Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Women's T20 World cup
Discussion started by Gezza, , 20 February, 2020 19:27
Women's T20 World cup
Gezza, 20 February, 2020 19:27
The competition starts tomorrow with current champions and host nation Australia, of course, strong favorites, but England whose first game is on Sunday must be in with an outside chance. Sadly no Middlesex representation on this occasion, but let's get behind our ladies anyway and give them our support on this thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/02/2020 19:47 by Gezza of the middle.

Re: Women's T20 World cup
tallliman 21 February, 2020 11:12
The tournament is off to a start with a shock. Only Healy and Gardner managing double figures in chasing what felt like an under par India total. India start with a win and my pre-tournament favourites start with a loss.

Gezza, 22 February, 2020 09:37
A comfortable win for The Windies this morning. but Thailand by no means disgraced in a brave performance.

Jonathan Winsky 22 February, 2020 10:21
The evidence of today’s match suggests that although Thailand aren’t that great in the batting department, their bowlers could cause teams some problems. Had Thailand had a decent amount of runs to defend rather than have posted 78-9, they could well have beaten West Indies.

The four most dominant international teams in women’s cricket have tended to have been Australia, England, India and New Zealand. The fact that three of those teams are in the group not containing England feels like a relief from England’s point of view, and will mean that it is not possible that all four will reach the semi-finals (as a side note, this means that the semi-finalists cannot be the same as the 2019 men’s 50-over World Cup). Despite England’s group appearing weaker, it nonetheless contains 2016 champions West Indies and a South Africa side who have come on leaps and bounds in recent years and who nearly knocked England out in the semi-finals of the 50-over World Cup in 2017.

After Australia comfortably won the Ashes last summer, I expected that they would comfortably win this tournament on home soil, but yesterday’s defeat v India suggests that their path will not be so smooth.

Like a lot of tournaments, winning it will simply be a case of finding a way out of the group stages and then performing well enough on the day of each knockout match to get the important win. If you are going to have a bad day, it is better to get it out of the way in the group stage than in the knockout stages.

Seaxe_man1 22 February, 2020 21:44
Fran Wilson is ex Middlesex I believe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/02/2020 21:45 by Seaxe_man1.

Gezza, 23 February, 2020 10:17
England go into their opening fixture against The Saffers today. as heavy odds-on favorites. A full-strength team needs to guard against any complacency however and secure a convincing victory. Good luck ladies.
England bat first.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/02/2020 10:34 by Gezza of the middle.

adelaide 23 February, 2020 11:08
Good luck to the gentlemen too whenever they play. I suppose that you did say on another thread that you are a traditionalist, Gezza.

Adelaide

Gezza, 23 February, 2020 12:42
Complacency and carelessness were certainly evident in England's innings. Thanks only to the responsible batting of Nat Sciver does England retain a realistic chance of victory.

Gezza, 23 February, 2020 14:22
Who were the first married couple to play cricket for England?

Any chance Jonathan or anybody answering my question?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/02/2020 19:15 by Gezza of the middle.

tallliman 23 February, 2020 16:05
England didnt get enough runs and when they eventually went for the runs found it a touch easier than they expected. Dane van Niekerk had a wonderful game, I'll always hold her 90odd in Lufbra Lightning's first season as one of the best t20 innings I've seen.

As an aside, 3 games on the same strip all won by the side chasing doesnt speak to me of the easiest surface.

Gezza, 26 February, 2020 10:47
An undemanding win for England over Thailand this morning.

Jonathan Winsky 26 February, 2020 19:07
As England’s defeat v South Africa on Sunday impeded England’s chances of finishing above South Africa in the group and thus meant that England could do with finishing above West Indies, one of my first thoughts when I saw that England were on course to comfortably win today was that it could be beneficial to them that their win v Thailand made a greater impact on net run rate than when West Indies had their win v Thailand. However, the fact that today's second match saw West Indies suffer a surprise defeat v Pakistan casts doubt over whether South Africa and West Indies are the only teams likely to threaten England’s chances of qualifying for the semi-finals.

I suppose that all England need to concern themselves about is winning their final two group matches v Pakistan and West Indies in the coming days, as two wins ought to get them into the semi-finals.

tallliman 26 February, 2020 19:15
Sounded like a solid win today v Thailand. The concern must be both openers throwing it away a bit early on. Glad to see Sarah Glenn doing well, it was one of my highlights from the KSL seeing her grow as a player.

Gezza, 26 February, 2020 19:17
[quote Gezza of the middle]Who were the first married couple to play cricket for England

Any chance of Jonathan or anybody answering my question?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/02/2020 19:25 by Gezza of the middle.

Jonathan Winsky 26 February, 2020 20:34
I think that the first married couple to play cricket for England were Roger Prideaux and Ruth Westbrook.

Gezza, 26 February, 2020 20:40
Of course, they were.thank you JW.

adelaide 28 February, 2020 11:25
Seventeen runs from wides?

Coaching from Tom Barber?

Adelaide

Gezza, 28 February, 2020 13:31
Impressive performance this morning sees our ladies well placed for semi-final place.

Jonathan Winsky 01 March, 2020 11:32
Well done to England on qualifying for the semi-finals on Thursday for the sixth time in seven World T20 tournaments.

Four more group matches will take place over the next two days, although the only issues outstanding are the questions of who will join India in qualifying from Group A, and the order in which England and South Africa will take the top two places in Group B. With regards to the former issue, whoever wins tomorrow's Australia v New Zealand match will qualify, with it being a big surprise if it turns out to be NZ. With regards to the latter issue, South Africa should finish top on net run rate if they beat West Indies on Tuesday (although they might have to settle for second-place if their win is by a narrow margin), otherwise England would finish top.

tallliman 01 March, 2020 12:09
Really good performance by England today. WIndies faced far too many dot balls through their innings whilst England scored loads of singles and 2s. Spinners bowled very tightly, benefits of having that variety. Well done to Sophie Ecclestone in particular for her 50th t20i wicket.

The worry must be that Sciver and Knight have 68.8% of Englands runs off the bat. For Aussies top 2 scorers, that's only 54%

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2020 12:10 by tallliman.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net