Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Club cricket
Discussion started by BarmierKev , 12 July, 2020 12:16
Club cricket
BarmierKev 12 July, 2020 12:16
It was heartening to see on Social Media some of our regulars watching some form of cricket. I intend on watching Stanmore CC at some stage. I do not need ball by ball commentary but would be interested to hear about your experiences .

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/07/2020 20:59 by BarmierKev.

Re: Club cricket
BeefyRoberts 12 July, 2020 12:54
Went to Shepherds Bush CC yesterday.
It was a long awaited pre-season one day game vs neighbours Acton CC, they play over the back from The Bush.
45 overs a side, with a break after each block of 6 overs to sanitize hands, ball, bats, gloves etc and to grab a drink as well.
Bush won by 7 wickets, and was played as a game should, friendly with passion!

Must admit, I was slightly apprehensive about going, although I work for TfL and my first public transport use since late March. But, mask being used was no problem.

Back to The Bush, everything was really well organised, yes, we put our details down as requested and was only 1 at the bar, but if having help to carry drinks, and it was needed, help can stand back until all served. The facilities were well arranged, wont go into detail, but kept clean.
Plenty of hand sanitizer available, think I used too much as my hands have dried out, and not wanted to be honest!
A few ales were consumed to welcome the season, and we left at the end to allow the teams to carry on with social distancing being kept.
It was good to see how everyone was cautious, it was good to see how both teams played with the same caution as well.
Players had no use of changing rooms, but a gazebo had been put up for use, and nobody watching touched the ball when at boundary, although the obvious temptation was great!
And, it was great to see the season start with recreational cricket.

All in all, a good day out, and able to watch our great game again.

Anyone with a club nearby, take a trip along, and if possible spend a couple of ££ as well, all gratefully accepted of course.

Go again? Yep sure will!

Fozzie 12 July, 2020 12:59
Mrs Fozzie and I went off in search in search of some local club cricket yesterday. After an abortive trip to Hawridge and Cholesbury CC - groundsman hard at work, but no sign of cricketers - we rocked up at Ley Hill CC, on the outskirts of Chesham. The ground is on a pleasant village green, with three sides bordered by trees. Some 25 years ago we saw a benefit match there, with Alvin Kallicharan, Vinnie Jones and Bill Frindall all playing. If ever I saw a frustrated wannabe fast bowler, it was the Bearded Wonder that day.

Anyway, hallelujah, a match was in progress, and we joined the few spectators comfortably socially distanced on benches along one side. No idea which side was Ley Hill or who they were playing, but it didn't matter. The match was 20 overs per side, and a late flurry saw the team batting first reach 162-3, with a number of delays caused by sixes being hit into the trees. The fielding understandably looked a bit rusty, but the team batting first were then rather more canny in putting their more athletic fielders on the boundary edge. The side batting second fell steadily behind the asking rate, despite some late runs from a young teenager who did well, with the bowlers noticeably reducing their pace against him.

It finished a rather one-sided affair, but nobody minded. Everybody seemed to enjoy themselves, with the fielders all applauding and laughing at each other's exploits. I just hope they had all remembered to bring their own tea!

So, great to have cricket back, at whatever level. And I for one felt that I would take my local clubs rather less for granted in future.

freddie tittlemouse 13 July, 2020 11:38
Nothing more warming to the cockles than unexpectedly coming across a village cricket match and stopping to watch without knowing who is playing who or even what the score is unless somebody remembers to hang the numbers up.
I don't want to go all John Major but it really is quintessentially and uniquely English.

tallliman 14 July, 2020 19:40
I ended up watching West Bridgford Legion play Kimberley on Saturday. Only stayed for the first innings but it was just lovely to see bat on ball again. Kimberley won easily in the end according to the play-cricket website. Hoping to be able to see a match at Barkby CC soon too.

BeefyRoberts 19 July, 2020 11:29
Back to Shepherds Bush yesterday for first game of truncated season home to Finchley.
Finchley made 134-9 with Bush winning by 6 wits.
James Harris and Max Holden playing for Finchley and Bush. James Harris didnt bowl in the game, is that a club requirement to avoid injury?
A few watching the game, and, as last week well organised for those playing and watching.
Next week, away to Hampstead and week after home to Richmond.
All the Middlesex County League fixtures are in our members guide for this year.
Dates from July 18th are the fixtures, with one extra away to Ealing after the 5th Sept fixtures.
Ch 4 were there filming as well, but, cant remember what the programme is!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/07/2020 12:32 by BeefyRoberts.

