Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Surrey v Middx, 1-4 August - spectators allowed!
Discussion started by Fozzie , 27 July, 2020 17:19
Surrey v Middx, 1-4 August - spectators allowed!
Fozzie 27 July, 2020 17:19
It's been announced that up to 2,5000 spectators will be admitted to the first two days of our Bob Willis Trophy match at Oval (also for the match at Edgbaston). This is an extension of the pilot scheme which started at the Oval yesterday, and which is presumably considered a success. Details from BBC Sport are here

There's nothing about this on the Middlesex website yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/07/2020 17:38 by BarmierKev.

Re: Surrey v Middx, 1-4 August - spectators allowed!
BarmierKev 27 July, 2020 17:37
Under normal circumstances it is unlikely to get more than 2500 for a County game at the Oval.

I suspect we will receive a limited allocation that will sell out in seconds. Good luck to anyone who tries.

Jonathan Winsky 27 July, 2020 20:04
When I saw an article on BBC’s cricket page with the title of “Crowds of up to 2,500 can watch opening Bob Willis Trophy matches”, I had my hopes up that the article would proceed to say that it was intended (a word I must use due to the fact that everyone may have to get used to the possibility that any easing of restrictions could get reversed if it is felt necessary) that 2,500 spectators could attend every match in every round at every ground in the Bob Willis Trophy. However, it turns out that the news isn’t quite as positive as that, although it is a start. At least spectators can attend the first two days of Surrey v Middlesex at The Oval, although it seems strange that no-one can attend the final two days, which I can only guess would be due to it being deemed financially unviable. Considering it sounds like the operation to admit 1,000 people to each day of this week’s friendly between the two sides was a great success, it would have been a backwards step to not admit anyone to a competitive fixture between the two sides.

My dad and I are keen to attend, although we will have to see whether Middlesex are allocated any tickets, and if so, then whether any tickets will be available by the time either of us are in a position to access the ticket portal.

Surrey have produced details of the coronavirus-enforced ground regulations here and here.

The fact that I see there as being a glimmer of hope that spectators may be allowed to attend our home matches in this competition makes it a disappointment that both of our home matches will be played at Radlett. Although plenty of Middlesex’s on-field and off-field staff seem to enjoy the relationship that exists with Radlett, neither my dad nor I are particularly keen on the ground due to its location. I would have thought that Lord’s would be better-placed than Radlett to stage matches under the coronavirus protocols, but perhaps the rebuilding of the Edrich and Compton stands work against Lord’s. Oh well, at least the ABU Brigade will be happy that we aren’t playing at Uxbridge!

Much like when we play Twenty20 cricket, I anticipate that our Bob Willis Trophy campaign will either get off to a good start and then be followed by getting ourselves into contention to qualify out of our group, or it will get off to bad start and be followed by our chief focus ending up being to avoid the wooden spoon.

Had there been a County Championship this season, I can’t help feeling that the fact that we have had three disappointing campaigns and have barely strengthened in the last 12 months would have made it the first campaign in around a decade when we would have approached it without a great deal in the way of internal or external expectation that we would do well, which would have given me cause to talk the team up rather than rein in expectation. I would like to think that the fact that we have a few youngsters hoping to seize their opportunity as well as more experienced players hoping to make up for the last three seasons would have meant that we could have surprised a few people with our performances. Hopefully we will do all that in the Bob Willis Trophy instead in order to build up some momentum towards our quest for promotion in 2021.

stockmos 28 July, 2020 13:19
I think they may well allow spectators in for days 3 and 4 as well. It just hasn't been arranged/announced yet. Particularly with day 4 they may not decide how to do it until the day before.

Surbiton crusader2 28 July, 2020 17:36
Middlesex member's should've received an email inviting them to apply for tickets for the first two days of the BWT Surrey versus Middlesex at the Kia oval starting on Saturday

SC2

Jonathan Winsky 28 July, 2020 20:25
It is great news that Middlesex members have been allocated 300 tickets for this match, and it is generous of Surrey to make it free of charge, especially as circumstances mean that many businesses can ill-afford to miss out on revenue. However, the speed with which tickets for the friendly were snapped-up makes me doubtful that they will be available much beyond the release time of 10:00am. I will be at work at this time, so I have asked my dad to try to book tickets for he and I.

I feared that something was wrong with Steven Finn when he didn’t play in the friendly at The Oval. However, clearly nothing is wrong with him (although the same can certainly not be said of the football team he and I support), as he today took 6-58 in Middlesex’s friendly v Northamptonshire at Wantage Road. Tom Helm is also playing, so has evidently been released from the squad working towards England’s ODIs v Ireland.

The Cricketer’s website has posted the rules of the Bob Willis Trophy.

Ccp101 29 July, 2020 19:21
I managed to get two tickets for this game this morning, I got a confirmation email and informed I would receive tickets on a separate email within 24hrs

Has anyone else not received the e tickets yet or is it just me?
Thanks

BeefyRoberts 29 July, 2020 19:38
Still waiting for e-mail.
I presume all seats need to be worked out for appropriate distancing, maybe tomorrow or Thurs?

