Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Dimitri Mascarenhas
Discussion started by Seaxe_man1 , 18 February, 2020 17:37
Dimitri Mascarenhas
Seaxe_man1 18 February, 2020 17:37
He has just signed as Mx T20 Bowling Coach for the next two years.

Re: Dimitri Mascarenhas
rod/ed 18 February, 2020 18:31
Always felt this was a job that would suit Murts. Is there a more knowledgeable bowler on the circuit?

Jonathan Winsky 18 February, 2020 19:36
It is interesting that Middlesex have appointed someone with the job title of ‘bowling coach’ for Twenty20 cricket, but have not done so in the two other formats, although I believe that 2nd XI coach Alan Coleman helps out with our bowlers for those competitions.

The appointment of Dimitri Mascarenhas as bowling coach for our T20 campaign in 2019 seemed to be a success, as Tom Helm, Steven Finn and Toby Roland-Jones played in all of our matches and impressed at various points (the same was true of Nathan Sowter, but I don’t know if he worked with Mascarenhas), while we made a rare exertion into the knockout stages, so it seems like a great idea to engage Mascarenhas for two more seasons.

I can’t help feeling that success or failure in the T20 Blast can come down to how well we start our campaign. For example, a lot of our campaigns have started with hope, only for us to get off to a bad start, not be able to recover, and end up with an unsettled side. However, by contrast, our campaign in 2019 didn’t see us suffer any back-to-back defeats until our 12th group match, which meant that our side remained settled, particularly in the bowling department. We will have to see whether or not form, fitness, international call-ups and other issues will enable us to have a settled bowling line-up in 2020.

Considering the departures at the club in recent months, it would seem more logical that we sign some batsmen or a batting coach than bring in Miguel Cummins and re-engage Mujeeb Ur Rahman and Mascarenhas. However, I suppose another school of thought is that the fact that our batting department is set to be weaker is all the more reason to ensure that our bowlers can minimise the scores our batsmen have to chase or that our bowlers can defend low scores.

Seaxe_man1 18 February, 2020 20:05
Dimi was always a thorn on our side as a player. Mx have always been poor at death bowling. Dimi was good and has the knowhow. I wish him the best of luck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net