Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10
Re: Happy Middlesex day
adelaide 30 September, 2020 12:45
Quote:
Seaxe_man1
That's the spirit Adelaide. With the charge for an average property approaching two grand to support the political entity called the GLC it would be interesting to know the level of non payment. Either because they can't or won't. Khan has persisted in jacking the charge up year on year. Eventually it will reach the point where large numbers cannot pay. What happens then? All in the slammer. A daft idea in the first place. One of many from that era which we are trying to unlumber from now. High time to move on from the GLC nonsense. A holiday home for the political class and pals.

SM

Let's try some facts.

On the Enfield website, the GLA's share of Band D council tax is shown as £332. Of this, £252 pays for the Metropolitan Police, £55 to the London Fire Brigade, £2 to transport and the princely sum of £23 left over specifically relating to the GLA's other functions. I don't recall us ever having had a Middlesex Police or Fire Brigade.

The bulk of the £1696 total is attributable to the London Boroughs, not the GLA/Police/Fire Brigade. It is the boroughs, by the way, that do most of what Middlesex CC used to do, not the GLA. Education is just one example but probably the most obvious. Surely you would not want to push such services up to a less local level?

Councils are obligated by central government to do much more than they used to. Change the name of the council and you haven't changed a thing. Reorganise the councils and you might, just might, see some savings in running costs but history tends to suggest that the actual cost of the reorganisation is not recovered.

It'd fine that identifying with Middlesex may give people a sense of belonging and a nice warm glow inside but let's leave it at that and separate it from this fantasy that putting a Middlesex badge on something that actually does something has magical effects.

Adelaide

freddie tittlemouse 30 September, 2020 15:26
Talking of islands I always thought that Magna Carta Island, one of the most important sites in our history, had been stolen from Middlesex but it turns out to be in Berkshire.
However it was apparently stolen from Buckinghamshire in the 70s, not in a dawn raid, but at the whim of some faceless bureaucrats. Don't ask me why.
There must be dozens of islands in the Thames. I wonder who decides which jurisdiction they fall under. Is there a Quango specially for the purpose?

adelaide 30 September, 2020 17:24
Freddie

I'd take a wild guess that the boundaries follow the best navigation channel, hence its weird nature around Brentford Ait. Further east it looks like the boundary is halfway between the banks.

Just out of interest, I had a look at Enfield "Island" (where the Small Arms factory was). My old A to Z (1989) shows much of this falling in Epping Forest District. It also shows the border between Enfield and Epping Forest taking the most convoluted route through the adjacent reservoir - perhaps the pre-reservoir line of the river Lea.

However, more recent maps show the border pushed to the eastern side of the reservoir and far enough east to accommodate the whole of Enfield Island Village. Very sensible but an example of how boundaries have never been sacrosanct.

Incidentally, there is a nice walk between Chingford and Enfield Lock through Epping Forest and skirting the reservoir. Best done going west as you lose altitude that way. I think it is part of the London Loop. Chingford to Chigwell ain't bad either, apart from the risk of running into the Birds of a Feather.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 01 October, 2020 10:16
Adelaide. We are talking local government. By no stretch can the remote GLC or A on the other side of the river can be described as local to us. Like most of that era the political class were intent on distancing themselves from the electorate and general franchise which they have never liked. All those plebs having a say. The 332 quid you mention is the same here in Harrow and it could be spent better locally. Our charge is s fair bit higher anyway. Btw Adelaide. Has your GLC/A member popped round for a doorstep chat recently. Covid 19 means he/she has to stand on the pavement suitably masked. Never seen mine before or after the pandemic.Did have a bloke called James Bond Liberal Democrat who once called round. Booted out next time after they jacked up the charge 15% at the first opportunity.

Seaxe_man1 01 October, 2020 10:54
And btw Adelaide. 5% of your charge and mine in inbuilt for non payment by others which they know from experience they will never recover. Not sure where they bury that cos I am pretty sure not shown openly cos some would challenge that portion if they did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2020 10:56 by Seaxe_man1.

adelaide 01 October, 2020 11:09
Oops - false start. See next post.

Adelaide

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2020 11:38 by adelaide.

adelaide 01 October, 2020 11:37
Most of the £332 goes on the police and the fire service.

Do you really think that could be spent better locally? With a Harrow Police service and a Harrow Fire Brigade?

As the GLA appears to have just 25 members, I would not expect to see them as my local councillors (there are about 60 on my borough).

The GLA is supposed to deal with what are seen (rightly or wrongly) as strategic Londonwide issues and the Londonwide services like the police, fire service and TfL. The boroughs are responsible for the rest.

That differs from pre-1965 when the local boroughs did far less and Middlesex CC far more. That may have worked when much of Middlesex was rural but the world changes. So the 1965 change made a number of services far more local while pushing up strategic issues to a less local level. On balance that made local democracy more local, giving "all those plebs" a say.

Your renewed Middlesex CC - would it take back stuff like education from the boroughs? But I forget. I doubt very much that you really care as long as there is something you can nail to your mast.

The sad fact is that, whatever the structure and the labels, politicians will always remain capable of being self-interested, distant, vain, corrupt, indecisive and bureaucracies capable of inertia, feeding itself, incompetent (both lists could go on). Much the same proportion of council tax payers would be unwilling or unable to pay the council tax.

Your nostalgic memories of pre-1965 may lead you to suppose that it was all fine then. I very much doubt it!

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 01 October, 2020 13:42
Like most things Adelaide a matter of opinion and.preference. Are things better now than pre 1965 for the plebs? I doubt it. What is a fact. We pay a helluva lot for the privilege of the current political jamboree.

adelaide 01 October, 2020 18:14
SM

If things are worse (or better) for the plebs than they were in 1965, I doubt that that is restricted to citizens of Middlesex, or of areas which had undergone reorganisation. It is down to much wider trends in society, surely.

Even if things were better pre-1965, that doesn't mean that returning to pre-1965 systems would mean a return to those halcyon days. You haven't presented any reasons why things would be different, let alone better. Now if you told me it meant John White would come back to life and Spurs would do the double...

Adelaide

Marlowboy 01 October, 2020 18:43
[quote adelaide]The sad fact is that, whatever the structure and the labels, politicians will always remain capable of being self-interested, distant, vain, corrupt, indecisive and bureaucracies capable of inertia, feeding itself, incompetent (both lists could go on). Much the same proportion of council tax payers would be unwilling or unable to pay the council tax.

Adelaide is correct regarding the political class, be it in Middlesex, Buckinghamshire, for myself, or any other area they get into.

Seaxe_man1 02 October, 2020 14:39
Exactly my point Marlow Boy. Speculation is the name of the game. However, personally I would like the corruption to be a little more local than is currently the case.

adelaide 02 October, 2020 15:25
Quote:
Seaxe_man1
Exactly my point Marlow Boy. Speculation is the name of the game. However, personally I would like the corruption to be a little more local than is currently the case.

A large chunk of Middlesex CC stuff did become more local in 1965 so associated corruption is more local than before! So you should welcome its abolition!

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 11 October, 2020 11:57
From a fan of the sixties era Adelaide which said that big was beautiful. Well said. There are signs now that they are crumbling slowly.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net