Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Happy Middlesex day
adelaide 01 June, 2020 18:40
I think Cutler's building firm went bust because of an unpaid tax bill!

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 02 June, 2020 11:30
He certainly left everybody a few bills in his wake Adelaide. Easing of quarantine for elite sports pushes door ajar for Australia one day tour later on.

Seaxe_man1 03 June, 2020 09:58
Adelaide. A favour. I have heard that the Wilf Slack Memorial Ground the refurbishment of which was assisted by asking for contributions from Mx members in November 96 and 98. Is no longer in the use which their contributions were made. Rumoured a community footie ground. If so, looks a breach of trust. 22 years ago, a V H Cook of N21 was in charge. As it is in your part of the world. Do you have any information? Many thanks.

adelaide 03 June, 2020 12:42
It is at the far end of Finchley so some way from me. I don't know any more than I can glean off the internet, which you have probably done by now anyway. A private school plays matches there and their website claims that the ground and pavilion have been improved, so I doubt that cricket there is no more. I have no idea whether the school owns or rents the ground, or whether there is wider use of it.

The aims of the Trust, as outlined on the relevant Charity Commission page, make no mention of the ground. Have they changed over the years? Is there an obligation on recipients of Trust money to let the public in? I simply don't know.

Clive Radley is one of the six trustees named on the Charity Commission website, by the way.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 03 June, 2020 15:04
Thanks Adelaide obliged. As you say, I googled it up.. According to that temporarily closed. However, it states that it contains cricket and football pitches and tennis. As I see it as Mx members assisted in the rebuild and it was part of the Mx Development Association, the Chairman a VHCook. So, my questions are. When did the change take place and why were members not told.? With the Copthall scheme on hold. Disability and Women's cricket could use a place like this. I have raised this as a question for the next members forum. Looks suspiciosly like a breach of faith since contributions were made in the belief it was Wilf's legacy. Interesting you mention Clive Radley as a trustee. It is probably an AGM question but I feel we should be told.

Sussex Seaxe 03 June, 2020 16:46
The Wilf Slack ground is very close to where I supposedly 'grew up' in Finchley. When I was a boy it was, I think the Smiths Clocks sports ground and is just along the road from Finchley CC.

I would be very sad to think that it was not used for cricket. I have no problem with other sports there too, in fact the more the better, but cricket was obviously his sport. As I'm now miles away, I have no current way of physically checking.

As an aside, I once sat on the same table as Wilf at a dinner. As I am not a regular attender of formal dinners, I felt slightly out of place, but he was charming, down to earth and great company. It was a good evening and I always had a soft spot for him thereafter.

adelaide 03 June, 2020 17:21
Wikipedia says it was once owned by Barnet Council.

The aerial photo on Google Maps clearly shows a cricket square with four pitches. Two sets of tennis courts are also apparent. The copyright date for the photo is 2020.

Google Maps also shows the ground as the location for Highgate Cricket Club but I am pretty sure they play further south.

I think it is highly likely that cricket continues. The question is whether it continues for anyone but the school.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 04 June, 2020 09:10
Agree SS. Back in the eighties I, exiting Lords towards the Pavilion, when Wilf came along in the opposite direction. We crossed under the Grandstand I said a quick hallo. He stopped and we had a decent chat. I agree SS. He was exactly as you described him. A gentleman. Hope to ascertain from the hierarchy the current status of the ground. As I said previously. It was under the umbrella of the Middlesex Development Association in 1998 when contributions were requested for its completion. Something has changed since.

Seaxe_man1 05 June, 2020 09:35
Isa Guha is to head up the BBC's return to Test Match highlights assisted by Sir Alastair Cook and Michael Vaughan. She left Sky where it was thought she would replace Gower

Seaxe_man1 09 June, 2020 08:53
High time that Middlesex was put back on the map of England. Ridiculous that an important county such as Middlesex, with it's history is not shown. From a conversation I had ten years back with the Local Government Minister Eric Pickles. It appears Ordnance Survey are the purveyors of maintaining the sixties nonsense which is irrevelant today. The present government even have a Reversing Beeching unit which was another ill thought out nonsense from that era. Have emailed a guy there who surprisingly is still there ten years later. Chances of a reply. Who knows.

adelaide 09 June, 2020 09:25
SM

Ordnance Survey? Now that really is total tosh. What on earth would their interest be, one way or the other?

The other thing that would guarantee it being total tosh is if it came out of the mouth of Pickles, a man who seemed never to let reality prevent him going for populist headlines.

