Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Coronavirus
Primrose Hillbilly 24 March, 2020 13:35
Could we not play the CC anyway?

Players could change separately. As cricket is a non contact sport, the only time two opposing players get regularly anywhere near each other is when a wicket keeper stands up to a spinner, and spinners are few and far between in early season games. Modify rules to outlaw standing up?

Slight risk when bowler's follow through takes him possibly near a batsman running to the non-striker's end, but batter could run wide of the crease. Similar risk when bowler passes umpire on way to the crease, but you could give the umpire a mask.

Nasty habit of players gobbing on the pitch could be outlawed

As for spectators, well, how many would there be, and could they not spread out even more? Kev and I could just self isolate more than usual in anticipation of requests from others to move downwind.

Average age of Seaxe club member might place entire membership in jeopardy, however, were they to attend.

London Leprechaun 25 March, 2020 09:49
Nice idea, Primrose but not feasible while travelling is being discouraged. I don't think playing cricket counts as essential work! It's going to be a long while before restrictions are going to be eased. I am not optimistic of any cricket worth watching this year.

Jonathan Winsky 25 March, 2020 19:10
I would have thought that the effects of coronavirus would not only have to clear up in Britain for it to be deemed safe to play sport, but that the effects would also have to clear up in virtually all surrounding countries. Sadly, neither of those things are happening at the moment.

If, as anticipated, priority at domestic level is given to playing limited-overs matches in 2020 in the event of some cricket being possible, and there is only time to play a handful of first-class matches, then there wouldn't be much point in having titles, promotion and relegation at stake in these first-class matches due to the consequential brevity of the tournament. Therefore, I fear that Middlesex will have to wait until 2022 at the very earliest to play division one cricket again.

BeefyRoberts 26 March, 2020 08:12
Just a little comment from me about this awful time..
1st...Thanks to all NHS and associated services with them, doing a grand job.
2nd...Hope we are all doing ok at this time, stay safe and well.
3rd..I honestly cant see a county season this year, just a small white ball tournament that might have a trophy at the end. Any white ball ( apart from franchise ) would get me going along.

Please, everyone, stay safe and healthy, and, look out for family, neighbours and friends as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/03/2020 08:14 by BeefyRoberts.

Fozzie 26 March, 2020 19:38
Sadly, George Dobell tested positive for COVID-19 and is currently in isolation. From his Twitter account it sounds as if he had it pretty rough, but happily he seems to be recovering.

Jonathan Winsky 26 March, 2020 20:33
Speaking to the Guardian, ECB director of events Steve Elworthy says that very detailed plans have been made for how to stage international matches behind closed doors. These plans include testing staff and officials for coronavirus when they enter the ground, isolating anyone who (presumably either upon entering the ground or during a day’s play) tests positive, and trying to keep ‘players, staff and officials’ in a sterile bubble for the duration of matches. The article doesn’t mention if similar plans have been made for county or Hundred matches. Still, reading about these plans makes my heart sink, as there is a large part of me which would prefer it if sport is not allowed to take place as opposed to sport being allowed to take place but only behind closed doors. Disappointingly for me, the chances of English football being played behind closed doors in the next few months seems to be increasing.

Middlesex president Mike Selvey has written a letter to supporters in this difficult time.

It was amazing that many people around Britain, including on my street, applauded the NHS at 8:00pm tonight. I myself work in the finance department at St George’s Hospital in Tooting, and continue travelling to and from there each day, as it is not possible for me to perform the work I do at home, and also because my team have been told that the need to ensure that suppliers and staff all continue to get paid means that the only staff at the hospital whose duties are more important than that of my team are those who treat coronavirus and the many other complaints. Personally, I feel that praising my team like this is doing a bit of a disservice to other important staff, such as the porters, the staff who order medical equipment and PPE, and the staff who keep the site clean.

Fozzie 27 March, 2020 06:16
Very modestly put, Jonathan, but ensuring that NHS staff and suppliers get paid is an essential task. One can imagine the blow to staff morale if the payroll system crashed.

I do hope your journeys to and from work are not too stressful.

freddie tittlemouse 27 March, 2020 16:03
And Jonathan, if on your journey to or from work you come across a stray pangolin feel free to deliver it a good kicking.

Primrose Hillbilly 27 March, 2020 18:12
A'hem, ...'hem.... ' HEMMMM!!!

As a ZSL member, may I just assert that ain't nothing wrong with Pangolins, (otherwise known as Scaly Anteaters) if left in their natural state. Ditto bats and other creatures.

A bat flies and hangs in trees and caves above ground, and is very rarely to be found at ground level or below, which is the habitat of our scaly chum.

