brilliantly, putting on about 120 that session, with Dawid ending on 116. Without those knocks there would have been no platform for Toby.

Finally, on a very personal note, although my late daughter was primarily an England supporter her final visit to Lord's was to see Middlesex v Gloucestershire in a one-day match in 2013, when she enjoyed seeing Dawid score 113 not out in typically graceful manner. That's a nice memory.

freddie tittlemouse 05 November, 2019 18:41
That throw in at the end of the 20/20 final (rescued from disaster by Dirk Nannes). Grrr!

BeefyRoberts 08 November, 2019 10:01
I didnt get to see Malan get the ton vs Lancashire at the outground,but watched his 182 at Trent Bridge was a joy to watch,when flowing a great batsman to watch.
Always approachable to chat,I remember talking to the great Geoff Norris,and Mala walked up,Geoff said well played to him (was a different game),Mala said 'Thank you Mr Norris'. After Mala left,I mentioned that to Geoff calling him Mr Norris.
He said,he calls everyone at club Mrs,Miss,or Mr,we have said no need,but said,yes there is.

rod/ed 08 November, 2019 16:18
Quote:
BeefyRoberts
I didnt get to see Malan get the ton vs Lancashire at the outground,but watched his 182 at Trent Bridge was a joy to watch,when flowing a great batsman to watch.
Always approachable to chat,I remember talking to the great Geoff Norris,and Mala walked up,Geoff said well played to him (was a different game),Mala said 'Thank you Mr Norris'. After Mala left,I mentioned that to Geoff calling him Mr Norris.
He said,he calls everyone at club Mrs,Miss,or Mr,we have said no need,but said,yes there is.

On a similar note he always touched or held the peak of his cap when shaking hands with the opposition.

Jeff Coleman 08 November, 2019 16:51
June 29-July 2 2008 MCCC v Northants at Uxbridge (the van der Wath match)

Dawid's CC debut and maiden first class hundred 132no. Had watched him previously in the 2's and was so pleased to witness this innings coming in at 36-4. I have a signed stump in my memorabilia cupboard thanks to one of Vic's charity auctions.

In the same match Ben Scott, who some said could not bat, scored 50 and 164no.

dingy bags 08 November, 2019 17:47
And I have another stump from the same game, also from one of Vic's charity auctions. Must have been an odd game, because I know seven other who have stumps from that match. (Only joking Vic!)

Seaxe_man1 08 November, 2019 18:03
July 13 2019 Cardiff. Mx first innings. Mala 166. This after being dropped straight after lunch for 41 and Mx would have been 131 for seven. A match winning knock full of good strokes and made the four day trip and was our last away win and one occasion where we looked convincing .

Primrose Hillbilly 08 November, 2019 19:59
There was that meticulous marking out of his guard, when Dawid came in, the confirmatory holding up of his preferred stump for the Umpire to confirm, and then he would settle, so still while the bowler approached.

From the stands, he exuded this air of calmness, yet slightly intense languidity. He always seemed to have so much time in hand as the ball came down. His batting - for me - was just a notch away from the utter grace of Gower, but I have not seen another lefthander come as close to matching Gower's beautiful languid grace. Like him, Dawid did not hit the ball to the cover boundary, he persuaded or caressed it. The ball always went along the ground, the fielders with very little chance of intercepting it, and were just reduced to trotting after it.

So many times, I thought the ball had beaten him, yet, at the last minute down it came and the fortress was once again secure.

There was a lovely, almost apologetic, understated, demeanour about him out in the middle with his pads on. A reluctant yet strangely resolute presence, whom you could assail, try to ruffle, beat outside off stump for as many balls as you liked, but as soon as you missed line or length, he'd seen it, selected his shot, and that was it, you'd still end up in the book showing as gone for 4 that over. Perhaps he didn't see what we saw in him as such a class act.

Once I was able too watch him play for England on tv, I was very surprised to see how hard he was talking to himself, muttering his mantras, or whatever it was that he did as the bowler ran in. He seemed so intense, by comparison with his outward demeanour.

Like a lot of people who really can see the ball early, they can play it so late. Sitting up in the Nursery end, Dawid faced bowling from the Pavillion, a seamer came in, two / three slips waiting, and sent one down. As you will recall, Dawid stood with bat raised. This time, he seemed to be still bringing his bat down from where he had raised it, so as to play a stroke, yet there the ball was, bissecting slip and gully, running to the ropes, and quite obviously placed there, with minimal effort. Nothing anyone could do about it, but fetch it. I thought him beaten by similar balls, yet they ended up down at third man on frequent occasions.

And then, on one September evening, out of the Pavillion strolled our own cool hand Luke, his team at 2-2, needing snookers, miracles and a whole lot more, and from then on, it just got better.

The wicket eased out, or perhaps, better batsmen were in and, then, to quote Duncan Hamilton, "Malan is detecting anything a millimetre wide or wayward, as though his retinas are radar. One drive off Ryan Sidebottom, also through point, is savagely good. Another, taking a big stride forward, is sumptuously attractive".

"Gubbins and Malan pass seminal stages of the innings, overtaking Yorkshire's lead, reaching their hundred partnership, and moving on".......... and that's the way they made it. If you listen to the Sky commentary, they too had worked out that Dawid and Gubbo had achieved the impossible, taken the sting out of the match, and made it ours to win.

Speaking to him later that evening, telling him I so loved watching him bat, and how graceful he looked; he thanked me so graciously that it seemed that I was the one doing him the favour.

He and a few others gave me that amazing day, that I will never forget.

No backward glances - just like when he was out. The good times far outweigh the bad, and you could always look forward to the next time pure grace would walk out to bat.

I feel right now as if we could go out and hammer the best Test attack in the world for 650, and declare, but I'd feel it was incomplete without one of those beautiful flowing drives that we could all just savour, enjoy and feel nourished by.

Good luck, Dawid. Thanks for travelling with us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2019 20:18 by Primrose Hillbilly.

Fozzie 08 November, 2019 20:28
Great post, PH. That just about says it all.

Seaxe_man1 09 November, 2019 09:28
PH. Another Mx lefthander with a graceful cover drive was Ed Joyce. Also a joy to watch on his day. I would say the best Irish batsman to date.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net