Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Coronavirus
Discussion started by Guzzles , 05 March, 2020 12:34
Coronavirus
Guzzles 05 March, 2020 12:34
Does anyone think that is going to affect the start of the cricket season?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/03/2020 17:11 by London Leprechaun.

Re: Coronavirus
Somerset championship winners none 05 March, 2020 13:50
Yes, but that should be the least of your worries!

Guzzles 05 March, 2020 14:38
not sure what you mean? But good to see you back after a long exile Old Boy!

Somerset championship winners none 05 March, 2020 14:46
Thankyou Guzzler, nice to be here.

freddie tittlemouse 05 March, 2020 15:32
If "large gatherings of people" are banned, it certainly won't impact 4 day county cricket!

Somerset championship winners none 05 March, 2020 15:51
We will be required to sit six feet apart from each other though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2020 16:48 by Gezza of the middle.

Jonathan Winsky 05 March, 2020 19:19
When Covid-19 first became newsworthy in December 2019 (two months before the World Health Organization felt the need to give the disease a name) after it began infecting people in China, I was hopeful that it would not spread outside China and would be contained within a matter of days or weeks. Therefore, I am really disappointed that the opposite has happened. I am not sure how realistic my hopes were, but I don’t think that it would have been impossible for China to have done more in the early days to have halted the spread, perhaps by believing the whistleblowers, restricting travel or maybe even stopping the disease in the first place with better hygiene.

I believe that the UK government and health authorities would be reluctant to follow Italy’s lead in saying that sporting events cannot currently take place unless no spectators are admitted. However, the government and health authorities don’t seem particularly confident that the UK will get through this outbreak unscathed, so if the situation gets bad, maybe drastic measures will have to be taken.

Considering the County Championship and The Hundred can hardly be considered mass-gatherings, it would be harsh if spectators are not admitted to matches. If they are not admitted, then I am not sure whether the justification for that would be in order to prevent infection to spectators or infection to players. However, the T20 Blast and international matches could certainly be considered mass-gatherings. Surely, people who have already bought membership or match tickets but are told that matches have to take place in front of empty grounds or not at all should be entitled to a partial or full refund. I am not sure how refunding members would work, but people who have bought match tickets should receive refunds in the same way as they would for matches which are rained-off. If Covid-19 causes lots of days to be either played in empty grounds or not at all, then members should really be entitled to a refund.

Somerset championship winners none 05 March, 2020 19:57
Spectator sport without spectators needs to go on The Oxymorons thread Jonathan.

Bring back the Crusaders 05 March, 2020 20:47
It appears the Italy v England rugby has been cancelled & the game to be rescheduled at a later date - quite how that will fit in with the domestic season will be interesting. I have a couple of mates travelling to Rome and will still go as they have paid for the flights & hotel (which will not be refunded) - as they put it 'More time in the pub'
I have booked Munich for Chelsea's last game in Europe (for a few seasons) and if the game is called off I will still go as I have paid for the flights & hotel.
Calling off matches as the authorities seem unaware will not stop people travelling.

Jonathan Winsky 06 March, 2020 21:59
There is a possibility that people aged over 70 will be banned from being at sporting events in Britain, with that seemingly including being a spectator, coach or staff member. In that case, County Championship attendances will be even lower than usual! Are people attending sporting events going to have to bring along proof that they are under 70?

It is sad that the British way of viewing and participating in sport appears to be under a level of threat that can only really have been matched by the two world wars. Long spells of poor weather have also disrupted the sporting calendar in previous years, but at least poor weather tends to have an end date in sight, unlike coronavirus.

Something else proposed is that more Premier League football matches may be made available for live broadcast. I was hopeful that this would happen in the scenario of matches having to be played behind closed doors, as it would be harsh if people who intended to attend a match not initially selected by Sky or BT were unable to even watch the match live on TV. Also, making such matches available for broadcast would mean that these supporters would have no reason to seek unlawful online streams of matches. The prevention of televising matches at 3:00pm on a Saturday would cease to serve a purpose if no-one can attend matches, so maybe it would be temporarily removed.

freddie tittlemouse 06 March, 2020 22:07
Banning over 70s from 4 day county cricket really would reduce attendances to the proverbial 2 men and a dog.

BeefyRoberts 06 March, 2020 23:15
Fabulous bit of even more scaremongering from the media.
So,if anyone is going to be 'banned' from attending events,they will probably go to the pub to watch.
It could be called discrimination as well.

Quicker this years flu bug clears up the better!

stockmos 07 March, 2020 13:27
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky

Surely, people who have already bought membership or match tickets but are told that matches have to take place in front of empty grounds or not at all should be entitled to a partial or full refund. I am not sure how refunding members would work, but people who have bought match tickets should receive refunds in the same way as they would for matches which are rained-off. If Covid-19 causes lots of days to be either played in empty grounds or not at all, then members should really be entitled to a refund.

A few hundred quid not refunded to people who already considered it spent would pale in comparison with financial issues for the county clubs and people who rely on them for income. Without income, and being demanded to pay out money, clubs could face financial ruin.

Many people will have catering / stewarding / cleaning jobs at matches most likely with no fixed employment terms. Many may rely on these to make ends meet. Not to mention catering companies and their employees reliant on matchday income. For these people the effects would be terrible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2020 14:14 by stockmos.

Seaxe_man1 09 March, 2020 17:09
The news from today's meet seemed to suggest that the more extreme media rumours are at the present not on the agenda. Can fully understand postponing Italy matches. Makes sense. A large number of footie fans are the wrong side of 70 as well.

Somerset championship winners none 10 March, 2020 05:01
Middlesex's pre-season visit to Oman goes ahead, but Worcestershire, Somerset and Essex's. upcoming trips to Abu Dhabi remain in doubt.
Derbyshire and Durham's practice in Zimbabwe is still happening, and so is Yorkshire's visit to South Africa.,but Lancashire have called off their trip there and the one to Dubai
Check out the other counties to see if their arrangements still in place.
Champion County and MCC match scheduled for Galle at end of the month is also under threat.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2020 08:02 by Gezza of the middle.

dingy bags 10 March, 2020 14:35
I think Northants are in Singapore.

Somerset championship winners none 10 March, 2020 15:48
Hampshire and Warwickshire off to Spain where they'll play each other in La Manga.

Somerset championship winners none 10 March, 2020 18:12
Two upcoming tournaments which have been postponed for the time being are----

The Everest Premier League in Kathmandu.
and more importantly
The ICC Men's World Challenge League Group A in Namibia.

freddie tittlemouse 11 March, 2020 13:01
I assume the former is sponsored by the double glazing firm.

Somerset championship winners none 11 March, 2020 14:37
Not as far as I can make our Freddie.Nepal's premier sporting event by all accounts, now in its 4th year.
Many top names due to feature, check out The Website.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net