Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
A bit of fun . Cricket combinations
Discussion started by BarmierKev , 26 January, 2020 19:13
A bit of fun . Cricket combinations
BarmierKev 26 January, 2020 19:13
To add some humour hopefully to MTWD thought would introduce a thread for quirky scenarios based on cricketers names.

The batsman is Mike Buss from Sussex in the 70's. Kiwi Ian Butler is bowling and the keeper captain is Richard Blakely.

Blakely shouts " Err Butler get that Buss out.

Any more ideas? l'll get my coat.

Re: A bit of fun . Cricket combinations
chunkyinargyll 26 January, 2020 19:37
Only the obligatory Lillee c Willey b Dilley, but did it ever actually happen?

chunkyinargyll 26 January, 2020 19:39
and I've probably said this before that one year there was a picture of Tony Buss in the Sussex section of Wisden.

Caption read- A Buss, County coach.

adelaide 26 January, 2020 23:22
Wasn't Mike Buss's nickname Minibus?

chunkyinargyll 27 January, 2020 06:38
Not quite what Kev had in mind, but does anyone else remember an episode of 'The Bill' from about 30 years ago, where all the criminals and solicitors were named after Middlesex cricketers.

There was a Mr Gatting, a Mr Gould, a Mr Selvey and a few others (about eight in all).

I suppose it was some sort of an inside joke by the writer, and it must be difficult to keep on coming up with fresh surnames each week, but someone higher up should really have changed some of the names, and with such a large cast and crew I'm sure some must have noticed the connection at the time.

Haringey Racer 27 January, 2020 09:15
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Not quite what Kev had in mind, but does anyone else remember an episode of 'The Bill' from about 30 years ago, where all the criminals and solicitors were named after Middlesex cricketers.

I don't remember that - I was never really a regular watcher of the programme - but I recall an episode of Bergerac where characters were named after the French football team. Battiston and Rocheteau are the ones I remember.

adelaide 27 January, 2020 10:36
Programme makers like in-jokes so why would anyone have wanted to change it?

The surnames in Gavin and Stacey are Shipman and West and I believe there is a Sutcliffe in there as well. If that didn't get picked up...

Adelaide

Quote:
chunkyinargyll
There was a Mr Gatting, a Mr Gould, a Mr Selvey and a few others (about eight in all).

I suppose it was some sort of an inside joke by the writer, and it must be difficult to keep on coming up with fresh surnames each week, but someone higher up should really have changed some of the names, and with such a large cast and crew I'm sure some must have noticed the connection at the time.

rod/ed 27 January, 2020 17:09
Howard Hughes was in Ever Decreasing Circles

adelaide 27 January, 2020 17:13
ct Mustard b Onions is one that does not have to be made up.

rod/ed 27 January, 2020 17:17
Kanhai Butcher Nurse Sobers?

dingy bags 27 January, 2020 18:47
This is supposed to have happened but I bet it didn't. A touring party once contained, among others, Alec Bedser and Jack Crapp. They arrived at a hotel at some time on the tour and it was Jack who happened to approach the reception first. The receptionist failed to recognise him or realise that he was one member of a large group. The following, brief conversation ensued:

Receptionist : "Bed, sir?"

Jack : "No, Crapp."

He was asked to leave.

BarmierKev 28 January, 2020 18:18
It's Surrey v Essex. Scott Borthwick is bowled by Sam Cook. Alistair Cook destros his leg spin.

Too many Cooks spoil the Borth(Sm159) (wick)

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/01/2020 23:03 by BarmierKev.

Haringey Racer 28 January, 2020 19:50
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Only the obligatory Lillee c Willey b Dilley, but did it ever actually happen?

It did. 1979/80 at Perth.

[www.cricketcountry.com]

I think I remember hearing the commentary (I was a student at the time so I may well have done an all-nighter listening to the radio) and my mind's ear tells me it was Alan McGilvray who kept repeating it with great relish.

Jonathan Winsky 28 January, 2020 21:41
One of the most noticeable instances of ‘c Mustard b Onions’ appearing on a scorecard was when they combined to dismiss Scotland’s Freddie Coleman in a Clydesdale Bank 40 match for Durham in 2013 to make the scorecard entry ‘Coleman c Mustard b Onions’.

Another combination which used to be a regular entry on scorecards was ‘c Beet b Root’ whenever George Beet and Fred Root played together for Derbyshire in the 1910’s and 1920’s.

A famous scorecard entry was when the Middlesex v Somerset match in 1933 saw Middlesex’s Harry Lee be caught by brother Frank off the bowling of another brother Jack.

Two events which there is a good chance of occurring in the next couple of months are the Kent wicket-keeper Ollie Robinson and the Sussex all-rounder of the same name (they even both share a birthday, were both born in Kent and came through the Kent youth system) combining for some dismissals on England Lions’ tour of Australia, and there being an England side which includes all three of Ben Foakes, Ben Stokes and Chris Woakes.

Bobstan 31 January, 2020 18:05
Tony Buss was known as Trolley Buss, and Mike as Motor Buss.

Haringey Racer 31 January, 2020 18:42
Of course there was the Leicestershire combo of Nixon and Agnew.

Gezza, 05 February, 2020 20:36
Somerset v Northants
Angell c Fiddling,

Gezza, 05 February, 2020 20:56
Lamb c Kourie b Rice for W.P. v Transvaal but not sadly in The Currie Cup

Gezza, 05 February, 2020 21:09
Jamaica v Guyana....Haniff c Gayle b Breese

Gezza, 05 February, 2020 21:17
Sussex v Oxford U, Spencer b Marks
I have plenty more..........

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net