Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Anything goes
adelaide 22 April, 2020 16:01
Mustn't forget the Tornadoes, who got together specially for the centenary of Grovelands Park a few years ago. I think one of them lived in Winchmore Hill. Yes, of course they played Telstar.

Two miracles that weekend. First, the forecast was for rain and it was sunshine both days. Secondly, that nothing went wrong despite too many helpers finding they couldn't (or didn't fancy) actually turning out on the day. People who expected to be on the gate ended up unexpectedly in "middle management"! It's a thought, though, that if the centenary had been this year an awful lot of effort already expended would have gone to waste.

The park has a link to Middlesex cricket as the council bought it from a Mr Taylor of the Taylor Walker empire, and of course the Walkers were right at the centre of everything (including the Walker Ground). The actual house is owned by the Priory Group and notoriously housed General Pinochet for some time when he was arrested.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 23 April, 2020 10:38
Georgie Fame and the Blue Flames otherwise known as Clive Powell at Wembley Town Hall and The Who London 1965 under the ABC Bakery at Ealing Broadway for me. Both invigorating.

adelaide 23 April, 2020 12:11
Hot Tuna at the Roundhouse. They stop after the intro to a number because a guitar has gone out of tune. "Why do you think they're called Hot Tuna" my mate says.

Oddest experience was Ponder End's finest, Chas and Dave banging out their tunes in the foyer of the North Middlesex Hospital just before Christmas one year. A reminder that life should go on (my father had died in the hospital a few hours earlier - he did make it to 94 though).

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 23 April, 2020 13:26
In my youth Adelaide a bus, could have been a 207 used to run between Edgware and Ponders End. I have a feeling it still does. Can you confirm?

Haringey Racer 23 April, 2020 15:46
Quote:
Seaxe_man1
In my youth Adelaide a bus, could have been a 207 used to run between Edgware and Ponders End. I have a feeling it still does. Can you confirm?

In my youth (not quite as far back as yours) that would have been the 107. Now split into two overlapping routes the 107 from Edgware to New Barnet and the 307 from Barnet hospital to Brimsdown

adelaide 23 April, 2020 18:21
Getting really nerd-like now but it used to run beyond Edgware to Queensbury. That bit has been taken over by a third route. The 107 has a really nice section south of Elstree and also serves the highest point in Greater London, Arkley.

Adelaide (move along there)

freddie tittlemouse 23 April, 2020 22:43
Stanmore Hill is higher than Arkley. And so are 3 locations sarf of the river.

adelaide 24 April, 2020 00:51
Well there you go. Something I was sure I had read turns out to be as accurate as a Trump statement.

I don't think Arkley Ridge was ever in Middlesex, though Stanmore Hill was.

I seem to remember doing the descent from the real highest point, Westerham Heights into Westerham many years ago - quite spectacular. I presume it is in because it was in the Kent borough of Bromley but it is pretty rural up there.

My first job was in the (thankfully now demolished) Marsham Towers and on a sunny day I could see the sun glinting off car windscreens on the North Downs. In my lunhc hour, you understand. As long as you were on the outside of the development you had one of the best views in London, largely because you could not see Marsham Towers.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 24 April, 2020 08:51
Parallel to Stanmore Hill a bit further along London Road Stanmore connecting to Edgware Road is Brockley Hill. Also in Middlesex and on the way to Radlett from the West. Can remember bombing down both on a bike and reaching supersonic speeds. Stanmore steep all the way into the village, Brockley flattens out so safer. Royal National Orthopedic Hospital at the crest as you descend to the Hertfordshire border afore heading uphill to Elstree. Thanks HR. Afterwards I remembered it was the 107 bus. There was another single decker 251 which used to head in your direction from Burnt Oak to Arnos Grove. More direct than Piccadilly Line for sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/04/2020 21:06 by Seaxe_man1.

adelaide 24 April, 2020 11:19
251 still runs. Quick because it's direct and only the domestics employed (by the Adams family? I don't mean Tony) in the big houses along Totteridge Lane get on or off on that section. Nice views but would be better on a double decker.

