Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8
Re: Happy Middlesex day
Bobstan 18 May, 2020 16:52
I think it is probably unwise to judge a PM on one issue.

Would I rather have the current incumbent in preference to any of the three 1960s PMs, Macmillan, Dougles-Home or Wilson? Don't be foolish.

Seaxe_man1 18 May, 2020 20:00
Those three not alone, kicked started our troubles in the second half of the 20th century bigtime.

adelaide 18 May, 2020 21:03
You've lost me. How did they do that, SM?

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 18 May, 2020 21:40
Would take too long. I will say the third bloke in creating British Leyland pretty much destroyed the British car industry at a stroke plus the jobs and skills associated.

adelaide 18 May, 2020 22:42
You have to look further back. BL was a merger between Leyland (profitable) and the British Motor Corporation (supposedly on the point of collapse at the time). BMC was Austin, Morris, Riley, Wolseley and so on. The idea was that Leyland's expertise would reinvigorate BMC. Why was BMC in a mess? Probably through being stuck in the old "British way is best" past. Economists say that was widespread across the economy and the reason why the UK was lagging behind Continental rivals. The unions of the time did not help but maybe the intensely confrontational nature (from both sides) of industrial relations was another part of "the British way is best".

Wilson (and our old friend Tony Benn) was trying to sort out a mess which had been many years in the making. You could say that successive governments had failed to make reforms but the private sector companies have to take much of the blame for their own demise.

The UK's consistently sclerotic economy was of course one of the reasons why governments wanted to join the EEC as it then was.

On a lighter note, there is the old BL executive joke. "Bad news, we lose £100 on each car we make. Good news, we sold 10,000 more this year."

OK, how much further off topic can we go?

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 18 May, 2020 23:39
The first two were asociated with the wind of change. You need to check its blowing in the right direction though. Plus with their mate Horace embarked on their London takeover by abolishing Middlesex. The wind blew in the. wrong direction again. Wilson being Labour had their usual prescription, nationalisation. That was guaranteed to finish it off and did.. Sir Michael Edwards the last chairman. He also started the buying off the shelf, when cancelling TSR2, still with us today. From complete aircraft we are left with the wings. The EU.gulag. The euromark which has bankrupted Portugal, Spain, Italy and Greece but left Merkel sitting.pretty as was intended. Lob in the fishing industry and train construction and it was a really good idea.

adelaide 19 May, 2020 01:36
The whole point about the the wind of change was that it was an external force - the inevitable process of decolonisation (which I presume you do not regret having happened). Arguably the UK as a whole (not just governments) failed to respond to other winds of change that were to leave Germany and Japan in the economic ascendancy. After all, we were British so we must be best.

Cutler did not become leader of the GLC until 1977. He was deputy leader earlier but his big thing (apart from being a "character") was selling off council houses and transferring the rest of the GLC stock to the boroughs, not transport. Cutler was the last leader of Middlesex CC so if he was instrumental in all this he was a turkey voting for Christmas!

The Royal Commission recommending the establishment of the GLC reported in 1960. Originally it was going to cover an even bigger area but Wikipedia reports that

"Some areas on the boundaries of the area recommended by the Herbert Commission, fearing increased local taxation, fought successfully not to come under the new Greater London Council, notably the urban districts of Chigwell in Essex; and Sunbury-on-Thames, Staines and Potters Bar in Middlesex. Other areas recommended for inclusion that were never part of Greater London included Epsom and Ewell, Caterham and Warlingham, Esher, and Weybridge."

Many county council responsibilities (e g education) were transferred to the new boroughs, so in that sense power was being devolved downwards. The GLC was meant to be a strategic authority; that was why Cutler wanted to get shot of all the ex-LCC housing to the boroughs, if he couldn't sell 'em.

Adelaide

Re: Happùy Middlesex day
Surbiton crusader2 20 May, 2020 19:18
Sorry to hijack this thread but what's all this political claptrap got to do with "happy Middlesex day???

SC2

Seaxe_man1 20 May, 2020 20:56
I think it had something to do with the hijack of Middlesex in days of yore.

adelaide 21 May, 2020 10:21
SC

It goes back to MCCC reproducing a handout on their website, effectively calling in aid the old canard that postal addresses were relevant. Which they aren't. People can believe what they like about whether Middlesex still exists and in which of its many forms but should not be basing their case on how it was convenient for a body to organise deliveries and collections.

The rest of it just spread out from there. Still, we have to do something during lockdown.

Adelaide

freddie tittlemouse 21 May, 2020 12:56
According to google translation a canard is a duck. And that is very relevant to Middlesex batsmen.

