Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Ollie Rayner Retires
Discussion started by tallliman , 26 March, 2020 18:47
Ollie Rayner Retires
tallliman 26 March, 2020 18:47
Just read this on cricinfo. He'll be remembered for those 15 wickets at the Oval and 51 in 2016 as well as one of the finest slip catchers I've seen.

Re: Ollie Rayner Retires
Primrose Hillbilly 26 March, 2020 19:07
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Ollie ............... oh, gosh, how sad I am to read about how the last few years went for him. He was a lovely bloke to talk to, probably the best of all the front liners.

Reading between the lines, it looks like Ollie's cards were marked before the Lawman came in, and so, first year, Stuart backed what his captain said, and that was that, Ollie went out on loan, and given that that was his last year of three under contract, the end was nigh.

Ollie did have the reputation for catching the uncatchable, and making it look easy. One such remains in the memory, where he was fielding at the Pavillion end in the cordon. One took the edge high up, and kept going. Ollie took it when he was heading back and up, at full stretch over his right shoulder, one handed, and was fully airborne, about four foot off the ground at time of snaffle.

He put in a great first morning spell against Durham at HQ in 2016, bowling a lot slower than his "keep it tight" role, and was rewarded, as my report showed.

The YouTube link to that Day is here : [www.youtube.com]

An absolutely smashing bloke.

Shall we see if we can organise a night out with him, when this whole virus thing is over?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/03/2020 19:22 by Primrose Hillbilly.

tallliman 26 March, 2020 19:23
No worries! I remember him taking 3 catches against Derbyshire in 2018, one simple and two absolute screamers. Then all the bowlers got injured....

Always annoyed I missed his ton at TB.

Jonathan Winsky 26 March, 2020 19:42
Ollie Rayner’s interview with Wisden can be viewed here.

I always enjoy it when interviewees speak their mind as opposed to tow the party line!

It is interesting that Rayner says that he did not get on as well with Dawid Malan compared to Adam Voges and James Franklin, who of course were Middlesex’s two captains for the 2016 season that both Rayner and the club look back on fondly. The article reminds us that in our 14 County Championship matches in 2018, Rayner bowled in five matches, played but did not bowl in four matches and was left out in the other five matches.

Rayner says that his loan to Kent in 2019 was agreed without him realising it, as the first he found out was when Kent phoned to say that they were looking forward to him playing for them.

Thankfully, Rayner has already returned to employment, as he now works in recruitment for Annapurna.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net