Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Remember 2016
Discussion started by London Leprechaun , 25 March, 2020 09:47
Remember 2016
London Leprechaun 25 March, 2020 09:47
Hallo everyone. Seeing that Sky are replaying the Championship decider from last year, reminded me that I have the entire Middlesex v Yorkshire match from 2016 on my DVD player. I'm going to watch it all again! But if anyone would like me to put the match (or just one day) on DVD and send to you to enjoy again, please send me a private message. No charge, but maybe donate to charity or buy something nice for a neighbour!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2020 14:19 by London Leprechaun.

Re: Remember 2016
JoshieGreen54 25 March, 2020 14:34
Those were the days!

JG54

tallliman 25 March, 2020 18:35
That whole season just felt special, players kept popping up at the right time to make a difference to a result. Eski coming in with 2 tons, the Toby and Tim show at Scarborough and some really gritty performances such as at Trent Bridge where they fought to save themselves from the drop.

Bring back the Crusaders 25 March, 2020 22:57
What went wrong...................................................................................................................................................

Bring back the Crusaders 25 March, 2020 22:57
What went wrong...................................................................................................................................................

Primrose Hillbilly 26 March, 2020 13:43
It was an amazing year.

I watched the last day of the Zummerzett game courtesy of an online scoreboard, then went out for the evening, that turned out better than expected, logged back on just to see the margin of safety by which we had drawn, and then my good evening became amazing.

Simmo's dance of joy on his birthday to hit a six for the winning runs, that was such an indicator of how brilliantly things went for us.

Whatever circumstances we are now in, that team gave me so many happy memories.

tallliman 26 March, 2020 18:50
I'd forgotten that Somerset game....listened to the end of it after work and couldn't believe we'd pulled it off.

adelaide 26 March, 2020 23:11
The moment I @#$%& up my ears was when Mr Hand said that James Fuller was coming out to bat. At first I thought it was a misidentification but our Kevin never does that, does he?

That was the first "unusual" Somerset pitch, a switch to a barely prepared greentop when they realised an hour before the match that Murtagh was playing for Ireland. Odd as that was common knowledge days before. Harry Podmore did his stuff in his place though. Might have given them the idea to make "unusual" pitches at the other end of the spectrum later on.

That was before live feeds. Wouldn't it be great if someone suddenly discovered recordings of that match (and Scarborough) and made them available free online?

Adelaide

AWembleyLad 27 March, 2020 09:46
Thanks London Leprechaun - I might PM you. Literally one of the happiest days of my life. I work nearby so went all four days for varying lengths. Sadly, one of the unhappiest days of my life was when it disappeared off my Sky Hard Drive. Surprised the club never commissioned an edit but assume it's something to do with sports rights, etc. Also notice neither Surrey or Essex produced one in recent times.

And I am sure you are all familiar with this site but three years ago today we were playing against MCC in Abu Dhabi: [cowcorner.org] [under County Championship, 2017] - I should know. I was listening to the commentary in Lewisham Hospital when my wife went into labour! Action is a bit pedestrian but good to listen to Gus, Finny, etc. reminisce about the previous season.

Finally, you can listen to full commentary of our final day against Yorkies on the same site [under Requested Matches] - one way to stave off the long wait ....

Jonathan Winsky 12 April, 2020 20:25
Quote:
Bring back the Crusaders

My simple answer to that question was that in 2016, Middlesex won every match when there was a hint of victory (indeed, I would say that at least half of our six wins came in matches when, at one point, victory seemed improbable or impossible), and we ensured that we drew every match when we were outplayed or when conditions meant that the match barely advanced. Conversely, the opposite seemed to happen in the three subsequent seasons, when we often failed to convert good performances into wins instead of draws, and often failed to convert bad performances into draws instead of defeats.

An article in Wisden Cricket Monthly with the views of Ollie Rayner, James Franklin, Kevin Hand and Stuart Law gives a more detailed answer to the question.

VincentVanDerVictory 12 April, 2020 22:56
Hi first time poster on this forum.

I think The General James Franklin was a crucial part of the 2016 Championship success ,firstly crucially getting nearly all the important decisions correct as Captain and secondly playing significant contributions with both bat and ball throughout the season as the allrounder ..such as the Durham away game.

VincentVanDerVictory 12 April, 2020 23:13
Hi.London Leprechaun

I would like to take up your kind offer to have a DVD of the final championship game vs Yorkshire .