I suspect that the was just diverting your ire towards a third party that wasn't present.

Adelaide

freddie tittlemouse 09 June, 2020 18:23
Adelaide, Ordnance Survey is in fact a subversive organise which hides it's real purpose of destroying civilisation as we know it behind a facade of drawing a few maps. If you study one of their maps for several hours you will see they are full of subliminal messages.
As for Eric Pickles didn't he end his days as a roundabout on the A41?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2020 18:27 by freddie tittlemouse.

adelaide 10 June, 2020 12:26
Freddie - Ah yes, such as their map of The Lizard. Not sure if David Icke and his fellow conspiracy theory enthusiasts have found that one yet.

OS was originally set up to map Britain for military defence purposes, I think. I had some contact with them and the whole world of mapping in my last few working years. There was the ridiculous situation one central and local government having to pay an agency of central government (OS) in order to use their maps.

I did end up appreciating how maps these days are a selection of different layers of information superimposed upon each other. I suppose they always were but it is a lot easier to switch layers on and off with modern mapping technology than with transparencies.

To get back (sort of) to context, that is why it would be dead easy these days for OS to substitute one set of admin boundaries for another, which is why they would have absolutely no interest one way or the other in what those boundaries were. They didn't seem to object when Avon and Cleveland were abolished, did they?

As for Pickles, I think the dog that found the World Cup in 1966 would have done a better job.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 11 June, 2020 10:31
Ah Adelaide your favourite word 'tosh' in use again. The Pickles tosh was thus: ' as you may know the Ordnance Survey, tasked by the Government ( this was The Chuckle Bros era of Cameron and Osborne) with the development and provision of consistent and accurate information across the whole of the United Kingdom, producing maps of the COUNTIES of England which reflect current administrative areas.'

A conflict here, as COUNTIES are not generally administrative areas since the 1964 to 1974 tosh.. Certainly the use of the word 'tosh' applies here when an important County such as Middlesex does not appear on the map of England..

Steeped in English history. Home county of Roger Bannister, Mike Brearley, John Price, all Harrow born, Johnny Haynes of Edmonton and Lawrence Dallaglio of Shepherds Bush and many others. You and I for instance.

This letter by chance was dated 11 November 2010, 92nd anniversary of the end of the First World War and sent by a guy called Peter Crowe who appears to still be there.

freddie tittlemouse 11 June, 2020 13:24
Not to forget other famous Middlesexians like Levi Bellfield and Graham Young (the St Albans poisoner).

Seaxe_man1 11 June, 2020 13:41
Don't forget Jack the Ripper Freddie.

freddie tittlemouse 11 June, 2020 16:53
Born in Windsor actually if you accept the allegations.

adelaide 11 June, 2020 17:25
SM

If "tosh" is my favourite word, it's because you keep writing it!

That remit seems to imply that county and administrative area are the same thing, which isn't true now because in some counties all the powers have been devolved to boroughs (unitary authorities).

I don't see why such a remit would make them keen to veto (not that they could) the reestablishment of Middlesex. Whatever the boundaries, current, pre-1965, medieval - they can do the lot very very easily.

Pickles did have a thing about (old) counties in general. He also had a thing about regions, which he claimed had been foisted upon us by the EU. That was nonsense; regional statistics (which is what he was trying to abolish) had been around for years when I started work and the EU just used the regions the UK was already using. Every other government department ignored him. I could never work out whether he really believed all this or was just trying to appeal to the wing of his party that regretted having left the nineteenth century. So I can understand his saying he would like Middlesex back but not why he shoved the blame onto OS. All that suggests is that the Minister for the Department which funded OS understood not the first thing about modern mapping!

Of course telling that absolutely no proposal to reinstate Middlesex emerged from Pickles. All populist talk and no substance. Or to put it another way, he was stringing people along.

Mr Dallaglio's existence (or that of his credit card) would of course have been greatly missed by a certain establishment in (I think) the Bloomsbury area, according to Press reports. I suspect that a few statues of Middlesex "luminaries" will be identified in weeks to come.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 19 June, 2020 11:18
As we are currently reviewing English History and it's links to slavery which includes a list of unsavoury characters, to some, whose statues should now be toppled or vandalised. I am starting my list. Top of that is Horace Cutler. If any are seen, statues, they are to be toppled immediately and dumped in the Thames. As a token gesture to freeing the plebs of Middlesexshire enslaved in 1964.

freddie tittlemouse 19 June, 2020 13:53
I don't think poor Horace even has a blue plaque.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net