Notoriously, one 251 managed once to lose control at the top of Highwood Hill and demolished half the Rising Sun.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 24 April, 2020 16:53
251. Used to terminate on a hilly sloping road connecting Watling Avenue to the Edgware Road. Used to bomb down that on flat trucks running on ball bearings. Wood came from Watson's Wood Stores. Had to watch for 251 coming up the road. Happy Days. Silver threepenny pieces used to be quite prevalent back then. Even got a groat once. Worth fourpence I was told.

New Boy 2 24 April, 2020 19:34
Quote:
rod/ed
Ultravox came to Heriot-Watt University in 76 or 77 but refused to play because the stage was to small. Strange since their lead was Midge.

I don't wish to appear pedantic - oh, go on then - but as they are one of my all-time favourite bands I feel compelled to point out that Midge didn't become their lead until 1979. Back in them there days of 76/77 it was John Foxx.

But I did chortle at the joke so it was worth any amount of journalistic licence...

BarmierKev 24 April, 2020 19:54
Rod Ed . Were Mary and Mungo there?

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Fozzie 24 April, 2020 22:14
Quote:
adelaide

My first job was in the (thankfully now demolished) Marsham Towers and on a sunny day I could see the sun glinting off car windscreens on the North Downs. In my lunhc hour, you understand. As long as you were on the outside of the development you had one of the best views in London, largely because you could not see Marsham Towers.

Adelaide

I too used to work in Marsham Towers. God, what an eyesore, but a great view from the 19th floor where I worked. When the wind blew you could feel the building quake. Apparently demolition was held up because the ground underneath was awash with dangerous chemicals - rather ironic, given that it used to house the Department of the Environment.

rod/ed 24 April, 2020 23:02
Quote:
New Boy 2
Quote:
rod/ed
Ultravox came to Heriot-Watt University in 76 or 77 but refused to play because the stage was to small. Strange since their lead was Midge.

I don't wish to appear pedantic - oh, go on then - but as they are one of my all-time favourite bands I feel compelled to point out that Midge didn't become their lead until 1979. Back in them there days of 76/77 it was John Foxx.

But I did chortle at the joke so it was worth any amount of journalistic licence...

Thanks for correction but since they didn't perform I was ignorant of their line up. Did Midge Ure start off with Slik? I surprised myself with getting Slik as a correct answer in Popmaster earlier this week

rod/ed 24 April, 2020 23:04
Quote:
BarmierKev
Rod Ed . Were Mary and Mungo there?

Definitely missing the witty repartee of following the Middle siiting with the MTWD crew!

adelaide 25 April, 2020 00:40
19th Floor, Fozzie? That was the ministerial floor, wasn't it? I can remember walking up to the 11th during some strike/crisis or other. The 19th would have been a bit too much, I think!

My understanding was that the whole edifice was built on top of reinforced concrete bunkers from wartime (or the Cold War?) and that posed an obstacle, whether or not dodgy chemicals were there. I would have thought that a building of that vintage would also have had rather too much asbestos for comfort within it.

The environment did not really have green connotations in those days, so the building was less of an oxymoron. Though in its later years, the ends of the building were covered in green netting to stop slabs falling off after some did!

Adelaide

adelaide 28 April, 2020 11:57
"We are delighted to bring you the latest edition of your Pensions Newsletter...". They should get out more.

Then I remembered - they can't.

Adelaide

BeefyRoberts 09 May, 2020 12:34
Shower decides to have a turn..Thermostat gone, took 3 weeks to find someone who could come and fit new one.
Fitted, turned on...Leak.
A crack in the outlet pipe. Cant make all this up!
Ordered new part, and fitter has put Gorilla gunk on cracked part as temporary measure, gunk now drying on window ledge waiting for his return at 6pm tonight to fit it...🤞🤞🤞

London Leprechaun 31 July, 2020 13:23
We are bumping this thread to remind you all that this is the place to discuss politics and other non cricket topics. But please remember, disagree politely and stay kind to each other.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net