Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Anything goes
BarmierKev 29 March, 2020 21:13
Reached that point when me and Mrs Barmy resorted to Monopoly the modern version we bought in case of a crisis. On my first lap of board I was fined for tax evasion , ended up in jail and worse still landed at the Oval.

If MTWD run out of material I will do a match report ball by ball commentary on how I was loaded, then bled dry and ended up homeless. The first Coronavirus divorce.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

adelaide 30 March, 2020 12:10
Quote:
BarmierKev
Reached that point when me and Mrs Barmy resorted to Monopoly the modern version we bought in case of a crisis. On my first lap of board I was fined for tax evasion , ended up in jail and worse still landed at the Oval.
If MTWD run out of material I will do a match report ball by ball commentary on how I was loaded, then bled dry and ended up homeless. The first Coronavirus divorce.

My sister used to call it Monotony. The game which really did seem to go on for ever was Risk.

I was wondering whether to propose a televised hundred-roll OWZHAT! tournament to the media. Perfect - the only dot balls are wicket takers. Might be an issue with DRS (Dice Rolled under Sofa) holding up play. Unfortunately I rather doubt that my OWZHAT! set from fifty years ago or more has survived.

Adelaide

rod/ed 11 April, 2020 11:13
Yesterday my phone screen went progressively purple and I can now see nothing. To set up WhatsApp on your pc you first need to to log on to your phone....which I can't.
New phone has been ordered but with holiday w/e and C19 who knows when it will arrive.
Therefore those of you that send/receive WhatsApp to me please don't expect replies for some days.
Stay safe

BeefyRoberts 20 April, 2020 11:37
I'm lucky to still be working, but, even on rest days, or leave, as I am at moment (should be in cardiff) i seem to be waking up early, going to bed later!
Still, gives me time to clear out junk...Bills from 2007, old car insurance policies, why did I keep all of that? Empty, used envelopes! All nicely stacked in a cupboard as well.
Shredder is now on cooling down!
Still, I can ho and sit in my garden at dusk and watch the wildlife...have 3 hedgehogs that have moved into bottom of garden, one looks like possible expectant mother.

Sussex Seaxe 20 April, 2020 15:38
You are right about the wildlife, Beefy. We'd all rather be watching cricket and how ironic that the April weather is so good, but sitting in the garden watching the leaves in bud and listening to the birds sing while hardly any traffic goes up the road behind our house is a real pleasure. Living not too far from Gatwick, it's also notable that about once a week, Mrs Seaxe points and exclaims 'Look, a plane'!

Keep well all.

BeefyRoberts 20 April, 2020 16:04
About 5 miles from Heathrow, and probably same to Northolt, so bit of an airport sandwich! Bizarre that no vapour trails are around, and likewise SS, getting the rare sighting of one of those plane things.
Planes....just had confirmation of flight to Vegas May 10th has been cancelled. Time to battle for a full refund...watch this space folks!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 20/04/2020 17:34 by BeefyRoberts.

adelaide 20 April, 2020 16:08
I find myself wondering whether some of the wildlife is reacting to the changed levels of human activity. Cats and dogs have probably twigged that something is up through a combination of people hardly ever going out and our general demeanour.

I suppose bats and pangolins might be giving us a wide berth to avoid catching the virus...

Funny name, pangolin. Sounds like a musical instrument.

Adelaide

Sussex Seaxe 21 April, 2020 11:00
Quite so, Adelaide. Our dog is finding it very stressful that we're not leaving him alone in the house for hours on end so that he can sleep on the settee!

As for pangolins, I believe they are best played with the teeth.

freddie tittlemouse 21 April, 2020 15:18
Who's old enough to remember the Perry Como hit "pangolins in the moonlight"? Presumably they are nocturnal.
Vapour trails are one thing I do not miss. The sky is so much clearer.

adelaide 21 April, 2020 16:31
And Rod Stewart had "the pangolin player from Lindisfarne whose name I forget" on his best album IMHO - Every Picture Tells a Story. Said player was Ray Jackson, who apparently now paints buses. Paints pictures of buses, that is, not the buses themselves. One of the best gigs I saw in my university (we didn't call it uni then) days, Lindisfarne just after they made it.

