Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Kent v Middlesex, 15-18 August
tallliman 17 August, 2020 12:49
Played at one moving away to be dismissed for 99. White looked heartbroken on the stream, took an age to move. Really feel for him.

chunkyinargyll 17 August, 2020 12:49
Bad luck on Robbie White getting out on 99.

But quite probably a career saving 99, as that will probably get him a new deal.

chunkyinargyll 17 August, 2020 12:56
Come on Kevin Hand- you want to tell us, don't you?

Way back in February who would have thought we would get to 12.55 on August 17th before we were told,' Ethan Bamber's dad played Hitler in a film'.

So far KH is refusing to give Kent supporters this nugget of information.

freddie tittlemouse 17 August, 2020 13:02
What a shame! He certainly grasped his unexpected chance. We trust that he won't get dropped to make way for Gubbins.

wembleylion 17 August, 2020 13:16
Presume Anderson would make way for Gubbins?

chunkyinargyll 17 August, 2020 13:20
More likely Jack Davies I would think.

Andersson being 'half a bowler' means he can move down one to six.

Or would Eskinazi offer to be left out (or would Law do it anyway)

Can't really drop Andersson (92 last match) for White

VincentVanDerVictory 17 August, 2020 13:22
Very well played Robbie White

wembleylion 17 August, 2020 13:35
Of course Chunky, I forgot all about Jack. Would be surprised if Nick or Stevie were to miss out.

MB 17 August, 2020 13:49
Gutted for Rob White to miss out on his century, but a good knock and he can take a lot from that innings

Seaxe_man1 17 August, 2020 19:09
Well batted Robbie. Your runs plus the tail wagged gave us a score that looked unlikely last night.

Jonathan Winsky 17 August, 2020 19:38
I am delighted about the runs Robbie White scored, although it is difficult to not feel for him about falling one short of a century. However, at least he has given a substantial boost to his chances of getting further opportunities to finally reach three figures.

Quote:
Jonathan Winsky on Saturday
we will have to see whether the main plot of this match is the battle for bonus points, or whether a result is possible
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky on Sunday
I imagine that Middlesex’s aim at the moment will be to get to 200 and then see whether we can possibly get more batting points in addition to that. We have so far faced 61.5 overs, by which time teams often have either already passed 200 or are close to doing so, but as our run rate for much of our innings has been around 2.00, we have a long way to go

Considering Middlesex started today 77 short of a first batting point with four wickets remaining and appeared to be playing in difficult batting conditions, it was more in hope than in expectation that I felt there was a chance of us achieving a batting point. Therefore, I am delighted that the runs of White, James Harris and Ethan Bamber allowed us to earn two batting points.

To answer the question I raised on Saturday, it looks like part of the plot of tomorrow will be the battle for bonus points as opposed to determining who will win this match. However, when and if Kent are all out, there will be much to play for from a Middlesex point of view, as some of our batsmen could do with runs under their belt, as team selection for next week’s match v Sussex at Radlett will be interesting due to the runs of White in the first innings of this match, the fact Nick Gubbins will be able to return, and the fact that we might want to go back to selecting a second spinner at the expense of a batsman. In saying that, if we bat really badly, then Kent would fancy their chances of forcing a win, although that just reinforces my point about it being important that our batsmen see it as important to register some good scores tomorrow.

I would be surprised if Miguel Cummins is left out next week, as he followed his 3-30 v Surrey at The Oval with three more wickets today.

Jonathan Winsky 17 August, 2020 22:27
Robbie White has spoken to Middlesex’s YouTube page about today:

adelaide 17 August, 2020 23:15
I was guilty of not concentrating on the commentary as I thought for a moment that another generation of Cowdreys was playing (rather than commentating). Turned out to be Hamidullah Qadri.

And that after having thought last week that Harry Kane was moonlighting for Hampshire.

I was watching the feed before lunch and I was impressed with the way Robbie changed gear, his second not-quite fifty coming in good time. He did not seem to be affected by the nervous nineties and if gully had not got fingertips to one he played into the ground earlier in the over he would have got his ton. Then he got a good one. Should do him a power of good.

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll 18 August, 2020 06:41
Every decision has consequences, doesn't it?

If Dawid Malan had stayed Martin Andersson probably wouldn't have got in the side against Surrey.

If Tom Lace hadn't left (and Gubbo Covid scare) Robbie White wouldn't have played and got 99.

The last time I saw a batsman go out knowing his future depended on it was Adam London a few years back.

He was looking good for 22- not in any difficulties, and got sawn off by an appalling LBW decision.

And that was his lot.

Fine margins- not given out, he might have made a hundred (or 99) and all would have been well.

Anyway, every departure from the club is always an opportunity for someone else, and Robbie took his chance.

Seaxe_man1 18 August, 2020 11:34
Bowling star so far Cummins. Btw chunky Adam London now Director of Cricket at Richmond. And I saw the. diabolical lbw which sounded like a big inside edge. Previously he saved the game v Derby with 9 down at Uxbridge with a broken finger.

Seaxe_man1 18 August, 2020 12:12
Kent 9 down. Barber taken a wicket for Notts.

chunkyinargyll 18 August, 2020 12:30
S_M

Are you suggesting we shouldn't have let Barber go?

confused smiley

If I'm right that Robbie White will be out of contract in a few weeks, then he'll be free to listen to offers from elsewhere.

Understandable that the reserve keepers contract might be allowed to run out, as we also have Davies, but now RW has proved he deserves a chance just as a batsman his value has just gone up.

Seaxe_man1 18 August, 2020 12:49
Simmo 32. Dangerous to let understudy contract run out. But then the 2009 regime always has lived dangerously. Tom Barber threefer and Pete Trego threefer. Not suggesting anything chunky just the usual sudden upsurge in form by the ex's. With shortage of batsmen, Robbie should consider a batting career for the present. Stuart Law doesn't do contracts, only recommendations. Fraser and Goatley are the deciders on that area.

VincentVanDerVictory 18 August, 2020 15:58
Will Middlesex offer Robbie White a new contract at the end of this season ? I hope so as if his contract is about to run out of would be very disappointing to lose another talented player.

Seaxe_man1 18 August, 2020 16:13
Agreed Vincent. But with Butch and Sundance you never know.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net