Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Lincoln, Walallawita and Cracknell sign first contracts
Discussion started by chunkyinargyll , 22 January, 2020 13:32
Lincoln, Walallawita and Cracknell sign first contracts
chunkyinargyll 22 January, 2020 13:32
At last.

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Wish them all well on their journey.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/01/2020 13:33 by chunkyinargyll.

Re: Lincoln, Walallawita and Cracknell sign first contracts
adelaide 22 January, 2020 18:02
Ah great, I thought. They've sorted out Walallawita's status. Disappointing to find further down that they haven't. Seems bizarre if he has been here since 2004.

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll 22 January, 2020 19:12
Yes. I don't get that.

I thought the qualification period was 7 years (or at most 10) so maybe Thilan's fault is that when he was 7 years old he didn't realise that one day he would be good enough to be a professional cricketer, so neglected to register his desire (at 7) to qualify for England.

This seems to be an ECB thing, rather than a home office thing.

But if he was Joffra Archer I guess they'd find a way.....

Jonathan Winsky 22 January, 2020 20:03
I wasn’t sure how likely it would be that Dan Lincoln or Thilan Walallawita would receive professional contracts, as Lincoln plays non-league football (which takes up time and may not make him attractive to cricket clubs), while Walallawita has seemingly-unresolved eligibility issues. However, it seemed like there would be a good chance of Joe Cracknell being awarded a contract.

The fact that Middlesex will be without at least Eoin Morgan, John Simpson, Nathan Sowter and Tom Helm for the Royal London Cup due to those players being away at The Hundred, and with it possible that we will lose more players (I believe that the best England-qualified performers in the T20 Blast who are not currently signed to teams at The Hundred may be automatically given sides at The Hundred) means that Lincoln, Walallawita and Cracknell all have a good chance of playing in the RLC. And of course, the departures of Paul Stirling and Dawid Malan mean that there will be places available in the County Championship and T20 Blast.

Now Lincoln is a professional cricketer and I would have thought will have a regular income between the start of the contract and the end of the contract (I would have thought the contract will run between now and the end of the 2020 season), it will be interesting to see whether he will quit playing football, as he might be expected to train regularly with the Middlesex squad, and we might say that playing football carries a risk of injury.

Hopefully the issues with Walallawita will be resolved soon. As I wasn’t sure whether he would receive a contract, I anticipated that Luke Hollman would be best-placed to capitalise on Sowter’s unavailability for the RLC or in scenarios such as the possibility of a second spinner being required for a Championship match or Sowter or Mujeeb Ur Rahman becoming unavailable for matches in which they would otherwise play. However, if Walallawita remains unable to play, then I suppose that Hollman need not worry, although it would be a shame considering Walallawita has put in many great 2nd XI performances and deserves to play in the 1st XI.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net