Adelaide

BeefyRoberts 21 April, 2020 17:04
University gigs...although I didnt attend, my local University, Brunel, had some big names before being big (if you get what I mean!).
Genesis played there, along with Sex Pistols (not on same night!) I think some of the other names also appeared.. Boomtown Rats ring a bell.
Blimey, just looked at in 1980, Pink Floyd turned up, and, in 1965 they played at RAF Uxbridge...now no longer there and a huge housing estate...dont start me!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/04/2020 17:07 by BeefyRoberts.

rod/ed 21 April, 2020 17:26
Ultravox came to Heriot-Watt University in 76 or 77 but refused to play because the stage was to small. Strange since their lead was Midge.
Talking of Genesis, a few years later I bribed a back door bouncer £5 to get in. Therefore we were in at stage front.All okay when standing but at quiet numbers everybody had seats apart from us.

adelaide 21 April, 2020 18:06
One of the weirdest was held in a large lecture theatre. The Sutherland Brothers were the main attraction but one of the members of the support act, the Global Village Trucking Company, sprinted along all the continuous desking where we normally had our papers. We were scared to move in case he went flying. I seem to remember that one of them was a not that distant cousin of the Queen.

Not a gig during uni time but I did have tickets for Steely Dan at the Rainbow but got German measles a few days before. Never mind, they'll be back - thirty years later I did see them but it was not the same. I did get to see Little Feat though, my other favourite band at the time. Then punk blew so much away...

Adelaide

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/04/2020 21:07 by adelaide.

rod/ed 21 April, 2020 19:17
Rikki don't lose that ticket !

Marlowboy 21 April, 2020 21:31
I recall Hawkwind playing at Brunel University in around 1976 or 77. Ears buzzed for a few following days.

Fozzie 21 April, 2020 21:34
Quote:
adelaide
And Rod Stewart had "the pangolin player from Lindisfarne whose name I forget" on his best album IMHO - Every Picture Tells a Story. Said player was Ray Jackson, who apparently now paints buses. Paints pictures of buses, that is, not the buses themselves. One of the best gigs I saw in my university (we didn't call it uni then) days, Lindisfarne just after they made it.
Adelaide

One of my proudest moments from university days was being commended for my idiot dancing by Lindisfarne's bass guitarist.

adelaide 22 April, 2020 01:00
I gave up gigs for some years after having my ears ringing for several days after seeing Television. I don't think they were excessively loud, just very very trebly. They played one excellent number that I did not recognise and did not hear again until I bought the CD of Marquee Moon - and it was one of the bonus tracks. Little Jimmy Jewel, it was.

Adelaide

Sussex Seaxe 22 April, 2020 11:21
Quote:
adelaide
I gave up gigs for some years after having my ears ringing for several days after seeing Television. I don't think they were excessively loud, just very very trebly. They played one excellent number that I did not recognise and did not hear again until I bought the CD of Marquee Moon - and it was one of the bonus tracks. Little Jimmy Jewel, it was.

Adelaide

Well somebody has to bite: I see Television most days and if my ears start ringing, I just turn it down a bit. I'll get my coat....

BeefyRoberts 22 April, 2020 13:06
My first gig, years ago was Rainbow at a venue in Finsbury Park (Richie Blackmore, not Bungle and Zippy) my ears were shot after!
Progressed from them to Elton John,Genesis 3 times,The queen of music..Miss Tina Turner 5 times, Dire Straits,Alison Moyet and Phil Collins 3 times.
Retired after the last Phil Collins.
Sadly I missed Middle does Strictly when Seaxe Man gave his Green Door rendition in Southport a few years ago.

Haringey Racer 22 April, 2020 15:55
Slade at Southampton University in 1980 were great fun. A load of students reliving their early teens.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net