Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Ryan Higgins
Discussion started by Al the panther , 11 August, 2020 19:13
Ryan Higgins
Al the panther 11 August, 2020 19:13
I still cannot understand why we let Ryan Higgins go. 11 wkts in the match against Warwicks + a half-century. What a crazy decision!

Re: Ryan Higgins
freddie tittlemouse 11 August, 2020 19:40
Add Podmore 7 for 113 to the mix. I know we've been over this ground several times before but it really makes me grind my remaining teeth and tear my remaining hair out. Our club has been badly let down by the big cheeses.

Bring back the Crusaders 11 August, 2020 23:10
Gus has a lot to answer for!

Seaxe_man1 12 August, 2020 16:23
You have to look at the management judgement or lack of. He felt coaches had no faith in him so although offered a contract rejected it as he didn't expect to play. This was compounded by the decision to retain a 37 year old for a further year. Podmore another guy left quietly and has showed first division credentials. Higgins won the game yesterday with 7 for 42 a CB v Warwick.

Al the panther 12 August, 2020 17:26
If it's true the coaches had no faith in him they must have been stupid. Any fool could see he was a very promising all-rounder.

Seaxe_man1 12 August, 2020 17:40
My thoughts exactly panther like. I was at Cheltenham when chasing I think 183 for victory.. we were 118 for 8 when Higgo came in and made 60 no to draw scores level but Sowter was out last ball. I would imagine the powers that were then in charge wrote him off then as white ball. White ball has never been of interest to the Mx hierarchy. That attitude has proved costly on more than one occasion. T20 game btw.

Al the panther 12 August, 2020 17:53
I remember that game:: I was listening to it online. We seem to be taking white-ball more seriously over the last couple of years. Last year was a big improvement. Signing Vettori was a disaster but Mascarenhas definitely made a difference.

dnb 13 August, 2020 02:26
Here is a short extract from the Times review of recent matches about Ryan Higgins:

“ Hurricane Higgins
Ryan Higgins is perhaps the leading all-rounder in county cricket. Last year he scored 958 runs at 59.87 and took 50 wickets at 23.64. The 25-year-old is up and running again, taking career-best innings figures of seven for 42 (including the wickets of Rob Yates, Hain and Ian Bell in his second over) and career-best match figures of 11 for 96 in Gloucestershire’s win over Warwickshire, along with a second-innings 51 from No 5.“

I struggle to think of a bigger blunder in terms of player retention in recent years in county cricket.

Al the panther 13 August, 2020 04:29
I couldn't agree more.

Seaxe_man1 13 August, 2020 08:14
Nor me. There are apologists around alleging that he demanded to bat in top five etc too big for his boots. This to cover their backs. Similar remarks were aimed at another departure. Thinks he's better than he is. The Mx Academy doing a fair job for their opposition.

Jeff Coleman 13 August, 2020 09:48
Godleman
Steele
Thurston
Malan
Eckersley
Higgins
Rossington
Scott
Davey
Smith
Podmore

A selection from players who played in the latest round of the BWT taking 28 wickets between them. Three captained their county and all bar Smith grew up in our age group and 2's cricket. Still in reserve: Berg, Fuller, Wright, Barber, Poynter and any I might have missed.

Jeff Coleman 13 August, 2020 12:22
The one I couldn't mention before is Tom Lace

Al the panther 13 August, 2020 12:33
I have just seen the news about Tom Lace. What on earth is going on? Are we trying to construct a Glos team entirely made up of ex Middx players?! Another incredible decision to let him go. Maybe the post-Covid financial situation had a bearing on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/08/2020 12:40 by Al the panther.

Fozzie 13 August, 2020 12:36
Quote:
Al the panther
But Tom Lace is still with Middx.

Afraid not. See my post from earlier and the club website.

Al the panther 13 August, 2020 12:42
My apologies. I have just seen the news.

Al the panther 13 August, 2020 13:04
BREAKING NEWS!! Gloucestershire have changed their name to Middlesex Old Boys.

Seaxe_man1 13 August, 2020 14:24
As with Rossington, Podmore. Lace was loaned out so short of England DNA I reckon. So off you go son. His release clause suggests he knew that. Mx now shambolic and looking a joke. Where are the back up batsmen?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/08/2020 14:28 by Seaxe_man1.

VincentVanDerVictory 16 August, 2020 19:00
Al the Panther.. had a wry smile at your Middlesex Old Boys post

Yes I believe finances pre and post Covid also have quite a lot to do with Fraser and Co seemingly content upon letting more of our fine young players go to other countries principally Gloucestershire

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net