Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8
Re: Happy Middlesex day
Bobstan 16 September, 2020 11:56
Quote:
freddie tittlemouse
Didn't they bring back Rutland? And re-split Herefordshire and Worcestershire into two counties. We need Seaxe Man to lead a popular uprising to reinstate Middlesex. A new Perkin Warbeck. Or was it Wat Tyler?

Grammar, ft. Which Tyler?

adelaide 17 September, 2020 15:04
Quote:
freddie tittlemouse
Certainly Staines Sunbury and Shepperton which continue to be situated North of the Thames. Also Shepherds Bush so I could claim to support a Middlesex football team.

Ah, there you go. Shepherd's Bush became part of the county of London rather than Middlesex in 1889, so you want to go back over 130 years.

Of course that was a transfer from one county council to another. I am too young to know whether there was a campaign pre-1965 for the restoration of the pre-1889 Middlesex. I rather doubt it. I also doubt whether there are campaigns for pre-1965 Essex, Kent or Surrey, or pre-1974 Worcestershire. Seems to me that is because an administrative county of that name still existed, whereas Middlesex was (in an administrative sense) abolished. It is if the absence of the label is all that matters.

Which brings me to SM's Eric Pickles letter, which said that people were free to use the traditional names. Well of course they are. People are free to say they live in Wessex if they want but that's all it is, an emotional label. That's completely different from (yet another) reorganisation recreating a county council. The name "Pickles " and the phrase "good sense" don't go well in the same sentence but it seems that Pickles had the good sense to stick to the harmless populism which was all he was really good for, rather than supporting real change!

BTW, I wonder whether the inhabitants of Staines and Shepperton would really want to be returned to a county which had inner city problems to deal with?

Use whatever labels you like, folks, but please don't confuse it with things which really affect peoples' lives, like how things are run.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 17 September, 2020 16:44
The White paper proposal I have seen Adelaide suggests that instead of having unrecognisable areas such as West Midlands, they revert to the trad counties with a mayor of that county as the top man. Presumably elected to provide a recognisable local flavour. Put to the vote I reckon there would be support. I still see no reason to remove Middlesexshire from the map of England to facilitate the mess known as the GLC. It is expensive and not well run. It's removal by the political numpties, was in their interest of discouraging a reversal. Had it been put to the vote they would have lost and they know it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/09/2020 16:47 by Seaxe_man1.

adelaide 17 September, 2020 17:50
SM

I'm having problems finding such a White Paper. Any chance of a link please?

Adelaide

freddie tittlemouse 17 September, 2020 17:53
I always say I was born in Teddington Middlesex, not London.
Do people in Shepperton say they were born in Shepperton, Surrey? I doubt it.

adelaide 17 September, 2020 20:51
Freddie

Interesting. I'd never say "Southgate, Middlesex". I suspect it is something to do with habit arising from the postal address. Of course the citizens of Southgate were just as much administered by Middlesex CC as those of Teddington, postal addresses having a very loose relationship with actual county boundaries.

As the postal address of Shepperton is (or was) "Shepperton, Surrey", I would not be surprised to hear any Sheppertonian under the age of 60 refer to "Shepperton, Surrey". The majority of them would be surprised to learn that they were once part of Middlesex.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 18 September, 2020 09:01
Letter writers from Spelthorne, the ancient Middlesex Hundred by a majority of about 20/1 say their address is Middlesex. Indeed on a recent trip to Staines on Thames, Tesco at Ashford have a huge sign proclaiming this is Tesco's Ashford Middlesex store close by the still West Middlesex Hospital which also has not heard the news about Surrey. All of this stems back to the dinosaur age of the 60/70s when big was beautiful. All of their contraptions GLC, EU are now seen for what they are. Expensive white elephants. Still supported of course by the modern dinosaurs, Blair, Major, Heseltine and co.

Seaxe_man1 18 September, 2020 09:02
Quote:
adelaide
SM
I'm having problems finding such a White Paper. Any chance of a link please?

Adelaide
if I get news Adelaide. Will advise. SM.

adelaide 18 September, 2020 09:49
Thanks, SM. Presumably not a published White Paper then, or it would be visible.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 18 September, 2020 10:10
The small note I read Adelaide said to be published this autumn. No date. If that happens then you should be able access pandemic notwithstanding.

Bobstan 18 September, 2020 11:22
Some credit is due to Pickles. He did find the World Cup.

Seaxe_man1 18 September, 2020 13:41
Hopefully he relocates Middlesexshire on the map of England as well. When he found The World Cup, we were already in that smelly dump, the GLC.Wotta a mistaka to maka.

freddie tittlemouse 18 September, 2020 15:50
My mum's postal address remained Shepperton Middlesex until the mid 1980s when she moved away and everybody I know in the Spelthorne and Hampton area use Middlesex in their addresses and Squires Garden Centre in Shepperton states that it is in Middlesex so I regret Adelaide that for once you are gravely mistaken.

adelaide 18 September, 2020 17:59
Freddie

In that case so is the Royal Mail's own website, which quotes Shepperton Post Office's address as

33 High Street, Shepperton, Surrey, TW17 9AB.

You would think that they would know. However, you would also think that they would know that the postal county is no longer part of the official postal address!

Looking at Wikipedia, it does say that Middlesex was retained as the postal county for Staines, Shepperton etc., although it was not for Potters Bar. So I (and the Royal Mail website?) may well have been wrong.

However, doesn't that actually strengthen my point as to why Sheppertonians might say "Shepperton, Middlesex" whereas residents of Southgate, Hackney and Hammersmith pribably would not?

I also came across this quote from 1963.

"In a written answer in the House of Lords in 1963, Lord Chesham, Parliamentary Secretary at the Ministry of Transport estimated that about 7% of towns and villages with a post office lay in a postal county different from their geographical county"

So even then there was only a loose correlation between the two, quite rightly as they served completely different purposes.

Adelaide

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net