Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Kent v Middlesex, 15-18 August
Discussion started by Jonathan Winsky , 11 August, 2020 22:59
Kent v Middlesex, 15-18 August
Jonathan Winsky 11 August, 2020 22:59
I would be surprised if Middlesex’s line-up for this match is identical to that which played v Hampshire at Radlett, as we may bring in any combination of Toby Roland-Jones, Steven Finn, Miguel Cummins or Ethan Bamber, and we may give Tom Lace a game. Tim Murtagh and James Harris have played both of our Bob Willis Trophy matches so far, so they may be deemed in need of a rest. It would be a big blow if Murtagh doesn’t play, as his tally of 14 wickets currently puts him joint-second in the list of highest wicket-takers. We will also have to see whether or not we feel we need both of Nathan Sowter and Thilan Walallawita, or whether we will play an extra seamer.

I am sure that Kent would like to enter this match with a line-up showing little or no change from their most recent match, an innings and 25 run win v Sussex at Canterbury, and that they would in particular like to have the services of Jordan Cox, Jack Leaning (they scored 238* and 220* respectively in a second wicket partnership of 423*), Harry Podmore (seven wickets in the match) and Darren Stevens (5-50 in the second innings). However, they will be unable to select Cox, as he will have to enter a period of self-isolation and return a negative coronavirus test after posing for a photograph after leaving the ground yesterday evening.

The way that professional sportspeople are strongly discouraged from making contact with the general public (as evidenced by advice, orders and - in cases of breaches - punishments given to Cox, Jofra Archer, footballers playing European competition and footballers playing in Scottish competition) makes me wonder how counties can have much hope of being allowed to admit spectators for the T20 Blast considering this would increase the chances of players making contact with the general public, although I suppose that the money brought in by spectators would be seen to compensate for this risk.

Had Cox been able to play, then this match would have seen three of the top five in the list of highest run-scorers play, as Nick Gubbins is second, Cox is fourth and Leaning is fifth.

Middlesex’s campaign appeared to be going well after we beat Surrey at The Oval, but the way this competition is structured means that we could do with getting back to winning ways after our defeat v Hampshire.

Canterbury will be a familiar ground to us, as the BBC reports of each day of our match v Hampshire seems to think that the match took place there and not at Radlett.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 21/08/2020 20:43 by BarmierKev.

Re: Kent v Middlesex, 15-18 August
Fozzie 12 August, 2020 09:14
Likely to be badly hit by the weather if the forecasts are correct.

Seaxe_man1 13 August, 2020 13:34
Tom Lace joins Gloucestershire.

Jonathan Winsky 13 August, 2020 20:41
The Evening Standard says that Joe Denly is set to play in this match, so I imagine that will soften any blow that Kent may have felt about being forced to temporarily banish Jordan Cox from their environment.

I have no idea how MTWD would react if ex-Middlesex players Denly and/or Harry Podmore have big performances in this match!

chunkyinargyll 14 August, 2020 14:34
Tom Lace Stuart Law has named a 14 man squad-

Eskinazi(c), Andersson, Bamber, Cummins, Finn, Gubbins, Harris, Holden, Robson, Roland-Jones, Simpson (wk), Sowter, Walallawita, White.

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Fozzie 14 August, 2020 14:35
Middlesex name a 14 man squad for the match v Kent. Tim Murtagh and Tom Helm are both rested, while Steve Finn and Ethan Bamber come in. The only other change is Robbie White for the departed Lace.

This does reflect the lack of balance in our squad: five seamers plus all-rounder Andersson in the 14, while despite Stuart Law rueing the poor batting performance that cost us the match against Hampshire the only batting change is enforced - and White, one assumes, is unlikely to start. And hopefully a couple of the seamers will step up to replace Murtagh!

Jonathan Winsky 14 August, 2020 20:07
It would have been great had I been proven incorrect in anticipating that Tim Murtagh may have to miss this match. Then again, if he played, it would have made it highly doubtful that he would have played next week v Sussex at Radlett.

Although I foresaw Middlesex’s management not being happy about our fast bowlers playing too many successive matches, I feel surprised about Tom Helm not being in the squad considering his appearance v Hampshire at Radlett came after not playing v Surrey at The Oval. Considering Murtagh and Helm are left out, it would deviate from that pattern were James Harris to play for a third match running, although if we leave Harris out, then that would mean that we would have changed all three fast bowlers who played v Hampshire. However, making three changes to our bowling attack would still give us what looks like a strong attack, as we would have three of Miguel Cummins - who bowled well v Surrey at The Oval and who I would be surprised to see left out tomorrow - Ethan Bamber, Toby Roland-Jones and Steven Finn.

If only I could write a sizeable paragraph about having strength in depth in our batting department! About the only positive of a situation whereby there is little experience in our batting department amongst those yet to play for us this season is that the batsmen currently in our side will have little cause to feel under pressure that they will lose their place in the side if they have a couple of poor matches. Some sportspeople perform better if there is another player on the sidelines capable of taking their place, but there are plenty of sportspeople who feel inhibited if they are uncertain of their place in the side, which is often the case with batsmen in cricket.

