Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Middlesex v Surrey July 26th-27th 2020
Discussion started by tallliman , 24 June, 2020 13:26
Middlesex v Surrey July 26th-27th 2020
tallliman 24 June, 2020 13:26
cricket is returning (behind closed doors): [www.kiaoval.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 29/07/2020 17:25 by BarmierKev.

Re: Middlesex v Surrey July 26th-27th 2020
freddie tittlemouse 24 June, 2020 15:29
Guinness book of records candidate for the latest ever pre season friendly.

Is it still possible to watch cricket from the block of flats in Harleyford Road? Or from the top of the gasometer?

RadstockRob 24 June, 2020 18:45
Surrey will be doing a live feed of the match.

SOMERSET THE TEAM TO WATCH.

Jonathan Winsky 24 June, 2020 19:31
It is great news that there is an indication that some competitive county cricket will take place in 2020. Hopefully, the following few weeks will see confirmation of the structure and possibly the fixturelist for the season, or at the very least will see other counties announcing some friendlies. Surely, tomorrow’s virtual Middlesex AGM will see comment about how confident the club are that some cricket will be played this season, and about any preparations being made (e.g. staff being taken off furlough, and training starting).

I would like to say that the live stream of this match is bound to generate views from the many people starved of seeing live cricket from Britain, but I am unsure considering that the match will coincide with the final Test of the England v West Indies series from Old Trafford. Then again, the fact that Old Trafford hardly ever stages Tests entirely unaffected by rain gives hope that there will be stoppages which encourage people to tune into Surrey v Middlesex. The fact that there will be six presumably moving cameras broadcasting this match shows that Surrey are putting a lot more effort into recording this match compared to having just one or two static cameras. Regardless of whether or not spectators are allowed to attend matches in 2020, it would be great if more counties devote as many resources as Surrey are devoting into their broadcasts.

I very much hope that the fact that a lot of aspects of life are now beginning to return towards what they were pre-lockdown will not result in what I consider the key coronavirus numbers (e.g. deaths, new infections, r number, people being treated in hospital) either increasing or barely decreasing, as that would delay the point when the consensus says that it is safe to once again attend sporting events. A much-feared second wave would feel like a massive blow for a massive amount of reasons.

Bobstan 26 June, 2020 10:43
Sadly, Jonathan, many other counties probably don't have the resources to match Surrey's coverage.

Jonathan Winsky 26 June, 2020 19:18
At last night’s Middlesex AGM, treasurer David Kendix announced that the club will be investing in more cameras to broadcast our home matches, so I am hopeful that one positive aspect of it being possible that county cricket may take place in 2020 in front of no spectators or with restrictions on crowd numbers is that other counties will make similar improvements to their broadcasts.

In 2008, ECB announced that they would grant counties £9m to allow all main grounds to install floodlights (something which all counties other than Worcestershire have been able to do), so it would be great if ECB could launch a similar scheme to improve the quality of online streams. Surely, this would cost nowhere near £9m.

However, the fact that a lot of counties as well as ECB have suffered financially due to the pandemic may restrict the likelihood of money being found for such a scheme.

Jonathan Winsky 09 July, 2020 19:52
This match is set to not be Middlesex’s only pre-season match, as the Daventry Express report that we will play away to Northamptonshire, with it sounding like the match will be played around the end of July, so probably after we play Surrey at The Oval.

Jonathan Winsky 10 July, 2020 19:30
Before Surrey and Middlesex’s men’s sides play a two-day friendly at The Oval, the two counties’ women’s sides' annual London Cup meeting will take place there on Wednesday 22nd July, with the match being broadcast on both counties’ various social media channels.

Seaxe_man1 16 July, 2020 09:11
I understand Mx unlikely to able to make refunds. So some cricket in whatever manner is welcome.

Sussex Seaxe 17 July, 2020 12:43
It looks as if our game at the Oval will be one of the test events for spectators. Whether I would want to travel on the train, is another matter.

dingy bags 17 July, 2020 13:49
Probably Mexican members only.

Old Enfield Colt 17 July, 2020 15:16
Surrey to favour members + ballot for others ( per Grauniad on line ).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/07/2020 15:24 by Old Enfield Colt.

Jameslawler 17 July, 2020 15:37
This is good news. I think first day is a Sunday for this match. So no doubt there will be a lot of interest. According to the Surrey ccc Twitter page they will accounce the details for this match soon. I suspect only open for members whether just for Surrey member or Middlesex members remains to be seen I suspect only a.limited number can go with very limited catering facilities available at the ground. I also suspect if we go in the Pavilion face masks maybe a requirement. But at.least there will be some sort of a crowd.

Old Enfield Colt 17 July, 2020 15:46
Apparently spectators in Vauxhall End only, Pavilion in a bio secure bubble.

Jonathan Winsky 17 July, 2020 19:58
This pandemic has caused a lot of things to occur which, until a matter of months’ ago, would be scarcely believable. One such thing would be the prospect of Middlesex playing a men’s (probably-make-the-rules-up-as-they-go-along-in-order-to-ensure-that-everyone-gets-some-cricket-under-their-belts) two-day friendly v Surrey in July in which tickets would be highly-sought and with many sports fans around the UK (and maybe beyond) following events with curiosity.

Few if any counties have been as vocal as Surrey at expressing their hope at being able to welcome spectators into their matches before 2020 is over, although as their comments on this issue have regularly made it clear that priority for entry would go to their members, it is little surprise that it sounds like their members seem to stand much more chance of being able to attend this match compared to anyone else. About the only hope of Middlesex supporters being able to attend would be if there is insufficient interest amongst Surrey’s members.

