Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: New ECB Chaitman
Gezza, 28 February, 2020 23:15
Good night SM. Big game tomorrow for The Mighty Whites, good luck to them but time for your beauty sleep.
Apparently, when Lattimer flashed his red card at Uxers, they turned him away. That was one lucky escape for him at least.
Ah. Southgate, now you're talking, the jewel in The Middlesex crown. Remember those bacon rolls for breakfast, to die for, once saw Gatt demolish three of them in one go, and then go out and hit a hundred. You'd be lucky to get a lettuce sandwich at your place.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 29/02/2020 00:19 by Gezza of the middle.

adelaide 29 February, 2020 00:52
Quote:
Gezza of the middle
And an opportunity to pay tribute to the much maligned outgoing chairman who in his five years in office has overseen much-needed governance reform, the move to an independent board, the creation of The 100, a record,-breaking broadcasting deal with both Sky and The BBC, both men and women's senior teams winning world cups and a substantial growth in the game at grassroots level.

Not a view shared by many cricket supporters, I suspect. Has he not also overseen a collapse in the ECB reserves and bet the farm on a franchise format which is an existential threat to many of the counties whether or not it succeeds? Then there was the Durham affair...

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 29 February, 2020 07:48
Well geza a lettuce sandwich at Lord's if obtainable would cost a bomb. A suffragette wrote to the Telegraph a year or two back. Saying she attended a Mx membership introductory day at Lord's. Said she found it elitist, stuffy, sexist and overrated and wouldn't darken the doorstep again. An abl I guess. Yeah the bacon rolls at your joint were good until the chef fell out with your mob and left. Not so good afterwards.

Seaxe_man1 29 February, 2020 08:22
Thanks geza for your good wishes to the Mighty Whites. Big game today versus Preston. Our new Riverside Stand is shaping up with the walkway looking good. Unfortunately Brewer not a friend of Mx is a season ticket holder at FFC. We lost all four games last year v @#$%& and Totti. Put FFC in a bad light though we were stitched up by a pro Totti ref at cc. Sessegnon who had his head turned with talk of England glory over at Totti like Steed is wasting his time there. He's further down the pecking order than at FFC. Maureen has told him he will never make a full back at Totti. We knew that anyway. Tara for now. Have enjoyed the conversation.

Gezza, 29 February, 2020 10:17
Always a pleasure to chat with you SM, we may not agree on many topics but your refusal to resort to rudeness or personal abuse unlike some on here is most refreshing.I've known you for nearly 50 years and never doubted your support or dedication to The Mighty Middle.long may it continue.
I am of course a Totti boy myself, but I always enjoyed my trips to The Cottage, and I hope to see you back with the big boys very soon.

Gezza, 29 February, 2020 10:34
[quote adelaide][quote Gezza of the middle]And an opportunity to pay tribute to the much maligned outgoing chairman who in his five years in office has overseen much-needed governance reform, the move to an independent board, the creation of The 100, a record,-breaking broadcasting deal with both Sky and The BBC, both men and women's senior teams winning world cups and a substantial growth in the game at grassroots level.[/quote]

Not a view shared by many cricket supporters, I suspect. Has he not also overseen a collapse in the ECB reserves and bet the farm on a franchise format which is an existential threat to many of the counties whether or not it succeeds? Then there was the Durham affair...

He's always been a risk-taker Adelaide,that's how he made his millions and I realize not everyone's cup of Yorkshire tea, but he is a great lover of the game and his support and generosity to his native county is unprecedented. Besides that, I have to declare a personal prejudice as he did once buy me a drink at Scaborough after I confronted him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/02/2020 10:38 by Gezza of the middle.

adelaide 29 February, 2020 11:16
Quote:
Gezza of the middle
his support and generosity to his native county is unprecedented.

What better way to do that than to reduce the number of counties, safe in the knowledge that his own will be one of the survivors? Or (and I admit this is getting a bit tinfoil hat conspiracy theory) ending up in a situation where a close geographical rival is neutered?

Risk-taking is all very well but if it goes wrong it is the rest of us who feel the consequences, not Graves! The questions are (i) whether the risks are calculated ones and (b - for the Hundred) whether the claimed objectives could have been met with less of a downside by putting money into the county T20 Blast instead.

Risk-takers, visionaries or whatever also need a realist alongside them to ask the difficult questions. Graves has Harrison and produced money to stifle opposition amongst the counties. Where was the reality check?

