Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Surrey v Middx, 1-4 August - spectators allowed!
Surbiton crusader2 31 July, 2020 12:52
That's true and that's the Tory government for you. A bunch of clueless @#$%&!!!

SC2

BeefyRoberts 31 July, 2020 13:03
I dont feel this is the area to start political postings please

London Leprechaun 31 July, 2020 13:24
Whatever we feel about the decision not to allow spectators at the match tomorrow, please take any political discussion to the anything goes thread and remember to be polite. Thank you all.

Chesham Steve 31 July, 2020 13:41
Need to find some live cricket somewhere else tomorrow. Any suggestions.

BarmierKev 31 July, 2020 13:43
I’m more than peed off about this , despite my fears of tube journey.

Steve see you at Stanmore vHarrow tomorrow?

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

BeefyRoberts 31 July, 2020 13:45
Middlesex County League fixtures are in the 2020 members book, if that's any hrlp

tbl 31 July, 2020 18:19
Just received the email. Absolutely gutted!

Hopefully there will be other opportunities later in the season

BarmierKev 31 July, 2020 18:37

PaulR_enfield 31 July, 2020 19:02
Absolutely right Kev, but unfortunately we're an easy target for the government to show they are being proactive this time around despite the obvious inconsistency

Jonathan Winsky 31 July, 2020 20:10
It is disappointing that many Middlesex supporters will now miss what was likely to have been their only opportunity to attend first-class cricket in 2020, and that they may now not attend any Middlesex matches depending on whether - and to what ground capacity - they are allowed and willing to attend our Twenty20 matches. Lorraine Poole has said that she doesn’t envisage supporters being allowed into our BWT matches at Radlett.

One positive way of looking at today’s news is that the government measures will hopefully prevent cases of coronavirus getting out of control to an extent that adds several months to the time when spectators may next have hope of attending sport (although admittedly that is little consolation to those who don’t ordinarily attend sport during the winter). Another positive way of looking at today’s news is that there is no evidence that it has been deemed that it will never be safe to attend sport. What would have been more disheartening would have been had spectators been allowed to attend, only for the operation to admit spectators been a failure. Although I don’t think they have said this, I imagine that Surrey would have had hopes of being allowed to admit spectators to their two other Bob Willis Trophy matches at The Oval beginning on 22nd August and 6th September respectively, and I see little reason why today’s news should threaten their hopes of that happening or the hopes of spectators being permitted to T20 Blast matches around the country. Last week, it was proven that it is possible for grounds to admit spectators, so at least the first hurdle has been cleared.

I would have felt physically comfortable with attending on Sunday, but it would be dishonest of me to say that I would have felt morally comfortable, because as much as I enjoy attending sport, I am more interested in working towards the goal of eliminating coronavirus in order for life to unquestionably be close to normality. The risk of attempting to co-exist with the threat of coronavirus is that the situation can change instantly. Despite my view, I am reluctant to decline any opportunities I can to attend sport. I cannot deny that I am as guilty as anyone of acting in my own self-interest.

Middlesex have named a 14-man squad for this match consisting of Stevie Eskinazi (captain), Martin Andersson, Miguel Cummins, Nick Gubbins, James Harris, Tom Helm, Max Holden, Tom Lace, Tim Murtagh, Sam Robson, Toby Roland-Jones, John Simpson (+), Nathan Sowter and Thilan Walallawita. I imagine that Steven Finn and Ethan Bamber will come into contention next week, as our fast bowlers are likely to get rotated throughout this competition.

Surrey have already named what it is set to be their XI (unless circumstances change at the last-minute) of Rikki Clarke (captain), Scott Borthwick, Jordan Clark, Matt Dunn, Will Jacks, Daniel Moriarty, Ryan Patel, Jamie Smith, Mark Stoneman, James Taylor and Amar Virdi. They are heavily-depleted by England call-ups, injuries, unfitness and it seems quarantining, although I am sure they will give us a tough match.

Stuart Law has spoken to our YouTube page about this match:

Middlesex have produced a video about this being our first competitive match after the tough months that everyone has had:

Old Enfield Colt 01 August, 2020 09:54
Quote:
BarmierKev
I’m more than peed off about this , despite my fears of tube journey.
Steve see you at Stanmore vHarrow tomorrow?

According to Hampstead CC twitter feed, Steve Finn debuts for them @ Brondesbury later this morning. That should wake up any sleepy home batsman wanting an easy start to the season [:wor kid:]

Jonathan Winsky 01 August, 2020 10:50
It is great to see Martin Andersson and Thilan Walallawita named in Middlesex’s line-up for this match. Due to injury, 2019 saw Andersson unable to bowl and thus unable to prove his credentials as an all-rounder, but hopefully he will be able to do some bowling this season. In addition to two spinners, we have named only three fast bowlers, so Andersson might bowl if we need more overs of seam.

As I anticipated I would be, I feel less excited about this match compared to had I been permitted to attend any of this match or any of this competition. However, as I have previously said, I am certain that I would see this competition in a different light if Middlesex end up doing well! Unless I am away from my computer, I will keep a close eye on the score and on MTWD, but I am not sure how much time I will spend watching or listening to coverage.

