Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

South Africa v England
Discussion started by BarmierKev , 29 December, 2019 12:50
South Africa v England
BarmierKev 29 December, 2019 12:50
Some inept batting and comprehensive defeat. I'm sure Blundered will put this right and more royal honours for the ECB

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Re: South Africa v England
BeefyRoberts 29 December, 2019 14:40
Abysmal is my description of this defeat.
Ok,illness did rip through the camp,and that cant bd helped.
But,there were some,well,diabolical shot selections in both innings by England.
Bowling was well below par,and,with the illness,why didnt we bat first? A certain player,no names mentioned,but wicketkeeper from yorkshire,really needs to take a look at his own performance and temper tantrum when jot getting his own way.
We have gone from the top test playing nation from a few years ago,to this damn mess now.
Are there behind the scenes things going on?
Too many interfering with coaching?
Captaincy?
All this,and a day to spare as well.

JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/12/2019 14:41 by BeefyRoberts.

Seaxe_man1 29 December, 2019 19:46
Problem was not helped by Graves describing everything as mediocre. Got worse since then.

Jonathan Winsky 02 January, 2020 19:26
What with the virus in the England camp (this crisis still appears to be ongoing), the last thing England needed was some injuries, which now includes Rory Burns being ruled out for the rest of the series. That is a big blow considering he was beginning to establish himself, and therefore giving England hope that one area where there was little for them to worry about was that of one of the opening berths.

If England’s Test results don’t improve, then I would like to think that ECB would eventually take notice and ensure that the county structure does a better job of preparing England for Test cricket, as one of the key objectives of ECB is for England to be successful, as that makes it far easier for ECB to achieve their other objectives, such as boost player and spectator figures and secure commercial deals. The English public are less likely to be drawn towards cricket if they think to themselves “cricket? Nah, England are rubbish”!

Jonathan Winsky 04 January, 2020 18:44
After day one saw several England players get out after making starts, I had a fear that today would see South Africa’s batsmen post a couple of centuries to take them to the type of score that it was initially hoped that England would have made. Therefore, it is great that England have so far prevented that from happening.

Hopefully England will bat better in the second innings and set South Africa a big target.

tbl 05 January, 2020 19:32
A much better performance today but the lack of preparation on overseas tours combined with the marginalisation of the county championship in the English domestic season makes the decline of our test team inevitable. The proposal to move to 4 day tests will further marginalise test cricket, which appears to be what the powers that be want.

BarmierKev 07 January, 2020 17:07
Well what a good advert that was for four day test cricket. Are you watching Ashley Giles?

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Jonathan Winsky 07 January, 2020 18:07
A lot of people will be hopeful that this match will dampen any arguments why Test cricket should be played as four-day matches, except perhaps in matches involving teams such as Afghanistan and Ireland. The 2019 Ashes provides another good example why four-day matches would not be a good idea, as that series provided a lot of excitement and ended 2-2, but may have ended 0-0 had each match not had a fifth day.

I felt the stage was set for James Anderson to have a big day today to potentially finish with 10 wickets and the Man of the Match award, but he had a side strain which restricted his participation today, so we will have to see how much further part he plays in this series. If he has to miss one or both of the two final Tests, then would make it harder for England to use the momentum from today to win the series. Instead, Ben Stokes had the big day and took the Man of the Match award.

Seaxe_man1 08 January, 2020 22:13
Tests should remain five days but allow flexibility available to tier two nations.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net