The government’s website makes it clear that anyone attending sporting events will initially be subjected to various conditions, with the most notable conditions appearing to be requirements to enter and exit grounds at designated times and being discouraged from using public transport, so I particularly don’t like the sound of having to stay long after a day’s play or match has finished or on being discouraged from using public transport. Also, from what it sounds like, a lot of effort may be made at cricket matches to keep players far from spectators, so this might not be the only match in which spectators cannot enter the Pavilion.

The Daily Mail report from an angle that says that many counties are likely to be unhappy about today’s news suggesting that spectators cannot be admitted to sporting events until October and thus meaning that matchday revenue cannot be generated for the T20 Blast, but Cricinfo report that counties hope that the government allow counties to admit spectators for the Blast.

Jonathan Winsky 18 July, 2020 00:34
The discouragement of spectators using public transport to travel to matches contradicts comments that Boris Johnson made on Friday about people now being allowed to use public transport for non-essential purposes.

When I travel on Jubilee, Victoria and Northern lines on my journey to and from where I live in Wembley and where I work in Tooting, I aim to sit on the bum rests in my carriage, and as the trains have been relatively empty over the last few months, this enables me to be maintaining social distancing when I get on the train. The only problem with this is that someone can then stand near me, which defeats my hopes of remaining socially distanced. Still, travelling on public transport currently doesn’t fill me with too much fear, although what does fill me with fear is that social distancing is bound to get harder to achieve if the amount of people travelling in and out of Central London each day for work, leisure and retail etc. returns towards pre-lockdown levels, which means that my fears of contracting coronavirus increase too.

As London is seen as an area where car dependency is lower than the rest of the UK, I fail to see how people can be expected to travel to Lord’s, The Oval and any outgrounds Middlesex and Surrey may use without using public transport.

Although I remain unconvinced whether anyone hoping to see Middlesex play in 2020 will be forced to avoid public transport, they may have to undergo a health check upon entering grounds and possibly wear face coverings as well as observe the restrictions I mentioned in my previous post. The restrictions which are likely to be required to be observed sound stricter than what I must observe where I work at St George’s Hospital, despite my workplace being where several people have been treated for coronavirus, although admittedly I have no contact with patients when I am inside my office which is situated in an annexe building. At work, I am not required to wear a face covering, although I do it when outside my office in order to set an example. I underwent an assessment of my risk of contracting coronavirus (although the assessment wasn't comprehensive considering it ignored my lifestyle and focused on my general state of health), although I haven't been tested. I think that the assessment said that my risk was relatively low, so hopefully it hasn’t cursed things!

It seems like a welcome step forward that people are due to soon be allowed to attend sport (even if the conditions in which we may have to do it are less welcome), but I am reluctant to celebrate yet, as any increase in infections could completely ruin all this progress and could ultimately add several months to the time when attending sport may next be deemed safe. As much as I enjoy attending sport, I would have been happy to play the long game in order to stamp coronavirus out and to ensure that attending sport would not carry as much fear as it is likely to do when it is set to be possible within the next few months.

dingy bags 18 July, 2020 08:29
The way 2 day friendlies usually work is for each team to bat for one day each, however many wickets they lose. Squads involve as many players as you like, so lots of people get a bowl. It's cricket but not as we know it.

tbl 19 July, 2020 19:34
Someone from Surrey was interviewed on TMS yesterday. They will only open a small part of the ground (2-3,000 seats) and capacity will be 20-30% of that , so less than 1,000 tickets. He said it would be Surrey members only.

Jonathan Winsky 19 July, 2020 20:28
I wonder what the plans are for the scenario of the ball being hit into a spectators’ area in this match and in any professional matches played in front of spectators in Britain in the coming months. As those who have attended recreational matches have been advised against touching the ball, similar advice for professional cricket would mean that spectators would be advised against doing things such as helping find the ball and returning it to the fielding side. As Jofra Archer got into big trouble for leaving the England team’s biosecure bubble to briefly visit his home, and as efforts will presumably be made to keep players away from spectators during county matches, I am not sure whether players would be allowed to enter a spectators’ area to retrieve the ball. Maybe the ball will have to get changed every time it becomes infeasible for a player to retrieve it.

It will be interesting to see what areas of Lord’s would be open to spectators if the ground is allowed to admit spectators to County Championship matches there, as the Pavilion may be off-limits to spectators for player protection purposes, while the Compton and Edrich stands appear to be months away from being able to admit spectators. Maybe all four of the other stands will be opened regardless of which side the pitch is on in order to increase the area over which the crowd can space themselves out, which would also be good news for those who like to follow the sun.

Something else which it will be interesting to know would be whether people will be exempted from being required to maintain social distancing away from anyone they can prove that lives in the same household as them. Or will such people be prevented from sitting near each other? I know that when people are in public spaces (e.g. the park or the street), people are not expected to remain socially distanced from people from their household. However, I have heard announcements on the London Underground which have said something like “you must try to keep two metres away from other people, regardless of your relationship with them”.

I have had lots of thoughts on issues which may or may not arise from allowing people back into sporting events!

Hopefully next week’s friendly will go well on and off the field, as any setbacks in regards to grounds successfully admitting spectators or Britain and the wider world containing coronavirus would be a big blow.

Jonathan Winsky 20 July, 2020 19:16
Speaking to BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, Surrey chief executive Richard Gould has spoken about his hope that this match will get by smoothly and thus lead to spectators being allowed into competitive county matches in the next couple of months. Although I fear that the conditions which spectators may have to accept may make their experience unenjoyable, Gould says that he is keen for ways to be found for those attending to enjoy their experience.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net