Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Poll: Outgrounds
Discussion started by Gezza, , 04 March, 2020 12:03
Poll: Outgrounds
Gezza, 04 March, 2020 12:03

Which of these outgrounds is your most favoured?

Southgate
Uxbridge
Radlett
Richmond
Old Merchant Taylors
Shenfield
Elsewhere
None of the above

You must be logged in to vote.

27 Votes

Show results

The recent debate on the merits of different venues prompts one to ask where do you like going to the most?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------===============================================================================+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++==================================================================================================--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Poll: Outgrounds
Jonathan Winsky 04 March, 2020 19:37
As I live a short walk away from Preston Road station, I prefer it when Middlesex play at Uxbridge or Merchant Taylors’ School compared to our other outgrounds, with my preference of those two probably being MTS, as I tend not to have much difficulty in getting a good seat there, plus the nearest Metropolitan line station is served by services to and from three destinations (Watford, Amersham and Chesham), so the wait for the train I require is seldom long.

I would have thought that a lot of supporters' preferences in regards to which outground is - or outgrounds are - their favourite will be influenced by where they live.

I am surprised that there is not as much online evidence of unpopularity with Radlett as there is with Uxbridge considering Radlett is located outside both Middlesex and TfL fare zones 1-9, and I imagine that Middlesex have a similar or greater number of supporters who find Radlett difficult to get to as they do who find Uxbridge difficult to get to. Both myself and my dad fall short of matching Middlesex’s desire to stage matches at Radlett, but from what I can gather, it seems that Radlett is popular with many members of playing and non-playing staff at Middlesex. Then again, considering I think that the relationship between our other outgrounds and the staff at Middlesex is not strong in some cases, I suppose it counts for something that the staff at Middlesex seem to actually enjoy staging matches at Radlett.

I used to enjoy my visits to Richmond, but my liking of the ground was tainted when a spectator sitting in front of me at our Twenty20 match v Somerset in 2019 was hit in the nose by a six. It doesn’t help that the fact that none of our outgrounds offer elevated seating makes it hard to follow the trajectory of balls. I don’t know whether having elevated seating would have made much difference to whether the spectator suffered his injury. It is one thing if an absence of elevated seating impedes spectators’ views of matches, but it is a different thing entirely if it is causing spectator injuries.

Despite the views I hold about our outgrounds, I will nonetheless attend whatever matches I can get to in 2020.

Gezza, 04 March, 2020 22:05
As I live about 200 miles from all these places Jonathan, my choice is not dependent on the distance from my home, but L do understand that it is likely to influence most others.
Shenfield has proven very popular. though I've never been.I've asked for it to be corrected, apologies for my idiocy.L shall self isolate till tomorrow.
Gezza

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2020 22:48 by Gezza of the middle.

Gezza, 05 March, 2020 14:20
Shenfield is not a mistake at all but an amalgamation of two places that Middlesex have used as outgrounds in the past.
How many of you were with me at Lincoln road when we last played there?

tallliman 05 March, 2020 19:20
Southgate did have raised seating for a few seasons at the church end of the ground.

Gezza, 05 March, 2020 19:53
And so did Uxers in the dim and distant past.I've always petitioned passionately for them as essential, but been told that the cost was prohibitive, A question of priorities Talli, they'd rather invest in grand marquees and £90 lunches for the elite.
That elevation at Southgate came about after me and a few others convinced Vinny that it was needed. On one particularly hot day together with my one-year-old son, we sought some relief under the trees for a little while, when Vinny spotted us
he became most upset, berating me for deserting his little stand and telling me it wouldn't happen again. He was true to his word.
Jonathan makes an excellent point when he says spectators sitting at ground level, sometimes 4 or 5 rows deep around the boundary are in serious danger of being hit by the ball. It's happened quite a number of times at various places especially in one-day games. The clubs won't advertise the fact, but The Health And Safety agencies and The ECB need to address the issue immediately before a tragedy happens,
Do you fancy sitting on the boundary edge at Radlett for the 50 over games with the ball flying in all directions? The counties will tell you you enter at your own risk and abdicate any responsibility. for personal injury. I wonder how'd they handle a million-pound lawsuit should someone receive a fatal blow.
I see Seaxe Man has got his vote in,and so appatently has Mrs SM!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2020 02:04 by Gezza of the middle.

