Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Kolpaks
Discussion started by Seaxe_man1 , 05 February, 2020 18:06
Kolpaks
Seaxe_man1 05 February, 2020 18:06
Kolpak contracts end on 31st December. PCA want two overseas per competition to provide an outlet for some. The fact that the legal position of an obscure Czech handbal player was used to open the door here for cricketers sums up the nonsense of that trade deal??? Overall it has reduced opportunities for Academy players as they, kolpaks, were generally short term rescue operations.

Re: Kolpaks
chunkyinargyll 06 February, 2020 07:37

Seaxe_man1 06 February, 2020 12:31
Harmer at Essex will be a worry and Abbott at Hampshire are a couple of prime examples where their input has been significant.

Plus of course my Uxbridge memory against Northants circa 2008, where they fielded fielded I think, five saffers, who were all chatting to each other in Afrikaans in the outfield.

General Smuts would have approved.

The two above in paragraph one, would considerably strengthen the Saffers Test or One Day Elevens.

Northants ( btw) Beefy tells me, have reported a profit of £464,463. No wonder Stirlo has signed for them. They can pay him.

Plus bad news for the Grocer and his lame ducks. One of them has taken off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2020 12:39 by Seaxe_man1.

Bring back the Crusaders 10 February, 2020 22:47
Looks like quite a few S.A.players will be looking elsewhere for employment.
Does this mean Cummins who I believe we signed as a Kolpak player is now one of our oversees players?

Jonathan Winsky 10 February, 2020 23:31
I am confident that I am correct in saying that for the 2020 season, Miguel Cummins will play for Middlesex as a domestic player, with Peter Handscomb filling our one overseas player berth.

Cummins will continue to be contracted until 2022, so I am not sure whether there is a possibility of developments with politics and/or ECB impacting Middlesex’s intention that he plays for us as a domestic player in 2021 and 2022. If the situation arises whereby players can no longer play as Kolpaks, with ECB attempting to compensate for this by allowing counties to field two overseas players, then I would have thought that Middlesex would be willing to select Cummins as an overseas player.

adelaide 11 February, 2020 12:26
I would think that Cummins and Middlesex sorted out what might happen before signing, particularly as at that time the end of October 2019 could have been the exit date, without any transition. In which case he will be Kolpak in 2020 and overseas in 2021 and 2022.

I have seen it suggested elsewhere that the ECB could choose to retain Kolpak rule if it wished to. It is just that it is no longer forced to. However, I wonder if it would be legit under whatever rules we will be under from 2021 to discriminate in favour of South Africans as opposed to, say, Australians as the justification for discrimination - the existence of an associate trade deal, or whatever, between the EU and the country in question - will no longer be relevant to us. So even if the ECB wanted to retain Kolpaks (which they probably do not) it could result in an even greater influx. (Incidentally, given that EU trade deals are with countries, not "the West Indies", does that mean that not all West Indies cricketers could have become Kolpaks?).

The other issue is those with EU passports, whether or not of convenience. Generally speaking, EU citizens already here can continue working so they should be OK but what about new players seeking to come in via that route?

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 11 February, 2020 16:18
Adelaide. To stem the flow of kolpaks ala Northants. The ECB.said one is free. Beyond that. It cost a grand per one day game and a hundred quid a day for four day games. So unlikely they like kolpaks. Without control, possible to have a complete side I imagine.

Jonathan Winsky 11 February, 2020 19:12
Another West Indian fast bowler has today followed Miguel Cummins in signing a three-year contract at a county, with Jerome Taylor signing for Gloucestershire. Cricinfo’s article on this news says that Taylor will play in 2020 as a Kolpak player, but that it is expected that he will have to play as an overseas player in the two other seasons. Therefore, it seems that the situation with Cummins at Middlesex may be similar.

Bring back the Crusaders 12 February, 2020 23:27
Certainly up in the air but to be honest Cummins would not have been high on my list as a desired overseas player

Seaxe_man1 26 February, 2020 13:43
PCA have agreed with counties the following contract levels. Rookies aged 18 to 21 contract level 18000. First team minimum now 27500. Hence smaller squads with potential. The departures of expensive kolpaks should assist with the budget financing.

Seaxe_man1 26 February, 2020 13:43
PCA have agreed with counties the following contract levels. Rookies aged 18 to 21 contract level 18000. First team minimum now 27500. Hence smaller squads with potential. The departures of expensive kolpaks should assist with the budget financing.

tallliman 26 February, 2020 19:45
They've also agreed to raise the salary cap to 1.5m

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net