Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Tom Lace leaves - for Gloucs!
Discussion started by Fozzie , 13 August, 2020 12:08
Tom Lace leaves - for Gloucs!
Fozzie 13 August, 2020 12:08
Just as there is renewed disgruntlement about Ryan Higgins leaving the club, Middlesex have announced that Tom Lace has been allowed to join Gloucs with immediate effect.

Whereas I believe that Higgins' departure was in his own hands, apparently Lace had an agreement that he could leave if he wasn't getting regular first team cricket, and Middlesex have obviously deemed that he is surplus to requirements. Because obviously it was only Derbyshire he got all those runs for last season...

Sometimes I really don't understand our club.

Gloucs have just announced the news on Twitter, and not surprisingly have had an immediately enthusiastic response from supporters. But what do Gloucestershire know? After all, they only managed to get promotion last season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/08/2020 12:14 by Fozzie.

Re: Tom Lace leaves - for Gloucs!
BarmierKev 13 August, 2020 12:14
I am very unhappy with this. What is our club doing???

MB 13 August, 2020 12:17
We dont need additional batsmen to be fair, as we never change the batting line up

Crazy !!!!!!

BeefyRoberts 13 August, 2020 12:28
Well, I'm not impressed with this news, talented player who I thought (what do I know?) had a career with us after spending time at Derbyshire.
Saying no more.

antryg 13 August, 2020 12:36
We have become a feeder club. I am furious. It started with Rossington and has got worse from there. Management have to take responsibility for this situation and do something about it. The impression of the continuing departures is that they don't see this as a problem.

You can't suceed if your good young players leave regularly.

tallliman 13 August, 2020 13:24
He was next cab off the rank so this surprised me. Surely he would've got a game or 2 this season given Robson's recent form?

Edit, I'm not meaning to single Sam out there. Just commenting that he's not scored runs this season even though he has done consistently over the years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/08/2020 13:27 by tallliman.

freddie tittlemouse 13 August, 2020 13:29
This is deeply deeply disturbing. I simply cannot get my head round it.
From being champions we have become the Crewe Alexandra of county cricket - developing talent for bigger clubs.
On his record I would say that Lace would be ahead of at least 2 other batsmen in selection entitlement. It also begs the question why he doesn't merit a place in a lowly second division outfit but is good enough to be considered a shoo in for a first division side.
I can't wait for the management's usual mealy mouthed platitudes. I am afraid our club is rotting at the foundations.

Seaxe_man1 13 August, 2020 14:17
Like the others, not considered England material,.so off you go. Our DNA says we produce England players. This is at the expense of the county team. Not England material. You just ain't gonna get the chance, you could be wasting our time!! Mx now shambolic and looking a joke.

adelaide 13 August, 2020 14:37
Is finance at the root of our becoming a feeder team to a feeder team?

It seems likely that it was a toss-up between Andersson and Lace for selection. Andersson has done well but if you are that close it seems bizarre to say "that's it" after two matches.

The other thought is that with Eskinazi as skipper, one of the more obvious players that Lace might supplant was more or less guaranteed a place. Of course he knows that Handscomb will arive eventually.

I doubt he will just walk into the Gloucestershire team but then I would say the same about George Scott and he played the last match.

Finally, what role if any has the Lawman played in this? If none., then he isn't going to be happy either. If some, it doesn't seem like his tenure is going to result in a brighter future.

dnb 13 August, 2020 14:41
Last year Lace averaged 43.3 which is higher than any of the present Middlesex batsmen managed. His average was almost twice that of Gubbins, more than twice that of new captain Eskinazi and more than three times that of Holden. All of these played ahead of him in the first two games. I guess that this was as difficult for him to understand as it is for the rest of us and with only three rounds remaining he triggered his immediate exit which he was very wise to have arranged.

Fozzie 13 August, 2020 14:46
Quote:
adelaide
I doubt he will just walk into the Gloucestershire team but then I would say the same about George Scott and he played the last match.

