Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

A Handscomb looking signing
Discussion started by BarmierKev , 07 November, 2019 11:28
A Handscomb looking signing
BarmierKev 07 November, 2019 11:28

Re: A Handscomb looking signing
chunkyinargyll 07 November, 2019 11:32
Two years, and as captain.

At least that's sorted.

Welcomb to the club!

BeefyRoberts 07 November, 2019 11:59
Well,it has been bit of a secret he was possibly going to sign!
Welcome to our great club Peter,and good luck for the coming season.
Think it's a step in the right direction,somebody from outside the club coming in,so it's a sort of new start captaincy wise.
Slight edit..This is by no way a dig at any other regular Middlesex player not being captain material!
A Victorian,born in Melbourne.Age 26.Middle order batsman.,and the present captain of Victoria.
Yep,I'm happy with this,step forward.
Is he captain over all 3 formats?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2019 12:04 by BeefyRoberts.

chunkyinargyll 07 November, 2019 12:23
Says all competitions, Beefy, plus it is expected he will be available for the whole of the season.

adelaide 07 November, 2019 12:48
First class average of 38 (Malan's was 37). He'll do well as an individual in English conditions to replace Malan's runs. More important, perhaps, is whether he can help the other batsmen average 38 too.

The official site says he will be CC and List A captain. No mention of T20 though if he is available for the whole season he is presumably available as a player.

Adelaide

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2019 12:48 by adelaide.

freddie tittlemouse 07 November, 2019 15:31
Even better if he can help the other batsmen average 48. I believe it is better to have a captain from outside the club. New brooms etc. Hopefully if he and Law are familiar with each other there won't be any communication issues.

Importantly can he field slip, as we've lost both our slip catchers?

Peter Hanscomb joins the Middle
chunkyinargyll 07 November, 2019 11:29
It's official-

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Two year deal as captain.

Edit- beaten to it by one minute. Please delete thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2019 11:31 by chunkyinargyll.

Seaxe_man1 07 November, 2019 17:57
I presume he will open with Robbo. So a start. Tom Lace at three.!

chunkyinargyll 07 November, 2019 18:06
He seems to bat more often on the middle order.

Initially I think Eskinazi will be more at risk, so maybe Robson, Gubbins, Lace, Handscomb, Holden,

Could still do with one more experienced batsman (that still wouldn't block Holden, as he has batted at 6 in the past), but no idea where we will find one from.

Jonathan Winsky 07 November, 2019 18:58
Considering Dawid Malan has left Middlesex and we were left to rue our decision to not sign an overseas player for the County Championship in 2019 until Miguel Cummins arrived shortly before our promotion hopes ended, it is great news that the arrival of Peter Handscomb has been confirmed.

However, I remain to be convinced whether our squad for 2020 is stronger than in 2019, as the loss of Malan, Paul Stirling, Ollie Rayner, George Scott and Tom Barber means that the signings of Handscomb and Cummins don’t detract from the fact that our outgoings are more than our incummins incomings, even if the latter three players are ones whose departures I am hopeful we will not rue. Had we managed to make these two signings as well as keep Malan, then I would feel much happier about our recent activity.

After the talk about our players needing to slightly change the language they use in the dressing room, and the talk about Stuart Law’s philosophy possibly differing from Malan’s, it is telling that Law describes Handscomb as “the sort of character who will help create a strong positive environment that will keep moving the club forward”.

If Malan’s attitude didn’t have a positive effect on the rest of our squad, then hopefully Handscomb will do better in that regard. I know that Law has previously said that our youngsters often benefit from having an international batting at the other end, so it would be great if they enjoy batting with Handscomb.

If the relationship between Law and Handscomb can result in the change of attitude that Law demands from our squad, then maybe signing Cummins and Handscomb will be enough to get us to promotion.

