Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

MTWD Glossary
Discussion started by New Boy 2 , 09 January, 2020 09:45
MTWD Glossary
New Boy 2 09 January, 2020 09:45
As a new poster here, might I humbly request an update to the MTWD Glossary, please? I'm fairly sure I know who the Mexicans are but I don't understand what they are called that. There are many other phrases used with regularity on here that I puzzle over - I think an update is due!

Thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/03/2020 15:17 by London Leprechaun.

Re: MTWD Glossary
rod/ed 09 January, 2020 12:57
Spaniards = MCC , due to flag colour
ABU = Anywhere but Uxbridge

dingy bags 09 January, 2020 14:45
The Mexicans come from over the border down Mexico way, or over the river if you prefer. Most of the terminology peculiar to this site eminates from one particular poster/life member, who has a real knack for these things.

freddie tittlemouse 10 January, 2020 18:22
Who or what are the vermin? Should they be avoided?

Bobstan 12 January, 2020 10:23
I assume the vermin will be some form of @#$%&, tittlemouse.

BeefyRoberts 12 January, 2020 11:38
The Vermin....
This was first started many years ago,at Uxbridge with the then groundsman Vic Domain (now head groundie at Durham).
We all congregated by the pavilion steps on the patio part at a game,group of friends who first met eachother via this website.A few still go to games,either together or a group,but we always sit together,and enjoy our day.
I think it was a 50 over game,but I may be wrong on that,but ale was consumed that day and Vic,I think just came up with the nickname and it just stuck.
One of our crowd has sadly departed us now,our great mate Diamond,who's anniversary is in a week or two.
Some have flown the nest,but there are a few still remaining.
We have a 'Vermin Corner' banner that has been signed by a few in the past that does at times make an appearance,but is heavy to carry!
I'm sure other Vermin could add to this story!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2020 11:41 by BeefyRoberts.

Primrose Hillbilly 20 January, 2020 16:37
The Mexicans' ground south of the Rio Grande that runs through London is, of course, the Hacienda.

For what it's worth, I think the best MTWD name for a current player is "Dial M" - so appropriate for the grim smiling man responsible for the despatch of so many batsmen.

Did you know that in both the 2018 and 2015 seasons, he averages more as a batsman for us in the CC than does our only centrally contracted player?

adelaide 22 January, 2020 11:12
Though not in the discipline for which he is centrally contracted.

Once upon a time Dial M was considered an all rounder but these days he is pure entertainment with bat in hand, particularly well suited to those without a particularly long attention span. How many successive sixes did he and TRJ hit at Scarborough? What a pity there was no live feed in those days and all I could do was listed to it and chuckle.

Adelaide

Darren Gosling 03 February, 2020 22:01
Loved Niall O'Brien's description of Tim's batting in the Test match at Lords last year as the "no look hook"

Somerset championship winners none 15 March, 2020 07:41
Quote:
New Boy 2
As a new poster here, might I humbly request an update to the MTWD Glossary, please? I'm fairly sure I know who the Mexicans are but I don't understand what they are called that. There are many other phrases used with regularity on here that I puzzle over - I think an update is due!
Thank you.
I would like to endorse this request very much. To ignore a reasonable request from a new poster is not likely to attract them to the board, more likely to drive them away, Action needed mods.

It does not appear to have been updated for 10 years,22 of the player's nicknames listed left the club years ago.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 15/03/2020 08:03 by Gezza .

adelaide 15 March, 2020 11:09
There are other reasons why forums die. One of them is when you open it and see that the only posts that you can see on the home page come from one poster. There may well be posts by others but people (well, me for one) cannot be bothered to look any more.

So, if anyone thinks they are breathing new life into a forum by being a super-spreader of posts, please think again. You always hurt the one you love...

Adelaide

Somerset championship winners none 15 March, 2020 11:37
This forum was dying long before I returned to it.
Should it disappear the fault will lay with those like yourself who''couldnt be bothered''
Get your posts in quickly Adelaide and I promise not to respond for a week.

snicko 15 March, 2020 11:51
Here’s one for the glossary before I leave !

parasite
/ˈparəsʌɪt/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: parasite; plural noun: parasites
an organism that lives in or on an organism of another species (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the other's expense.
"the parasite attaches itself to the mouths of fishes"

Somerset championship winners none 15 March, 2020 12:12
And that would be a synonym for who?
I thought you were my friend snicks!
I suggest a separate thread for all my detractors should anyone be ''bovvered''(Sm74)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/03/2020 12:47 by Gezza .

BeefyRoberts 15 March, 2020 12:49
Many are bothered,just cent get a word in sideways at the moment...take-over bid!

London Leprechaun 15 March, 2020 15:16
This thread has been closed as it has gone off topic. If anyone would like to volunteer to update our glossary please email us at mtwdadmin@googlemal.com.

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net