Given that he has been allowed to leave Middlesex because he's not getting regular first team cricket, my guess is that Gloucs have promised him at least a first team place for the rest of the BWT. Gloucs have just put up a tweet with a reminder of what Tom Lace did for Derbyshire last year at Bristol: 83 and 57. It also includes a quote from Tom about looking forward to hitting the ground running, which suggests that he has been given such an assurance.

chunkyinargyll 13 August, 2020 14:59
So Lace issued a 'pick me or I'm off ultimatum'.

The Gloucestershire site says he passed his medical earlier in the week, so it really was a case that the moment he wasn't selected against Surrey he was off.

But think for a moment-

Would that have been fair on Martin Andersson, who probably hadn't issued a 'Pick me, or I'm off ultimatum'

It wouldn't.

The only way to have been competitive, but retain experience, would have been if Lace had Andersson's place, and the latter hasn't let us down.

Sorry, but Tom Lace does not get to pick the side.

Fozzie 13 August, 2020 15:30
Of course Lace doesn't get to pick the side. But at the same time, players are entitled to expect fair treatment. We are always being told that performances on the field are what matters. We don't need to go through all the figures again, but one need only compare Lace's Div 2 figures last season with those of Robson, Gubbins, Eskinazi and Holden to understand that he must have returned to Lord's feeling that he had done all he could to justify being given a run in the 1st XI. And I imagine that's how he felt when the selection for the Surrey game was announced: same-old, same-old.

I had always assumed (naively, perhaps) that Lace had been sent on loan to Derbshire to assist his development, but perhaps it was simply to get him off the books for a year. He was under contract to Middlesex, but obviously they felt equivocal enough to give an assurance that he could leave if he wasn't getting first team opportunities. They seem to have acquiesed very quickly to him leaving the club, and presumably if they explained the team selection or gave assuances that Lace was still valued, they weren't sufficiently convincing.

Maybe in time we'll learn that the club bent over backwards to keep Lace but that he behaved like a spoilt child. To me, on the face of it, it seems inexplicable that a player who last season outperformed his rivals for a first team place is not given a chance to show what he can do here.
I know there's this arrogant feeling that Gloucestershire and Derbyshire are smaller clubs than us. But the fact is that a Div One club have seen their chance, swooped to take it, and appear cockahoop to have done so. And good luck to him.

freddie tittlemouse 13 August, 2020 15:45
One of the dismal failures from last year has been appointed captain. Two of the other dismal failures have been given further opportunities. Malan and Stirling have left but the guy who had double Eskinazi Holden and Gubbins averages doesn't even get a sniff. No wonder he wants out.
It really defies analysis.

Seaxe_man1 13 August, 2020 16:13
W6 ain't a good postcode. First Podmore now Lace.

Seaxe_man1 13 August, 2020 16:16
Chunky. Lace ain't picking the team. Question? Same as George Scott and Higgo. Just asked for the lowdown. Fraser told him.

Seaxe_man1 13 August, 2020 16:20
Quote:
freddie tittlemouse
One of the dismal failures from last year has been appointed captain. Two of the other dismal failures have been given further opportunities. Malan and Stirling have left but the guy who had double Eskinazi Holden and Gubbins averages doesn't even get a sniff. No wonder he wants out.
The players you quote there Freddie are thought to have England DNA. The Glaws trio were not thought to be in that category I suspect.

antryg 13 August, 2020 16:55
I'd rather have Podmore in the side than Helm

freddie tittlemouse 13 August, 2020 17:04
Quote:
Seaxe_man1
Quote:
freddie tittlemouse
The players you quote there Freddie are thought to have England DNA. The Glaws trio were not thought to be in that category I suspect.
A bit of Middlesex DNA would help.

Seaxe_man1 13 August, 2020 17:09
We are in a mess Freddie. Difficult to see a way out right now.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net