Despite reports that he had moved from Somerset to Surrey initially on loan and then permanently, Surrey’s line-up does not include Jamie Overton. If anything, I have long felt that it should be his twin brother Craig who it would be more appropriate for Surrey to sign, as I believe that the twins are often referred to as Joverton and Coverton on Grockles, and the entrance I use to enter St George’s Hospital is on Coverton Road.

Jonathan Winsky 01 August, 2020 10:57
One thing I forgot to add is that Middlesex have won the toss - which was due to return had there been a County Championship this season, and which I am unsurprised to see is an element of the Bob Willis Trophy - and will bat.

Another thing I forgot to add is that the match centre on Middlesex’s official website lists the scorers as PJ Makepeace & Debbie Beesley, so I imagine that Don Shelley is shielding.

Surbiton crusader2 01 August, 2020 11:06
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
One thing I forgot to add is that Middlesex have won the toss - which was due to return had there been a County Championship this season, and which I am unsurprised to see is an element of the Bob Willis Trophy - and will bat.
Another thing I forgot to add is that the match centre on Middlesex’s official website lists the scorers as PJ Makepeace & Debbie Beesley, so I imagine that Don Shelley is shielding.

Makepeace and Beesley were Surrey's first and second eleven scorers from last season Jonathan...

SC2

Jonathan Winsky 01 August, 2020 12:11
I typed Debbie Beesley into Google and saw that she is Surrey’s 2nd XI score, while I had made the assumption that Phil Makepeace does the role for their 1st XI when not appearing on Countdown (as a Google search of his name shows he has done).

It is interesting that Sam Robson’s opening partner was not Nick Gubbins or Stevie Eskinazi, but was Max Holden considering Dave Houghton said in 2018 that Holden is better-suited to batting at 6 and not against the first new ball. I suppose that the coaches now at the club are returning to the idea of Holden being an opener. Anyway, even if he batted at 6, he would probably still find himself having to face the first new ball due to our top order's tendency to get out early!

Thankfully, Arsenal supporter Holden and Chelsea supporter Gubbins have ensured that the ball should have aged by the time our number 6 batsman for this match (who will be John Simpson if the batting order shown on Cricinfo is correct) comes to the crease.

Jonathan Winsky 01 August, 2020 18:03
The decision for Max Holden to open and not to bat around 6, and for Nick Gubbins to bat at 3 and not open reaped dividends. I am sure that the rest of Middlesex’s batting order were thankful at not having to come in with the first new ball still living up to its title of ‘new’!

Well done to Gubbo on ending the day on 150 not out. I am sure that he would like to now watch the rest of the FA Cup final, but he might have to do some media duties thanks to his innings!

Teams are not allowed to bat longer than 120 overs in the first innings of matches in this competition, but we are one of the few teams of those to have batted first in today’s opening round of matches to have a chance of still being batting at that stage.

Just as I was getting excited about this competition, I have to remind myself that there will be no MTWD report from someone (or from more than one person) to have attended today’s play or any other day’s play in this competition to confirm or deny any of my perceptions about the day’s play.

[edited to correct spelling]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2020 20:03 by Jonathan Winsky.

BarmierKev 01 August, 2020 19:57
"Just as I was getting excited about this competition, I have to remind myself that there will be no MTWD report from someone (or from more than one person) to have attended today’s play or any other day’s play in this competition to confirm or deny any of my perceptions about the day’s play".

Due to the contradictions in guidelines no Middlesex fans present to applaud Gubbo's 150 not out and no match report. This has tarnished my perception on a good day for us.

I was at Stanmore CC v Harrow CC today and will provide my perception on my "new normal" of watching cricket.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Jonathan Winsky 01 August, 2020 20:00
As I expected he would, Nick Gubbins has spoken to Middlesex’s YouTube page about today:

Jonathan Winsky 02 August, 2020 09:47
It will be interesting to find out how Middlesex try to bat this morning, as there are 19 overs left in which to earn batting points and 29 overs left before our innings would be forced to close were we still to be batting at that stage.

With regards to the first point, it would make for an incredible collapse were we to fail to score another 36 for a third batting point, although 86 or 136 more runs in 19 overs would require an acceleration.

With regards to the second point, I would have thought the period up to the 120th over of first innings of matches in this competition will be a bit like the death overs of limited-overs matches, with the batting team trying to score as many runs as possible in the closing overs.

Three problems for Middlesex, though, are that we will start today against a new ball, we haven’t got many quick-scorers to come (meaning that if we are still batting towards the 120th over, then the players at the crease are unlikely to be big-hitting batsmen), and Surrey’s seam bowlers ought to have lots of energy in the bank due to them being rotated yesterday (which contrasts with how some over teams managed their seamers yesterday).

freddie tittlemouse 02 August, 2020 15:55
Many people working in the health service and other key jobs have lost their lives to this virus which remains a dangerous threat to us all.
The attitudes of those on here who are getting all anguished because they can't watch a bit of cricket is rather pathetic. Try developing a sense of proportion.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net