Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: No County Cricket for me this year
Old Enfield Colt 31 July, 2020 15:17
Without spending too much more time on this debate we ought to also think about the unique relationship Middx have with MCC over the use of Lord's. In comparison with all other first class counties we have much less we can give back to members because so much cost & income is tied up with MCC. Any gesture made to members might, in turn, depend on whether our egg & bacon friends are prepared to make a similar gesture to us as a club ?

wembleylion 31 July, 2020 17:19
I thought the deal with MCC was we got the use of Lords in return for them keeping all the gate money and takings for T20 etc. So as there will be no such takings as we are not likely to play any matches there I imagine we won't have to pay them much?

PaulR_enfield 31 July, 2020 21:25
Having been a member since the early 80's, I like to think I'm as loyal to Middlesex as everyone else on here and, in principle, am probably willing to donate most, if not all of this year's subscription to the club should. as seems likely, we have no cricket to watch this season, but that might well change if we are not given some options to recognise this.

Whatever the club may claim, I'm sure that the primary reason for most people to join is to watch Middlesex play cricket and I would suggest that many of the other benefits only become apparent over time, despite us sometimes being made to feel second class citizens at home games.

I believe that just assuming members will be content to pay their subs for 2020 with no apparent return could end up costing the club more in non renewals next year than making some suggestions or have some consultation to recognise our loyalty this year.

adelaide 01 August, 2020 13:20
Paul

Yes, that's the point. The county has to balance the immediate loss of income in the short term through offering a refund or a discount on next year with the long term loss from hacked off members not renewing.

In the long term we are all dead, as they say, so if the threat to existence is immediate you have to look at the short term and hope the long term looks after itself. Hopefully the position is not that perilous.

As far as the MCC is concerned, it is not what we might have to pay to MCC that is the problem, surely, but what MCC might not pay to us, given that (for reasons totally outside our control) we have been unable to provide any cricket to watch at Lord's. Depends on the wording in the agreement, I should think. MCC ought also be thinking of whether saying "no cricket, no dosh" would imperil MCCC and thus the amount of meaningful cricket at Lord's, though perhaps they would be happy to host a Public Schools league instead!

Adelaide

Sussex Seaxe 01 August, 2020 13:28
Quote:
Old Enfield Colt
Without spending too much more time on this debate we ought to also think about the unique relationship Middx have with MCC over the use of Lord's. In comparison with all other first class counties we have much less we can give back to members because so much cost & income is tied up with MCC. Any gesture made to members might, in turn, depend on whether our egg & bacon friends are prepared to make a similar gesture to us as a club ?

I think I can safely say that the MCC will not be giving anything back to Middlesex! I am proud to be a member of both clubs and MCC are certainly not refunding anything to members. They have, as is well publicised, opened a tranche of life membership, in order to pay for the Compton and Edrich stands in the light of no income this year.

I think we have a good relationship between the clubs and love the fact that we play at Lord's; I have never understood this 'second class citizens' stuff. We have all the rights of MCC members at our games there apart from the library!

I am also one who has no problem with paying my membership in these extraordinary times (to both clubs). I am probably in a privileged position, being more or less retired and having a decent pension and I do appreciate that. The strength of feeling from some on here has surprised me a bit, but if this is a reality for some members, the club should probably be pragmatic and make some offer. Maybe simply a freeze in subscription for next year and the ability to bring in a guest, free of charge? I do hope and believe that most of our members are reasonable people and recognise that this problem is not something caused by Middlesex CCC.

Sussex Seaxe 01 August, 2020 13:38
Quote:
adelaide
Paul

I should think. MCC ought also be thinking of whether saying "no cricket, no dosh" would imperil MCCC and thus the amount of meaningful cricket at Lord's, though perhaps they would be happy to host a Public Schools league instead!

Adelaide
I suspect and hope, Adelaide, that your last comment is somewhat tongue in cheek! As I said in my previous post, I'm proud to be a member of both clubs and continually find myself challenging people on the myths surrounding MCC members. There are definitely many well-heeled, ex public school members, but there is also a cross section of society too. The one thing that those who attend have in common is a love of the game.

My dad worked in a factory all his adult life and loved becoming an MCC member; the friends he made there (having been a Middlesex member for years prior to reaching the top of the waiting list) were mostly similar men. He certainly wouldn't have been comfortable with 'toffs', but loved sitting in the pavilion. I certainly didn't go to public school either!

I hold no official position (thank the Lord) but have no doubt that MCC want to see as much quality cricket as possible at Lord's - the days of Clifton v Tonbridge are long gone!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net