Mark Drukker 06 March, 2020 00:46
I sit in the Rugby stand at Richmond, but the scoreboards are difficult to see from there.

Gezza, 06 March, 2020 11:47
Try sitting in the cricket ground ,much better view Mark

Seaxe_man1 06 March, 2020 12:24
The last raised seating at Uxers was 2008 versus Kent where we defended 147 by 6 runs in T20. Was also present when lifting the Sunday League in 92. Plus 87 when we had 5725 attendees v Notts in Nat West. Plus as mentioned during Hardstaff era paid for by Russell Grant. Postcodes will be bound to affect choice and public transport. Not very good at Shenley. Shuttle bus required.

Seaxe_man1 06 March, 2020 12:37
Two is company. Three's a crowd Gezza. I did Shenfield. Only played once at Field. Cheshire. That long ago probably Gillette Cup. Shen. Can remember Lanky and Zimbabwe. It's otherwise the junction for Southend outa Livarpool Street.

Seaxe_man1 06 March, 2020 12:55
Just looked it up Gezza. Enfield was Nat West 1982. Shenley was 2003 Northants NCL lost. 2003. Windies Tour Match 2004 abandoned. 2002 Sri Lanka Tour drawn. 2003 Zimbabwe Tour drawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2020 13:03 by Seaxe_man1.

Seaxe_man1 06 March, 2020 13:11
Correction. Lanky did not play at Shenners.

Gezza, 06 March, 2020 16:37
Love it when you get it wrong SM, Lanky at The Compton Oval Sep15.2002 Norwich Union Div 2, lost by 6wkts., You forgot The Kennington Corona, back in'39 and once since, or was that deliberate surely made it to The Crouch End Tivoli in '59, although it was midweek I suppose; and I don't believe you weren't down by The Woodside for The Celanese?
EW ''Jim'' Swansong, sometime Middlesex cricketer, revered author, .broadcaster journalist and well-known liar always claimed he saw WG Grace play at Eltham Park when his mother pushed him round there in his pram at 6 months old. Surely even you at your great age cannot make a similar claim for Chiswick Park in 1887.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2020 17:04 by Gezza of the middle.

Seaxe_man1 06 March, 2020 17:40
Didn't think you were going that far back. Hornsey 1959 v Hants drawn. Attendance 100 approx. The recent Hacienda was Somerset which we won. Plus the Mexicans gave us 10 per cent of booze. T20 at Hacienda v Lanky in 2008. I seem to recall a well known Abu of the day berating me at Beckenham Station saying an army would come outa the Citeh. He underlined that with free use of the naff word. In fact the crowd top wack was about 8000 mostly Mx mex freebies. You are also forgetting Islington where we beat Mexs. Oh and West Brompton. Aussies were 1877 at Chiswick Park.

Gezza, 07 March, 2020 01:18
That would be silly SM, I'm sure you've crossed The Lillie Bridge a thousand times but The Cattle Market I think one bridge too far.
What say we drop the final curtain on our little story. Should anyone out there still be reading the fading reminiscences of two old boys, clinging on to tales of golden summers long ago before Old Father Time transports them to another place, they'll no doubt be glad to bid us a fond farewell.
Always MTWD, what say we give a heads up to Captain Morgan and The London Spirit?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2020 02:15 by Gezza of the middle.

Seaxe_man1 07 March, 2020 12:25
Just a bit of news good I must say for those planning to attend the championship match at
MTS. There will be raised seating and a members marquee for the five day duration including the T20.

Gezza, 07 March, 2020 14:04
Excellent news, much needed and appreciated. What exactly inspired these improvements?
Could it possibly be that Steve, Jeff and the rest of ''The Middlesex Members Group'' have got across to The Board the views of the minority of us who actually turn up at these places to watch the cricket ? Perhaps you, had a quiet word with Shahid Khan a big cricket fan I hear and he chucked a few bob our way, Why by the way are you not one of The MMG, SM, no one better qualified I'd have thought!
Just incidentally watched cameraman struck full on the head by a ball at ODI in Potchefstroom.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2020 14:47 by Gezza of the middle.

Seaxe_man1 07 March, 2020 18:26
Not invited to MMG The members requested this as otherwise no facilities .

Gezza, 07 March, 2020 18:44
Hopefully, facilities available to all, not just members.

Gezza, 07 March, 2020 22:21
Get your votes in folks if you haven't already done so. The more we get the more accurate the demographic,

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net