Seaxe_man1 21 May, 2020 13:37
Cricket and politics have long been bedfellows. In recent times the D'oliveira Affair. Rebel Tour etc. I assume SC2 doesn't consider that to be claptrap. The Greater London Council and the abolishment of the Middlesex Council to a fair minded person is politics pure and simple. This was recognised by the then membership of 1965 when a motion was raised to change our name to Greater London CC. This was kicked into touch thankfully.

adelaide 21 May, 2020 15:57
That would have been interesting, SM, as it would have meant that the area the club was representing would have included The Oval!

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 26 May, 2020 11:33
Back at the 1996 AGM the idea of Greater London County Cricket Club reared its head again. This was prompted by the then membership booklet displaying a map outline of the traditional County of Middlesex. This prompted a guy, who I can still see, querying the said map as in his view we are GLCCC. He looked pale as though this had given him sleepless nights. The top table gave a stony faced response and said next question. He sat down. As Beefy said and I reiterate. Happy Middlesex Day.

Bobstan 26 May, 2020 11:55
Some talk of Kent or Devon
Or Sussex by the sea,
But the county nearest heaven
Is the county dear to me.
Middlesex so neat, so fair
Middlesex beyond compare,
Though we’re not sure where it is
We’re sure it’s there.

If Middlesex had a mountain range
The snow-white peaks would all exchange
The echo of the eagle’s call,
And streams would gush
And waters fall,
And the mountain winds would blow
And the mountain winds would blow.
But they don’t, and I should know.
I’m from that noble clan;
I’m a Middlesex man.

Some talk of glorious Gloucester
And Wiltshire in the west
But the county I still foster
Is the county I love best:
Middlesex so bold so free
Where there’s honey still for tea
Though I’m not sure where it is
It’s home to me.

(in a John Betjeman voice)
From Pinner’s welcome roof-tops
To Harrow’s pointed spires
And Wealdstone’s fish and chip shops
Where we ran to after choir.
Oh gosh, how I remember those neat suburban ways
Of Hatch End in September
Those sunny schoolboy days.
So comfortable and cosy;
It’s all so far off now
For then my world seemed rosy.
I even quite liked Slough.

If Middlesex had wide open fields
At harvest time the record yields
Would fill the barns with golden grain,
And fruit swelled by the summer rain
Would weigh the fruit trees low,
Would weigh the fruit trees low.
I’m part of God’s great plan;
I’m a Middlesex man.

Some sing in praise of Surrey
Or Suffolk in the east,
But here there is no worry
And every crust’s a feast.
Middlesex, what joy is this,
Jewel of our metropolis.
Though we’re not sure where it is
It’s close to bliss

If Middlesex had been by the sea
The white cliffs there would surely be
Lashed by breakers’ crashing foam,
And seagulls’ cries would call us home,
And the harbour lights would glow
And the harbour lights would glow.
I have no salt sea tan;
I’m a Middlesex man.

(in John Betjeman’s voice)
From commuting, city-suited
I dream aboard the train
Of rugby, dubbin-booted
On clay at Headstone Lane
In shorts well scrubbed by mother
Clad in my B Team shirt,
Playing with my brother –
Oh how the scrums did hurt!
Now Middlesex is older
And my life’s nearly run.
If only I’d been bolder
With lovely Hunter-Dunne.

Seaxe_man1 26 May, 2020 12:05
Brilliant Bobstan. Rings a bell throughout for me.

adelaide 26 May, 2020 13:16
"Though we're not sure where it is" - brilliant!

I don't know about mountains but I was quite amused when I read a book which referred to the Northern Line serving the "Northern Heights", as if you need oxygen to climb Barnet Hill. We also appear to have a beach at Ruislip Lido, judging by photos from yesterday.

Adelaide

Bobstan 26 May, 2020 18:26
Northern Heights Mill Hill (Middle) through the tunnel under the Heights to Borehamwood (Herts).

By the way, I wouldn't want anyone to think that I wrote the Middlesex poem/song. It was written by Peter Christie, a Middlesex man. He was one of the four members of the band Instant Sunshine, probably the brains behind it. They met as trainee doctors at St Thomas's Hospital, but I suspect none of them went on to serve very long in the medical profession.

The 3 other members were David Barlow, Alan Maryon-Davis and Miles Kington. Kington became well known as a newspaper columnist. I went to one of their gigs at The Stables at Wavendon, home of John Dankworth and Cleo Laine. A very clever group.

Seaxe_man1 26 May, 2020 18:42
There is a beach at Ruislip Lido Adelaide served by the H13 bus. Single deck so distancing a problem. Robstan. Harking back to Barber Ball and Bill. The RL beach courtesy of Hillingdon Council. Will one of their sons get back in the whiteball team. Alex Hales.

Seaxe_man1 26 May, 2020 18:44
There is a beach at Ruislip Lido Adelaide served by the H13 bus. Single deck so distancing a problem. Bobstan. Harking back to Barber Ball and Bill. The RL beach courtesy of Hillingdon Council. Will one of their sons get back in the whiteball team. Alex Hales.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/05/2020 18:46 by Seaxe_man1.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net