Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Vitality Blast competition
Discussion started by Fozzie , 12 August, 2020 09:12
Vitality Blast competition
Fozzie 12 August, 2020 09:12
The T20 fixture list has been announced. The competition has the same groups as the Bob Willis Trophy, with each team playing the other 5 teams in their group home and away. There will then be quarter finals, and Finals Day is on 3 October.

We start away to Essex, the holders, on 27 August, followed by a home match v Kent on the 29th - Lord's first game of the season.

Re: Vitality Blast competition
BeefyRoberts 12 August, 2020 10:15
Still all behind closed doors.
Hope games not televised will be shown on the relevant club internet feed.
Still, with some on Sky, each club gets some income from the broadcaster I presume?

Jonathan Winsky 12 August, 2020 20:04
I expected to come home to hear about lots of counties being disappointed that (except for possibly a few matches in October) they will not generate any matchday income in the 2020 and about lots of supporters being disappointed about it being a strong likelihood that they will not get to attend any cricket in 2020. However, the closest I have come to seeing such comments was in a Daily Mail article about Warwickshire’s hopes of being able to admit 8,000 spectators to Twenty20 finals day at Edgbaston in which their chief executive, Stuart Cain, expressed his worry that T20 cricket in empty grounds won’t make for a good look and that supporters may get out of the habit of attending cricket through being unable to attend in 2020.

Ever since the pilot events scheduled for two weeks ago became behind-closed-doors events, I had felt that it would have been wishful to have hopes of the T20 Blast being played in front of spectators, as it feels like the last fortnight has seen the situation with coronavirus get worse rather than better, and some people think that we are getting ever-closer to a second wave. The situation with coronavirus would have had to have improved to have made it realistic that the targeted date of 1st October to have spectators attending sport could have been beaten. The fact that the London Underground is getting increasingly busier and that I have seen many people wearing face coverings incorrectly (e.g. not covering their nose or wearing it on their chin) or touching their face makes me pessimistic that coronavirus will soon pose little or no threat. Although I don’t really identify myself with the Anti Mask Brigade (or whatever they call themselves), I am supportive of people’s desire to not wear a face covering, as long as they follow all hygiene and social distancing measures, but I have seen many of these people touching their face, so I give up. I am not sure how much football I will get to attend this winter, although I - and probably many other people - have my sights set on the 2021 cricket season being played with little or no coronavirus-related disruption, as there are eight months before that is due to start.

Similar to what is the case with the Bob Willis Trophy, the counties and ECB seem to think that supporters will be excited about cricket being played and that they can watch the matches on their computer or - in some cases (which only includes one Middlesex match, which is v Surrey at The Oval) - on Sky, but I am not particularly excited (it would make for a twist in regards to the tone of this post if I said that I felt excited!). Anyway, three of Middlesex’s matches start at 2:00pm a on weekday, so the availability of a live stream will be of little use to me.

I am sure that when the tournament comes around, I will feel a bit of excitement, and I am certain that I would end up looking back with fond memories (albeit dampened by my inability to attend) if we end up replicating our triumph of 2008.

I don’t think we will sign any overseas players, as I don’t think that Mitch Marsh or Mujeeb Ur Rahman will come over, although if Thilan Walallawita plays, then at least we could say that one of our overseas player berths was being filled.

Jonathan Winsky 15 August, 2020 00:00
In the Daily Mail, it is reported that it is expected that in the round of Bob Wills Trophy matches beginning on Saturday 22nd August, 2,500 spectators will be permitted to attend on at least one day of the Surrey v Kent match at The Oval and that it is possible that spectators may be permitted at another match in the round, which could include a match at an outground. This round will see Middlesex play Sussex at Radlett.

This is relevant to the T20 Blast, as many counties will hope that these pilot events will go well enough to prompt the government to permit spectators to T20 group matches, even though it will take place before 1st October. I am certain that all this will be dependent on whether the situation with coronavirus improves and could change at the last minute.

When it was announced that spectators would not be permitted at Middlesex’s Bob Willis Trophy match at The Oval, my dad remarked that anyone who had a ticket to a day of that match should instead be allowed to attend Surrey v Kent if spectators are permitted at that match. However, I imagine that the only people other than Surrey members, cricket officials and the media to be allowed to attend this match will be Kent members.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net