Adelaide

Gezza, 29 February, 2020 12:36
I'd remove that tin-foil hat if I were you Adelaide.and take a more optimistic view of the future.
The county championship has survived for 130 years and never lost any of its participants yet, the theory that some might go to the wall has been expounded as far back as I can remember but never happened. The last county to lose it's first-class status I believe were Cambridgeshire in about 1867.
In the unlikely event of any descending to The Minor Counties it 'll not be the fault of Colin Graves.
He's labeled the current 20/20 competition as 'mediocre' and I have to agree with him whilst the introduction of franchise cricket in India, Australia and elsewhere has revitalized the game in those places and emerge as a popular sport in countries where previously it was unheard of.
You may argue that the culture over here does not lend itself to such a change and you may be correct, research shows differently. You and I Adelaide will be around for a little while yet hopefully but we are not the future which is where we should be looking to. Have a bit more faith rather than joining the doom merchants.

P.S.Do you miss those bacon rolls down at The Adelaide Kitchen?

adelaide 29 February, 2020 14:42
The counties have never had to deal with franchise cricket as a rival.

Australia actually has more franchise teams than Shield teams so in a sense has done the opposite to what we are doing. There is also far greater geographical concentration around the cities. I am not familiar with how the Indian model has changed domestic cricket but the T20 there certainly has been a success.

You say T20 Blast cricket here is mediocre. Maybe so but many counties sell out regardless.

I accept that counties could go under for non-franchise related reasons but as you point out, in the absence of franchises none have gone under. So if they do in the next five to ten years, it is likely that the franchises will be the root cause and that goes straight back to Graves. I specify "franchises" rather then "Hundred" because the messing about with the format is not fundamental and could easily be reversed.

I have no faith in Graves and Harrison. They have given me no reason to have faith. I may be a Jeremiah on this (perhaps you are the Pollyanna?) but it seems to me that if it succeeds it pushes the counties (and the county championship) to the periphery, at best, while if it fails the game as a whole will be bankruptcy. Heads we lose, tails we lose. Not the right sort of risk to take.

Bacon ... aaah! No idea about the Adelaide Kitchen but it's nothing to do with my user name.

Adelaide

New Boy 2 29 February, 2020 17:42
Blimey - am I the only one who didn't understand a word of that Gezza/Seaxe_man conversation? What's an abu?
Where is the club down the road?
I get that the bacon and eggs are MCC.

It's like speaking a foreign language! smiling smiley

Seaxe_man1 01 March, 2020 11:03
A couple of further points Gezza. Northants a popular media favourite to go to the wall reported a profit of 646 grand for 2019.. Always puzzled why they are targeted. Their property portfolio is ground, pub and several houses. Far greater than Mx. I own one token share in Northants. In addition one point overlooked re Middlesex's oldest club Uxbridge Cc 1789. The stands at the game which Hardstaff tried to charge for cost Russell Grant 15 grand. A native of nearby Harefield and solid Mx man. Hardstaff was a poor Mx CEO btw.. Mx is today of 17 London Boroughs. Plus Spelthorne a kinda Kashmir with the Mexicans. It ain't just about Haringey and Enfield. My council tax goes to Harrow. Birth place of Mike Brearley and John Price two England men. Plus I was at the Hardstaff game. It rained a lot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2020 11:06 by Seaxe_man1.

Gezza, 01 March, 2020 12:08
I always had the impression that The Air Commodore had rather a love/hate relationship with cricket, he showed little affinity with the modern game, its players, or the members of the committee at the time. Together with his devoted assistant Daphne, he seemed to think that people could be treated in a similar fashion as those who served under him in The RAF. It did not endear him to many and he retired as a rather sad and forlorn figure.
One can show some sympathy for his attitude, brought up in the shadow of his famous forebears, his own cricket career was frustrated at an early age when his father forbade him from accepting a professional contract with Nottinghamshire at 17 fearful possibly that ''young Joe junior'' might surpass his own achievements in the game.
His undisguised contempt for his father was evident. He described him as distant, absent from home as often as he could be and more concerned with enhancing his own career than looking after his family, sons of famous fathers often grow up resenting them.
Not as bad as his predecessor, however, the notorious Peter Packham whose main pass-time whilst secretary was looking up the names and addresses of lady members before stalking them. He was very quickly got rid of.

