Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Surrey v Middx, 1-4 August - spectators allowed!
Jonathan Winsky 02 August, 2020 17:41
he level of interest amongst posters in this match during the last week appears to correlate with whether they believed they would be attending any of this match, which is unsurprising.

I concede that attending sport at a time like this is inconsistent with the goal of eliminating coronavirus, but I suppose that people like to have something to look forward to. The other way of looking at the fact that so many people have died of coronavirus and that it is feared that many more will die is that it would be nice to attend sport with family and friends while there is still an opportunity in case things suddenly happen with our and/or their health. I fear that the prevention of people being able to attend sport means that many will have already have attended their last match without realising it. Every time I make my first visit of the season to a first-class match at Lord’s, I - and I think many other regular visitors - have a fear that some of the familiar faces will no longer be there, which is a fear that will be especially strong whenever such a match is next played there in front of spectators.

I think that one of the things that annoys those who cannot attend sport (especially at grounds where social distancing is achievable) is when they learn of people congregating on beaches and other places without observing social distancing.

I would have felt safe attending this match, as I make the journey from Wembley past Vauxhall every working day, and I even had to recreate the walk from Vauxhall station to The Oval a few weeks ago due to a track fault on the Victoria line forcing me to walk from Pimlico station to Oval station.

Although sport has more often than not been able to continue regardless of the things going on in the wider world, I have long had a fear that it could be forced to stop due to reasons such of war, terrorism, civil unrest, national mourning or even pandemic, as there is precedent for all of those factors (although not necessarily a precedent for them preventing sport from being played). However, I had never envisaged a time when it was deemed safe for sport to be played but not to be attended, although I have to concede that it is far easier to introduce protocols for playing sport at a time like this than it is for attending sport.

I suppose that the morning session didn’t work out too badly for Middlesex, as although I don’t think we felt able to accelerate quickly enough to achieve a fourth batting point (we were 344-5 after 110 overs) or to have the right players at the crease to go for some quick runs as the 120th over neared (we declared after 111.3 overs), at least we dismissed Ryan Patel before the interval to justify the decision to get some overs at them before lunch.

Since then, things haven’t gone quite as well considering Surrey are making inroads into our score, although at least Thilan Walallawita has taken his maiden professional wicket.

dingy bags 02 August, 2020 19:05
One bit of information: for BWT, the home side in each case will provide both the scorers. The idea is to cut down on travel.

BarmierKev 02 August, 2020 19:07
Quote:
freddie tittlemouse
Many people working in the health service and other key jobs have lost their lives to this virus which remains a dangerous threat to us all.
The attitudes of those on here who are getting all anguished because they can't watch a bit of cricket is rather pathetic. Try developing a sense of proportion.

As a carer for a vulnerable person I like to feel I have a sense of proportion. 40,000 free for all on a crowded beach compared with 3,000 controlled in 30,000 stadium is my idea of being disproportionate.

I make no apology for my angst.

From a distance , I wish Middlesex well in this fixture but remain disappointed about the circumstances of not allowing spectators.

Jonathan Winsky 02 August, 2020 19:50
Thilan Walallawita has spoken to Middlesex’s YouTube page about today:

adelaide 02 August, 2020 21:15
There is a difference between being forced to accept that you cannot do much about 40,000 people ignoring social distancing and explicitly permitting a public event involving 40,000 people. Whatever danger there is (to all of us) from Covid, it is cumulative. I just don't get the attitude of some on this that because X and Y are happening it is fine to do Z.

A couple of thousand spread out around The Oval is a far cry from an event with 40,000 present and I suspect that the late change of heart was more to do with putting up a general warning flag than real dangers. If (along with similar U-turns) it persuades some to behave more sensibly, I think it's worth it.

I'm reminded of Keynes (or whoever it was) who said something like "When the evidence changes I change my mind. What do you do?" I'm no admirer of this government but I'm happier with a government adjusting course rather than one carrying straight on into the abyss.

Adelaide

Jonathan Winsky 03 August, 2020 19:37
When Surrey closed yesterday on 189-3, just nine wickets had fallen in two uninterrupted days of play, so I didn’t hold much hope at that point of a Middlesex win, and I doubt that neutrals held much hope at that point of the match yielding a result. My hopes of a Middlesex win were in an even more parlous state when Surrey took their score to 254-3, and within 93 of Middlesex’s first innings score. As I was at work at the time, I didn’t have enough headspace to think about bowling points, but if this issue was on my mind, I doubt that I would have had much hope of us achieving all three points considering we had just 25 overs to take six more wickets. However, Martin Andersson dismissed Scott Borthwick with the very first ball he had bowled in professional cricket since September 2018, and Tim Murtagh inspired a collapse to finish with 5-47 to give us a first innings lead of 65.

It is great that in the 54 overs in which we batted today, we lost only three wickets and scored 184 runs. It is also great that Max Holden, Nick Gubbins and Andersson have all scored runs in this match after the difficulties they had in 2019.