Either a highlights version of the match
or the complete final day of the match.

Much appreciated. Could you private message me please or I can give you my email address.

VincentVanDerVictory 13 April, 2020 16:04
UPDATED

Hi London Leprechaun
Re DVD
Thank you for sending me a MTWD private message yesterday and I have now been able to read it but I am still having difficulty to reply to it or send you a private message as these functions appear not to operate on my MTWD account.
I have requested.assistance from the MTWD admin team with these private message difficulties( by email to the MTWD admin team's email)

Thank you for your patience London Leprechaun.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 14/04/2020 23:06 by VincentVanDerVictory.

London Leprechaun 14 April, 2020 20:41
Hi. please send me a private message with your name and address. I will then add you to the queue

I suggest you delete your last message; your private email is a bit vulnerable on a public forum!

Thanks.

VincentVanDerVictory 17 April, 2020 13:43
Thank you so very much London Leprechaun for contacting me today via MTWD admin team ( email)....much appreciated!!

I have replied to you today via the.MTWD admin team by email with my postal address .

Many thanks!!
Kind regards,
VincentVanDerVictory

BeefyRoberts 18 April, 2020 16:15
Still have day 4 kept on my Sky box.
I'm sure a day can be found to watch it, although I doubt I will re-enact the Tavern evening in my front room!
This time, 4 years ago, did we really think it would of been the season in the CC we had?

snicko 19 April, 2020 04:50
After finishing 2015 as runner up to Yorkshire there was every reason to be optimistic to further challenge in 2016.

It’s strange how a trophy colours people’s perceptions of players, e.g. James Franklin. Immortalised by a few as a Championship winning captain, yet his First Class stats at Middlesex reveal that he averaged 28 with the bat and 44 with the ball !

VincentVanDerVictory 20 April, 2020 05:58
Snicko..yes the General James Franklin's Middlesex career stats.are far from dazzling , but he undeniably played an important part in that 2016 season as Captain with also important contributions with both bat and ball.

If Franklin has not been at Middlesex that season and Malan had been captain instead of Franklin in 2016 I am sure we would NOT have won the Championship.

Jonathan Winsky 20 April, 2020 19:33
While James Franklin was at Middlesex, I wasn’t particularly keen on him, as he wasn’t consistent with the bat, he didn’t bowl as many overs as I felt an all-rounder ought to, and I can’t stop myself from feeling that Franklin’s presence caused Ryan Higgins to feel that the position of County Championship all-rounder at Middlesex would never become vacant, despite Franklin being bound to retire at some point.

However, Franklin occasionally played important innings and took important wickets, and it is clear that Ollie Rayner (and maybe some other players) preferred playing under the captaincy of Franklin as opposed to under Dawid Malan.

The article in Wisden Cricket Monthly which I wrote about above features Rayner and Franklin saying that despite us hoping that we would use our second-placed finish in 2015 and title win in 2016 as a springboard to have several more successful seasons, we didn’t really have a plan in place for how we would achieve this. Had we bothered to draw up a plan, I would like to have thought that it would have included saying to Higgins that he would play a big part in the club for the next dozen or so years.

tallliman 21 April, 2020 21:26
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
While James Franklin was at Middlesex, I wasn’t particularly keen on him, as he wasn’t consistent with the bat, he didn’t bowl as many overs as I felt an all-rounder ought to, and I can’t stop myself from feeling that Franklin’s presence caused Ryan Higgins to feel that the position of County Championship all-rounder at Middlesex would never become vacant, despite Franklin being bound to retire at some point.
However, Franklin occasionally played important innings and took important wickets, and it is clear that Ollie Rayner (and maybe some other players) preferred playing under the captaincy of Franklin as opposed to under Dawid Malan.

The article in Wisden Cricket Monthly which I wrote about above features Rayner and Franklin saying that despite us hoping that we would use our second-placed finish in 2015 and title win in 2016 as a springboard to have several more successful seasons, we didn’t really have a plan in place for how we would achieve this. Had we bothered to draw up a plan, I would like to have thought that it would have included saying to Higgins that he would play a big part in the club for the next dozen or so years.

Franklin saved the game at Lord's against Surrey (who had declared rather late in my opinion) with a gritty innings after the top order had gotten out cheaply.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net