Seaxe_man1 01 March, 2020 12:38
A couple of other Hardstaff gaffs. Forgot to post Dean Headley contract renewal. Plus to save ,3 grand told Members to collect their pre season info and card from Lords. 8000 or so not impressed. Off to Wembley now for Caraboa Final.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2020 19:55 by Seaxe_man1.

Seaxe_man1 01 March, 2020 22:35
Yup Gezza.A hard earned three points for FFC. It looks as though Totti are going down the Swannee with Maureen. Basically yesterday's man. His best effort was with Porto. Watched the Villa v Citeh men against boys. Looked in second gear most of the time. De Bruyne came on after about 50 odd minutes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2020 14:25 by Seaxe_man1.

Gezza, 02 March, 2020 00:16
Jose is a winner SM, it may take a bit of time especially with HK laid up, Sess is quality and his time will come too,.Steed was overrated and overpriced, set up to fail as you say, where is he now?
Let's not go too far off-topic, with all this footyspeek or the chief mod will be on our case.
The worry remains that we may all soon be self-isolating rather than cheering on our favorites, no such concerns though at Uxers, where there will always be plenty of room to spread out.

A question for all, and who can beat JW to the answer............ Name the Spurs manager who played cricket for Middlesex?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2020 00:56 by Gezza of the middle.

Seaxe_man1 02 March, 2020 07:44
Don't know the answer to that. Joe Hulme @#$%& did and Sid Russell Brentford did plus going back a bit Lionel Moon Fulham did. Another interesting historical fact. BJT Bosanquet a leg spinner with a test best sevenfer born Enfield played club cricket for Uxbridge. So he must have reckoned they did something right. Around that time Uxers played Hampstead whose overseas player was Spofforth the demon Aussie fast bowler. Latest update. Some improvements to Uxbridge Pavilion. A lift I think has been added to access the top floor. H and S I guess. Lattimer could sneak in that way. Ruth beware. Sessegnon not rated by Maureen. Steed international class as with Clint and Moussa wasted their time over at Totti. Steed I think was outa contract I think. So free. FFC offered 50 grand back then. Can't see Levy topping that.. Strange. Whatmore to visit Uxers on tour maybe.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2020 14:24 by Seaxe_man1.

adelaide 02 March, 2020 10:41
All these quiz questions are starting to remind me of another forum related to Graves's county...

Adelaide

Gezza, 02 March, 2020 11:51
It was the @#$%& man you mentioned SM.
I love a quiz question Adelaide,keeps the old brain active .I've had too many disputes down the corridor in the past to want to go down that route again.unfortunately not many on here share my enthusiasm,it's just our man in Watford who normally makes the effort, but I'll keep trying.
This reminds me SM of sharing a spot on a Seaxe Quiz team with you, must be over 40 years ago now, where if memory serves me right we stuffed The Ovalteenies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2020 12:37 by Gezza of the middle.

Seaxe_man1 02 March, 2020 14:18
Yes I vaguely remember that evening. Over in the Hacienda I seem to recall. The Mexicans were awarded some dodgy points by the di Mesquita guy.

Your other question which I overlooked. Sorry footie.

Steed after you dumped the poor bloke up at Wunderland, long ball definitely not his game. Tenacious midfielder who got important goals.

He got five for FFC one year worth fifteen points. One favour totti did ffc, was Danny Murphy. Once we got the beer gut off him did a fine job.

Steed after he left Wunderland returned to France where he has since retired from playing.

One favour you did'nt do ffc. was that muppet Jol. Got us relegated after he got rid of the spine of the team, Replaced by his muppets who were mostly useless.

Plus your favourite cricket club Uxers, hosted Citeh before the Carabao match. A nice little earner for Anne and her team.

Can only be a matter of time afore Anne hosts Whatmore on his tour of the counties. Mx with five grounds will keep him busy afore he heads further afield.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2020 14:29 by Seaxe_man1.

Gezza, 02 March, 2020 15:02
Don't get me started on The Mosquito SM, lovely old boy really.
I've done with the footyspeek,your memory of a time gone by far better than mine.I'll never forget Jol though, did he still have his travelcard when he left your place?
Whatsmore apparently asked Harrison about the other place, since he'd played there once or twice, he turned white, started shaking and warned him to stay away at all cost.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net