Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Decline and Fall
Discussion started by freddie tittlemouse , 15 May, 2020 12:25
Decline and Fall
freddie tittlemouse 15 May, 2020 12:25
Atherton in the Times today provides a list of 35 candidates for the England test squad.

Not a single Middlesex player.

I find this shocking. Everybody associated with this club should be DEEPLY ashamed. No glossing over it.

Re: Decline and Fall
adelaide 15 May, 2020 15:54
At least as much to the point, Middlesex's finances are hit if nobody (other than Morgan) is on a central contract.

Bit rough on Toby, given where he was before his first injury, but he would need consistent good form to get close again, particularly in Div 2.

Kevin Hand nearly always manages to say that England have got their eye on Tom Helm but his statistics don't really suggest that should be the case. The other young player who might have featured in such a list a couple of years back is Nick Gubbins but, shall we say, Div 2 has not been kind to him.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 26 May, 2020 12:13
Two recently departed players advanced their cause elsewhere in 2019. One in Division one and one who will be when we eventually resume Freddie. Will be interesting when the group is announced.

Jonathan Winsky 28 May, 2020 21:52
Tomorrow is when the announcement is due to take place of what could be a list of around 45 players from across all three formats to train with England ahead of what they hope will be upcoming international matches.

Speaking to Sky Sports, Michael Atherton says that “there may be one or two surprises”, so that gives hope to anyone disappointed by his earlier assertion that Middlesex would not see any players included with Test cricket in mind, although I have not got my hopes up. At least Eoin Morgan is likely to be included thanks to his role as England limited-overs captain.

There is certainly no shortage at Middlesex of players with ambition to break into or return to the England side, although we have a lot of players for whom either the time may have passed or they need a season or two of consistent performances to get themselves into the England reckoning, which counts against the chances of Middlesex seeing several players being named tomorrow.

adelaide 29 May, 2020 10:58
Tom Helm in a group but as there are 55 of them...

Adelaide

Jonathan Winsky 29 May, 2020 19:38
Going by the breakdown BBC have used in their article on this news, England have named 25 ‘batsmen and wicketkeepers’, 22 ‘fast bowlers (including all-rounders)’ and 8 ‘spin bowlers (including all-rounders)’, so I don’t think that Middlesex treasurer David Kendix will be enthused by the fact that Tom Helm is just one of 22 seamers seen as being in contention to play for England or that - aside from Eoin Morgan - not a single other member of our squad is currently seen as being remotely close to the England side.

On a brighter note, we might gain financially whenever Dawid Malan plays for England, as although he has moved to Yorkshire, I believe that counties continue to get rewarded when they have played a role in an England player’s development. For example, Leicestershire have done well financially out of Stuart Broad’s long career with England, although admittedly Broad came through Leicestershire’s youth set-up, whereas I think that a lot of Malan’s development took place in South Africa. Still, it is for this reason that I have hope that we would gain if Jamie Porter - who used to be part of Middlesex’s academy before becoming unattached to a county prior to re-emerging at Essex - ever plays for England, although his omission in today’s announcement suggests that he has slipped off their radar after being seen as being in contention a couple of years ago.

Seaxe_man1 31 May, 2020 15:15
You could be right about Malan JW. Mx have been a decent part of Malan's development and maybe collect something. Helm comes off furlough and moves to ECB payroll for the training duration. Given Mx form over the past three years it was unlikely many would attract attention. Malan left saying he didn't want to ' plod along' for the remainder of his career. Which suggests he doesn't see an immediate Mx revival.

Fozzie 31 May, 2020 17:49
Two Middlesex players in the 55. But only one, Dam Lawrence from the County Champions, Essex.

Bring back the Crusaders 01 June, 2020 00:06
To be honest I'm struggling to think of a player who deserves to be anywhere near test selection. Its been said before but this is the worst squad in living memory.

Seaxe_man1 01 June, 2020 10:52
Most of the white ball runs went. Malan and Stirling, the second an ECB requirement.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net