Handscomb is an occasional wicket-keeper, so it will be interesting to see if he puts on the gloves for our 50-over campaign, for which he has been confirmed as captain, and in which John Simpson is expected to make few or no appearances due to his participation in The Hundred. It would be nice if the absence of Simmo could give Robbie White and/or Jack Davies a chance to keep wicket, although I suppose those two players already have a good chance of getting into our side just as batsmen considering Stirlo, Malan and Eoin Morgan will not be available for this competition in 2020.

As Handscomb will not be captain in the Twenty20 competition, it will be interesting to see who leads us. Morgan will hopefully be around for most or all of our campaign, but I don’t know if he will be happy to captain the side. Other options include Stevie Eskinazi, Steven Finn or Simmo.

MiddleToWest 08 November, 2019 13:16
Pah, when's the last time that having an Australasian skipper did us any good at all?

Exile_in_stockport 08 November, 2019 13:50
I notice that our usually chatty president has only retweeted this news and made no comment.
I also note a number of negative and anti foreign captain replies.
I'm hoping that we will make at least one more signing and coach up our underperforming batsmen.

Seaxe_man1 08 November, 2019 15:53
Chris Rogers maybe. Langer tried hard to save Mx Titanic as well.

Primrose Hillbilly 08 November, 2019 18:57
So, Stuart has gone back to those he knows a bit about for the second time - Miguel being the first.

I conclude that he's taken stock, after trying to work with the existing crew, got rid of one whom he perceived as not being on side early, tried to work with what he then had left, pondered, seen what he thinks is needed, reached for his contacts list and made a few calls.

So, it's a blast of Aussie positivity, aggressive batting and a "can do" attitude at the helm. From which, sadly, I have to conclude that he did not think there was a strong enough candidate from within home grown resources.

Also perhaps interesting to note that both signings with an obvious Lawman stamp on them are of players juuuuuuussssst beneath selection for the national side. - That ain't a continuing issue with Miggy, now that he's off the international arena permanently, but at the time of signing he was available for the Windies.

Once upon a time we had a perpetual squad throughout a long time constituted of at least 6 players thought to be just below Test status. Start with .....hmmm ... on revision a case could be made for Mike Smith being the first of these, G D Barlow, Radley, A. A. (Aaaaaagh) Jones, Selvey, Slack, Williams, Cowans, Edmonds (for reasons other than just ability) Roseberry (for one season), Gatting - was in and out of the Test team for pretty much all my teenage years, Wayyyyyyyne, Roland "the hurricane" Orlando Butcher, Simon Hughes, even Brearley falls into that category as a pure batsman.

Mind you, different times. The competitions they played in counted for something. 'twill come round again.

Darren Gosling 17 November, 2019 08:16
Handcomb's championship average (from 17 matches) with 3 counties across 4 seasons is 35.72
Langer's record (for us anyway) was 61.96 (42 matches)
Cartwright's record was 17.00 (7 matches)

Fair to say I'm not exactly blown away with this signing.
I do of course wish Peter all the best but from his past performances in England his record does look somewhat mediocre to me.

chunkyinargyll 17 November, 2019 09:00
I suppose some of those runs were for Durham where the overhead conditions favoured seam bowling.

On the plus side, he is worth two Hilton Cartwrights!

Cartwright now doesn't get in to his state side

[www.abc.net.au]

adelaide 17 November, 2019 11:53
Darren

I did point out earlier that Handscomb's first class average (that is, much more than CC alone) is 38, so there is no obvious treasure trove of runs made elsewhere that we can hope would be transplanted to Lord's.

We would not be able to get an Australian of Langer's calibre and record now (they can't be Kolpaks). Come to think of it there are not many Australian batsmen today that would get near his record. Their Test batsman cupboard is a bit less bare than ours but can you really see a latter day Chris Rogers being kept out of their current team?

I'm amused to see that James Pattinson will miss a Test for making abusive comments in a state match. That's another way times have changed; not that long ago an Aussie quick would have been suspended for not making abusive comments.

Adelaide

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net