I would have thought that we will try to win the match instead of being satisfied with a draw, even though trying to win obviously runs the risk of defeat.

On The Cricketer’s website, Sam Dalling has written about Murtagh’s bowling performance and career.

Jonathan Winsky 03 August, 2020 19:49
Tim Murtagh has spoken to Middlesex’s YouTube page about today:

adelaide 04 August, 2020 10:17
According to commentary, Finn, Roland-Jones and Helm all have niggles which is why none of them are playing.

Makes me wonder whether Middlesex borrowed the Surrey fitness staff!

Primrose Hillbilly 04 August, 2020 13:06
HAPPY DAYS!!!!

Back watching cricket in a fashion from the laptop, and we have Surrey 20 - 3 at lunchtime.

Gubbo making more runs, a generally positive approach.

The sandwich and apple will taste so much better !!

middlefan 04 August, 2020 17:38
What a fantastic victory!

Rocks&Boulders 04 August, 2020 17:45
Yaaaaaaas.
Always nice to get a win over the mexicans.

adelaide 04 August, 2020 17:54
Robson top of the bowling averages.

Adelaide

tallliman 04 August, 2020 18:59
Inspired change to turn to Robson. Surrey let themselves be strokeless for so long that it really put the pressure on them and that along with some good bowling got the win.

Credit to Gubbo too, 250+ runs, 2nd only in the country to Ben Stokes but from 2 fewer games.

Jonathan Winsky 04 August, 2020 19:45
I am delighted about Middlesex’s Bob Willis Trophy campaign getting off to a winning start, something which was especially important considering that eight of the nine matches in this round yielded a result (were it not for the the work of Adam Rossington and Charlie Thurston amongst other players in the Warwickshire v Northamptonshire match, all nine matches may have yielded a result). As I think I am right in saying that the two finalists will be the two teams with the most points as opposed to the two group winners with the most points, it is worth keeping an eye on what happens in the other groups. Our tally of 22 points from this match puts us level with Leicestershire and Worcestershire as the team with the most points so far.

It seems that our ability to bowl out Surrey today was helped by taking three wickets in 10.5 overs before lunch (if my memory of following the day’s play serves me right), and by Sam Robson ending the partnership between Rikki Clark and Jordan Clarke Rikki Clarke and Jordan Clark which had lasted 23.1 overs to spark a collapse in which their final five wickets fell in the space of 7.1 overs. As Surrey were six wickets down when I left work, I had little expectation that I would return home to find that we had won, but we indeed won!

It is also great that Miguel Cummins took three wickets. Although I felt that our batting department was in greater need of strengthening than our bowling department, I believed that he could end up playing an important role for us, as our management like what he offers, and they often feel the need to rotate our fast bowlers.

We will have to see whether Steven Finn, Toby Roland-Jones and Tom Helm’s niggles have healed for our next match v Hampshire at Radlett beginning on Saturday, and whether we will enter the match with one, two or no spinners.

Surrey chief executive Richard Gould has spoken about his disappointment about being unable to admit spectators to this match.

Stevie Eskinazi has spoken to our YouTube page about this victory:

BarmierKev 04 August, 2020 21:20
I'm obviously happy with Middlesex win , with a sense of perspective. I'm planning on a match report of my view of the closing stages of our win and my tactical comment that was a game changer.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Seaxe_man1 05 August, 2020 18:30
Robson a Mike Brearley moment which wouldn't have happened under the previous regime. A spinners desert. Good to see two were employed with Sowts picking up the last. As Stuart Law opined. You need to build a platform first up. This we did thanks to Gubbo. Last year batting points were like pearls.

Seaxe_man1 05 August, 2020 18:32
Topped off with a nice Mexican collapse. Five wickets for six runs.

Jonathan Winsky 05 August, 2020 19:24
Brondesbury captain James Overy has spoken of how ‘awesome’ is was to face Steven Finn during their match on Saturday against Finn’s Hampstead, and how beneficial it was for the players to chat with him before and after the match.

I would like to say that Finn made a great contribution in being able to secure a 40-run win for Hampstead which came in spite of them posting just 126, but he was out first ball and recorded 1-31 from seven overs.

adelaide 05 August, 2020 21:59
SM

Putting my tongue firmly in my cheek, surely it was awful captaincy to ignore the collapse causers (Andersson in the first innings and Robson in the second) for so long.

Tactical genius or lucky general? Who knows?

The best spinner in the match was Moriarty on debut. He certainly outbowled Virdi and will be immortalised on social media for being the bowler for the Gubbins dismissal.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 06 August, 2020 09:16
At the moment Adelaide I'll go with lucky general. As you say, Moriarty, some name, was best though Mx since Gatting and Shah ain't known to be great versus quality spin. Whatever, always excellent to win there. Would normally have spent a happy hour or two in the pub at the Vauxhall end afterwards.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net