Kent have named a 16-man squad for this match consisting of Sam Billings (captain), Daniel Bell-Drummond, Joe Denly, Nathan Gilchrist, Tim Groenewald, Calum Haggett, Fred Klaassen, Jack Leaning, Matt Milnes, Marcus O’Riordan, Harry Podmore, Hamidullah Qadri, Ollie Robinson, Darren Stevens, Grant Stewart and Ivan Thomas.

Stuart Law has spoken to our YouTube page ahead of this match:

freddie tittlemouse 14 August, 2020 22:40
It's called a sinecure I believe.

adelaide 14 August, 2020 23:42
The other possibility is that we play one spinner and four seamers, maybe with TRJ replacing Harris as the one who is supposed to be able to bat. Can't see them risking playing one fewer bowler, though frequent weather interruptions might make that less of a risk. On bowling alone Walallawita would be my pick as the sole spinner but judging from his first ball swipe against Hampshire on the first day that would weaken the tail even further. Depends on the pitch, of course.

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll 15 August, 2020 08:34
Stuart Law looks visibly older than the last time I saw him.

A combination of lockdown, losing a bit of weight, and being unable to locate the Grecian 2000.

Oh, and the joys of managing Middlesex probably has a bit to do with it as well.

chunkyinargyll 15 August, 2020 12:02
Major surprise-

White in and Gubbins missing.

i don't want Gubbo injured, but any other reason for his omission would be worrying.

Edit to add- and Jack Davies making his debut, just as a batsman, as Simpson is also in the team.

So we field 3 keepers.

Does this mean we've already given up hope of making the final and are 'experimenting'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/08/2020 12:06 by chunkyinargyll.

freddie tittlemouse 15 August, 2020 12:03
If we don't play Harris our tail is as long as a ship's rat.

freddie tittlemouse 15 August, 2020 12:04
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Major surprise-
White in and Gubbins missing.

i don't want Gubbo injured, but any other reason for his omission would be worrying.
Better have a look at his contract!

dingy bags 15 August, 2020 12:08
Gubbins may have had contact with someone with covid. In isolation as a precaution.

adelaide 15 August, 2020 12:25
Can't complain about no chance for youngsters in this selection. Tom Lace would undoubtedly have got a place, with one to spare!

Gone for four bowlers, I see. If Sam Robson bowls he might prejudice his position at the top of the bowling averages.

Adelaide

Jonathan Winsky 15 August, 2020 12:30
Middlesex’s line-up will present plenty of cause for debate!

As Tim Murtagh’s absence means that we will be without the player who entered this round of matches joint-second in the list of highest wicket-takers in the Bob Willis Trophy, it is a blow that we will also without the competition's second highest run-scorer in Nick Gubbins for similar reasons to why Kent cannot select another high-scorer in Jordan Cox.

Perhaps it was destined that after Tom Lace appeared to get a bit unjustifiably impatient about the fact that an opportunity had not come up for him to play for us this season, two vacancies in our batting department suddenly came up due to Gubbins being unavailable and us choosing to play an extra batsman at the expense of one of two spinners!

Congratulations to Robbie White on making a return to our first-team and to Jack Davies on making his professional debut.

As Thilan Walallawita has impressed during his two appearances this season, I am not surprised that it is he rather than Nathan Sowter who retains his place after our decision to only select one spinner.

It is also interesting that neither of Steven Finn or vice-captain Toby Roland-Jones can get into our side. However, they will have some Twenty20 cricket to look forward to if our line-up for many matches in the T20 Blast is similar to what it was in 2019. At least it means that Miguel Cummins returns to the side and Ethan Bamber makes his first appearance of the season.

At least Harry Podmore will not haunt us in this match.

chunkyinargyll 15 August, 2020 13:01
Smart move by Kent to include our nemesis Grant Stewart.

I don't think he gets in their side all that often, but they always make sure to select him against us.

Jonathan Winsky 15 August, 2020 13:19
I wonder whether Nick Gubbins’ absence is because he received contact from NHS Track and Trace to say that someone he has been physically close to may have (or has been confirmed to have) coronavirus, or whether someone he knows has informed him. Anyway, at least this stops coronavirus spreading.

It must be a strange time for Max Holden, as an article in the Hampstead & Highgate Express in April said that at the time, he was living in the club’s house in Edgware with Robbie White, Tom Lace and Jack Davies. However, in recent days, he has seen Lace leave the club and White and Davies make unexpected appearances in our first-team. I was hopeful that the presence of White and Davies would inspire Holden to have a good match, but it has not gone well for him so far.

chunkyinargyll 15 August, 2020 13:31
I know Kent's reserve keeper Adam Rouse has announced he's leaving cricket.

I'm not sure what Kent's wicket-keeping resources are like, but I suppose a good performance from R Whites lemonade might impress Kent at the right time.

Haringey Racer 15 August, 2020 13:47
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
I know Kent's reserve keeper Adam Rouse has announced he's leaving cricket.
I'm not sure what Kent's wicket-keeping resources are like, but I suppose a good performance from R Whites lemonade might impress Kent at the right time.

Sam Billings and Ollie Robinson the Younger aren't too shabby as options.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net