Jonathan Winsky 29 July, 2020 19:56
I was pessimistic that my dad would both successfully navigate the process of ordering tickets and access the required area of the members’ hub before tickets sold out, as they now have. Thankfully, I need not have worried, as he has secured us tickets for Sunday.

He is in the same situation as Ccp101 and Beefy, although hopefully everything will get sorted in good time.

Apart from when I travelled a short walk from my house to get my hair cut a couple of weeks’ ago, this will be the first time in nearly five months (just a few days before lockdown began) that I will have left my house for non-work purposes. It will also be the first time in 2020 that I will have gone out anywhere with my dad, so it will be a special experience. Unless I have both the will and the government-given permission to go to Radlett, this will be the only time I get to watch Middlesex in the Bob Willis Trophy, although hopefully a high volume of spectators will be allowed to watch us play some Twenty20 matches at Lord’s. After all the hard work I have done for the good people of Tooting, I am glad to be able to watch a match between the county I support and the county which cricket supporters living in Tooting presumably support, with the venue being one which I travel close to on my commute.

In the friendly v Northamptonshire at Wantage Road, a lot of our players made starts, but no-one made more than Max Holden’s 59.

Chesham Steve 29 July, 2020 20:29
Very pleased to have a ticket for Saturday. Waiting for the ticket to arrive on e mail like everyone else.

Westrock 29 July, 2020 21:48
Well pleased to get a pair of tickets for Saturday but also still waiting for the actual e tickets

Surbiton crusader2 30 July, 2020 10:53
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
I was pessimistic that my dad would both successfully navigate the process of ordering tickets and access the required area of the members’ hub before tickets sold out, as they now have. Thankfully, I need not have worried, as he has secured us tickets for Sunday.
He is in the same situation as Ccp101 and Beefy, although hopefully everything will get sorted in good time.

Apart from when I travelled a short walk from my house to get my hair cut a couple of weeks’ ago, this will be the first time in nearly five months (just a few days before lockdown began) that I will have left my house for non-work purposes. It will also be the first time in 2020 that I will have gone out anywhere with my dad, so it will be a special experience. Unless I have both the will and the government-given permission to go to Radlett, this will be the only time I get to watch Middlesex in the Bob Willis Trophy, although hopefully a high volume of spectators will be allowed to watch us play some Twenty20 matches at Lord’s. After all the hard work I have done for the good people of Tooting, I am glad to be able to watch a match between the county I support and the county which cricket supporters living in Tooting presumably support, with the venue being one which I travel close to on
In the friendly v Northamptonshire at Wantage Road, a lot of our players made starts, but no-one made more than Max Holden’s 59.

So you work in St. George's Jonathan?

SC2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/07/2020 11:51 by Surbiton crusader2.

BeefyRoberts 30 July, 2020 11:11
Email regarding tickets has arrived.
Although, being at work wont open until home later!

Chesham Steve 30 July, 2020 12:36
I am assuming the Middlesex tickets are all in Block 20 or 19 as I'm in Block 20. See some of you there on Saturday. Must remember my hat and Sun cream, won't be able to sit in the shade.

tbl 30 July, 2020 15:23
I am also in Block 20. Looking forward to some real cricket at last

BeefyRoberts 30 July, 2020 17:21
Block 19 for Sunday, it does seem its 'The Middle end' so to speak

Westrock 30 July, 2020 18:02
Block 19 for the Saturday smiling smiley

BarmierKev 30 July, 2020 18:56
I’ve got my tickets for Saturday. Under normal circumstances would buy a drink for all MTWD contributors who I have met for the first time.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Jonathan Winsky 30 July, 2020 20:00
My dad and I will be sat in block 19 on Sunday.

In an article which suggests that this player has been registered as Middlesex’s overseas player, Thilan Walallawita has spoken to ECB Reporters Network. If he will indeed be considered as our overseas player, it is disappointing that his immigration status will have evidently still not been sorted, although at least it means that it sounds like he is now finally in contention to make his 1st XI debut.

If Walallawita proves correct in saying “The wicket we’re going to play on this Saturday is apparently spin friendly”, then hopefully this will be one match whereby my colleagues at St George’s Hospital and at other South London hospitals will not need to worry about the possibility of Middlesex supporters getting the familiar feeling of being twitchy about our over rate due to most of our overs bowled having been from seamers. The chances of there being lots of overs of spin are further increased thanks to the second new ball not becoming available until after 90 overs rather than 80 overs. The last time I attended a first-class match at The Oval was the Surrey v Middlesex County Championship match in 2012, when I remember Surrey’s over rate reached something like +20 thanks to the overs of Murali Kartik and Gareth Batty. I imagine that our over rate reached similar heights when Ollie Rayner and Ravi Patel got through plenty of overs - and wickets in the case of Rayner - in the 2013 match. However, the less said about our over rate in the 2017 match, the better!

BeefyRoberts 31 July, 2020 12:46
Attending this weekend has been cancelled by the powers that be.
Obviously nothing to do with our club, but not good news at all.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net