Chesham Steve 19 July, 2020 12:52
Went to the Home Counties Division 2 match between Chesham and Great Brickhill, a game where batsmen struggled. Chesham went from 37-2 to 73-8 and were saved by a 9th wicket partnership of 42 before being all out for 119. Great Brickhill scored 105 despite also having a 9th wicket partnership of 42. Great to see some live Cricket.
One moment as the ball was going to the boundary, a cry of "don't touch it" to a spectator who wanted to pick the ball up and throw it back. He ignored the instruction and the ball had to go off to be cleaned. And the players went off every 6 overs, I assume to wash and sanitise their hands. As walking out bumped into Dingy Bats who had been also been to the game. Good to catch up. Now to decide where to go next Saturday.

BarmierKev 19 July, 2020 14:58
I'm hoping to go to Hampstead v Shepherds Bush before the Barnet play off game. Steve you can get there from Finchley Road.

Barmy Kev

Chesham Steve 19 July, 2020 17:39
I'm sure I could find my way there. See you on Saturday.

Sussex Seaxe 20 July, 2020 14:17
Quote:
Fozzie
Mrs Fozzie and I went off in search in search of some local club cricket yesterday. After an abortive trip to Hawridge and Cholesbury CC - groundsman hard at work, but no sign of cricketers - we rocked up at Ley Hill CC, on the outskirts of Chesham. The ground is on a pleasant village green, with three sides bordered by trees. Some 25 years ago we saw a benefit match there, with Alvin Kallicharan, Vinnie Jones and Bill Frindall all playing. If ever I saw a frustrated wannabe fast bowler, it was the Bearded Wonder that day.
Hawridge and Cholesbury! That brought back memories; I played my last game for my North London side there, before a job move brought me to Sussex. It is such a pretty ground, always a pleasure to play there and on that last occasion, a hot air balloon landed beyond the boundary. As I told my team mates in the changing room before the game that this would be my farewell performance, after25 years, I was given a bowl. If memory serves me right, I think I even took a wicket, which was a collector's item!

On moving down here, I joined a local club, with a similar set up, the ground being on open Common land. It was great last weekend to see large numbers of people there, most for a short time, but taking the time to watch a bit of cricket. I would encourage anyone to go along and support their local side - the club will appreciate it and you will get your fix!

BarmierKev 24 July, 2020 21:00
Sadly rain forecasted tomorrow so will give Hampstead v The Bush a miss. Better luck next week.

Fozzie 25 July, 2020 22:59
Quote:
Sussex Seaxe
Hawridge and Cholesbury! That brought back memories; I played my last game for my North London side there, before a job move brought me to Sussex. It is such a pretty ground, always a pleasure to play there and on that last occasion, a hot air balloon landed beyond the boundary. As I told my team mates in the changing room before the game that this would be my farewell performance, after25 years, I was given a bowl. If memory serves me right, I think I even took a wicket, which was a collector's item!

On moving down here, I joined a local club, with a similar set up, the ground being on open Common land. It was great last weekend to see large numbers of people there, most for a short time, but taking the time to watch a bit of cricket. I would encourage anyone to go along and support their local side - the club will appreciate it and you will get your fix!

Lovely memories, SS. I think Hawridge and Cholesbury got up and running last weekend, so I hope to get along soon. I imagine the Full Moon opposite will do very well out of it.

MiddleToWest 29 July, 2020 09:40
I umpired Devizes v Calne in the WEPL. I hadn't stood for over 3 years ago (time mostly) and this fixture has always had more than a bit of needle to it.

We had to abandon after 15 overs but all the players were as good as gold and just pleased to be back.

BarmierKev 31 July, 2020 13:50
I’m off to Stanmore v Harrow tomorrow. I heard Northwood are at home to Radlett. Feel free to share any other fixtures of interest. I have feeling this thread may dominate.

Barmy Kev

BeefyRoberts 31 July, 2020 14:21
In the MCCL, Brondesbury, Ealing, Shepherd's Bush, Teddington and Twickenham are all at home.
Might go to the Bush, if I have any enthusiasm

BarmierKev 08 August, 2020 20:14
Comprehensive win for Harrow St Mary’s v Brentham today. Ravi Patel got a 5fer and as soon as me and Rogers & Out arrived they opened the bar. There maybe a match report to follow.

Barmy Kev

Surbiton crusader2 09 August, 2020 14:14
TRJ turned out for Sunbury yesterday in their 35 run loss to Reigate Priory

SC2

tallliman 09 August, 2020 20:22
Quote:
Surbiton crusader2
TRJ turned out for Sunbury yesterday in their 35 run loss to Reigate Priory
SC2

3/36 from 8 and 14 runs.

Trainspotter 09 August, 2020 23:39
Enjoyable visit to Sunbury to see TRJ. The standard was good and it was a decent substitute for county stuff. Am off to Weybridge v Sunbury next week!

Hayling Panther 14 August, 2020 12:53
Went to see the Middle at Guildford yesterday. Our ladies v a south of the river team. Crowd of about 100, outdoor licensed refreshments, loos, deck chairs etc. Our competitive 180 was thwarted by the weather. Well done, Guildford CC

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net