If they are kept in close proximity to each other in markets, to be sold as food, that is not "in their natural state" and such an environment facilitates the spread of diseases or viruses endemic to one species to others.

The only previous instance of bats infecting humans has been where vampire bats, which can be asymptomatic carriers of rabies, pass it on to a human whom they lovingly nibble.

NB, as the most intelligent of the animals, we manage to spread countless diseases among ourselves through association, and have gone so far as to perfect an automated mechanical system to help us do this, called air conditioning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/03/2020 18:15 by Primrose Hillbilly.

Bring back the Crusaders 29 March, 2020 12:32
Good to see normal service in China has been resumed
[www.dailymail.co.uk]
3 Years ago it was SARS - they will not be happy until they wipe us all out!

Scotnham 29 March, 2020 13:45
Excellent comments PH. The human race is responsible for Covid-19, not the animal kingdom. Stay safe chaps.

Primrose Hillbilly 29 March, 2020 20:08
I saw today, Crusaders, that the Mail had posted :

"Tracking by this newspaper suggested the virus sweeping Whitehall may have originated with the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier;"

..........wrong on two counts. (1) The virus - factually - originated in a Chinese Province, but that doesn't stop the editorial staff of the paper (2) trying to insinuate - "may have" - something that they know to be chemically, biologically and forensically unverifiable.

"Yeah, but it lets us stir up a bit more hate against the EU, so, let's slyly do it."

What a nasty, vicious little rag the Mail can be at times, which really negates the good campaigning journalism that it does.

Bring back the Crusaders 29 March, 2020 21:03
Hi PH
Are we saying the photos of caged animals awaiting slaughter and the video of the woman chewing on a bat fake? Its pretty poor journalism if it is.

adelaide 29 March, 2020 23:42
Quote:
Bring back the Crusaders
Hi PH
Are we saying the photos of caged animals awaiting slaughter and the video of the woman chewing on a bat fake? Its pretty poor journalism if it is.

For the bat chewing, not fake photos but taken elsewhere (Palau? Indonesia?) or in the right place at the wrong time (last summer) according to fact-checking sites.

For what it's worth, bat would presumably not pose any health threat if cooked long enough to destroy germs of any sort.

Posting genuine pictures in a fake context is commonplace on social media, I'm afraid, as is the amount of cobblers posted with absolute certainty. The photos of live animals in cages may genuinely be in Wuhan markets and they may be awaiting slaughter but how do we actually know that for certain, on either count?

Adelaide

Bring back the Crusaders 30 March, 2020 01:39
Adelaide
Wherever the photos were taken its pretty sad to think any government allows this evil behaviour towards animals.

adelaide 30 March, 2020 12:18
True but in this country we can be pretty evil to animals too and in the past (sometimes not too distant past) a lot more evil. In some European countries you can choose the lobster you want boiled to death. Standards change over time, thank goodness, but sometimes we seem to expect everyone else's standards to change at exactly the same time as ours did. This is also true of social attitudes on race, the status of women, sexual orientation....

Adelaide

Scotnham 30 March, 2020 12:36
Whether or not these photos are genuine is a side show. As Adelaide has just posted, this barbarism goes on all over the world and not just in China. To partially quote Private Fraser, we're all doomed unless we learn to treat other living beings and our planet with respect.

Primrose Hillbilly 30 March, 2020 13:00
@ Crusaders : No, I am not saying that the photos of caged animals awaiting slaughter are fake.

I quoted directly from a Mail article, as a very sad example of the unnecessarily nasty, petty, niggly, emotion stirring, journalistic poison that the Mail can and does drip.

It appears that the departure of Paul Dacre as editor has not really changed things that much.

There is no way on this earth that the Mail could prove whether or not the virus got into Whitehall via anyone, let alone Barnier, and they know it, but that didn't stop them printing a nasty, sly allegation.

adelaide 30 March, 2020 13:29
"Pretty good journalism from the Daily Mail" would belong in the Oxymorons thread. It is however potentially useful if the loo roll runs out.

Adelaide

Quote:
Primrose Hillbilly
@ Crusaders : No, I am not saying that the photos of caged animals awaiting slaughter are fake.
I quoted directly from a Mail article, as a very sad example of the unnecessarily nasty, petty, niggly, emotion stirring, journalistic poison that the Mail can and does drip.

It appears that the departure of Paul Dacre as editor has not really changed things that much.

There is no way on this earth that the Mail could prove whether or not the virus got into Whitehall via anyone, let alone Barnier, and they know it, but that didn't stop them printing a nasty, sly allegation.

Bring back the Crusaders 30 March, 2020 17:03
Point taken that this sort of barbarism takes place all over the world and any form of animal cruelty is wrong but why is it always China that manages to export these virus's all over the world?

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net