Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Murtagh Retires from Ireland Duty & Signs 2 Year Deal
Discussion started by Middlesex Infinitum , 29 November, 2019 11:19
Murtagh Retires from Ireland Duty & Signs 2 Year Deal
Middlesex Infinitum 29 November, 2019 11:19

Re: Murtagh Retires from Ireland Duty & Signs 2 Year Deal
BeefyRoberts 29 November, 2019 11:32
Absolutely fabulous news.
Nothing else can be put!
Will put bit more...ok,I'm not politically minded at all,and really hope this thread doesn't turn into such.
Why the fools at ecb have to make players like Murts (and Stirlo) make these decisions is beyond me!
Still,Murts is with us,running in from the nursery end and adding to his wicket tally!
2 more years of watching him perform.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/11/2019 12:25 by BeefyRoberts.

chunkyinargyll 29 November, 2019 14:03
Good news indeed.

Will take Tim to age 40, and when he retires Ethan Bamber should have finished finding out all about God at Uni, and in a position to replace Tim full time.

Some good, sensible forward planning.

(Sm48)

adelaide 29 November, 2019 17:04
Wouldn't Ethan learn more about the Almighty by watching Murts bowl?

I don't know about it being "political". At some stage Test players from new Test countries have to be treated the same as Test players from the more traditional participants. My feeling is that this has happened too quickly and that it would have been better to allow irish players to play in the CC for a few more years to boost the Test team's playing level. The flipside is that it should hasten the development of professional sides within Ireland.

Adelaide

Jonathan Winsky 29 November, 2019 17:49
I wasn’t too worried that the fact that Ireland players can no longer play county cricket as domestic players and the fact that Middlesex’s overseas player berth has been filled by Peter Handscomb would result in Tim Murtagh having to cease playing for Middlesex. Still, it is great to have it confirmed that Murtagh is set to continue playing for us for at least another couple of years.

As Murtagh has said, there was never much doubt that if he had to choose between playing for Middlesex or for Ireland, then he would choose Middlesex.

About the only surprise is that Murtagh has retired from international duty with immediate effect, as it had previously been suggested that he would continue playing for Ireland until their final Tests or ODIs of the winter, which are currently set to be in West Indies in January.

After rumours about our dressing room not being the happiest of places, and with our squad for 2020 currently looking weaker than in 2019, I am not sure what to make of Murtagh saying “we have one of the most promising squads here now that I’ve ever been a part of”, “the club shared my ambition to win trophies” and “we’ve got a harmonious dressing room”. Maybe he is trying to show the positivity that Stuart Law demands!

In the November 2019 edition of The Cricketer, statistician Andrew Samson wrote that during the decade of 2010-2019, no-one took more County Championship wickets than Murtagh’s tally of 515 (which was 46 higher than second-place Chris Rushworth), and no-one made more Championship dismissals than John Simpson’s tally of 467, of which 101 catches and 1 stumping came off Murtagh.

tbl 03 December, 2019 22:12
Notwithstanding Murtagh's excellent past form, does it really make sense to give a 2 year contract to a 38 year old? Is he expecting to coach as well as play?

tbl 03 December, 2019 22:12
Notwithstanding Murtagh's excellent past form, does it really make sense to give a 2 year contract to a 38 year old? Is he expecting to coach as well as play?

chunkyinargyll 04 December, 2019 07:46
Tim has never been express pace, so no pace to lose, and he is lucky to be one of those people who never picks up any injuries. More likely TRJ ,Finn or Helm will need time out injured at some point.

Doubt he will play any T20 matches, will get rotated a bit in championship, so probably plays about 11 championship matches, and some 50 overs.

He isn't really holding Bamber up-yet.

freddie tittlemouse 04 December, 2019 11:16
There didn't seem to be any decline in ability or stamina last season and not at all injury prone so why not 2 years?

adelaide 04 December, 2019 13:32
Did he hold Podmore up though?

There is a germ of a point here, in that succession planning becomes difficult if the incumbent continues with powers unabated. Ask Prince Charles!

Adelaide

freddie tittlemouse 04 December, 2019 17:50
Quote:
adelaide
Did he hold Podmore up though?
There is a germ of a point here, in that succession planning becomes difficult if the incumbent continues with powers unabated. Ask Prince Charles!

Adelaide
In that particular case the Queen should be signed up for another 10 years!

adelaide 05 December, 2019 11:14
But not for T20!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net