Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Other BWT matches
Discussion started by adelaide , 01 August, 2020 21:28
Other BWT matches
adelaide 01 August, 2020 21:28
Tom Barber is playing for Notts. Perhaps he has discovered his radar. It will be interesting to see how he goes tomorrow.

Adelaide

Re: Other BWT matches
Jonathan Winsky 02 August, 2020 19:46
There was an incident in the Lancashire v Leicestershire match in which Leicestershire’s Dieter Klein unsuccessfully attempted to run out Danny Lamb at close range, which prompted Lancashire to be awarded five penalty runs. Klein received much criticism for his actions.

The match was supposed to be a home match for Leicestershire, but restrictions about activity taking place in Leicester and the club’s inability to find an alternative venue means that I suppose it isn’t a surprise that New Road had to step in to be the venue for this match. However, what is a surprise is that Lancashire appear to have become the home team for this match.

Jonathan Winsky 06 September, 2020 17:58
When sport resumed after Covid-19 restrictions began to ease, one of the worries was that the integrity of a match or competition could be compromised if a player was to test positive. I don’t think it had happened in English sport until that worry become a reality today, as the Gloucestershire v Northamptonshire match had to be abandoned a session into day one after a Northants player who was not in the squad tested positive. Despite this player not being in the squad, they had been in contact with members of the Northants squad within 48 hours of developing symptoms.

As there was little riding on the match, the decision to abandon the match must have been easier than had it been an important match, in which case I am not sure what would have happened.

I imagine that many people who saw that the match had been abandoned with Gloucestershire on 66-6 must have come to the incorrect conclusion that it was due to an unfit or unsafe pitch.

[edited to correct spelling]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2020 19:13 by Jonathan Winsky.

chunkyinargyll 27 September, 2020 08:40
An absolute classic post on another forum this morning.

I'd rather lose trying to win than draw, so anything they do is fine by me

Kind of reminds me of the attitude of Middlesex and Yorkshire in the 2016 championship decider, but apparently on that occasion the attitude that a draw was no use to either side was considered unacceptable and cheating.

Bobstan 27 September, 2020 09:09
As you know, Chunky, this was written by a Somerset supporter in relation only to the ridiculous rule in the Bob Willis Final whereby if the match is drawn the "winner" is the team that had first innings lead. It's relationship to the 2016 situation is nil.

chunkyinargyll 27 September, 2020 09:12
What's that noise I can hear?

Oh- It's the sound of goalposts being moved.

(Sm126)

adelaide 27 September, 2020 12:20
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
What's that noise I can hear?
Oh- It's the sound of goalposts being moved.

(Sm126)

Nice trolling, Chunky, but no third team involved this time.

I think there may have been more of a touch of not wanting the title to go to Taunton given the, ahem, unusual nature of their pitches in the last few weeks of the season, in which case losing was actually better than drawing! Yes, I know Somerset had just won well at Headingley but it was perceptions that counted.

If the match at Taunton had been in the balance halfway through the final afternoon, discussions at Lord's might have been quite different. Somerset won it too quickly, but then nearly everything that happened in those four days had a counterintuitive impact on the outcome.

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll 27 September, 2020 12:36
I'm quite certain that under the same circumstances Somerset would have done exactly the same thing.

To be fair, I think most (maybe even all) their players admitted that.

Supporters less so.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net