Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Current Ex Middlesex X1
Discussion started by BarmierKev , 15 August, 2020 18:15
Current Ex Middlesex X1
BarmierKev 15 August, 2020 18:15
I probably have got too much time on my hands. Just compiled an X! of current players who were once with us.

1/ Billy Godeleman
2/ Joe Denly
3/ Dawid Malan
4/ Tom Lace
5/ Cameron Steel
6/ Paul Stirling
7/Adam Rossington
8/ Ryan Higgins
9/ George Scott
10/ Gareth Berg
11/ Harry Podmore

12th man Tom Smith.

I think there are more out there.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Re: Current Ex Middlesex X1
Seaxe_man1 15 August, 2020 18:18
Josh Davey

Seaxe_man1 15 August, 2020 18:19
JK Fuller

chunkyinargyll 15 August, 2020 18:24
Never on our staff, but part of our academy and played many 2nd XI games-

Charlie Thurston (made 96 for Northants last week)

[www.espncricinfo.com]

adelaide 15 August, 2020 18:42
Tom Barber is available.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 15 August, 2020 18:44
Unlikely to be the only one who fits that bill chunky. You could add three others I can think of now retired.

Seaxe_man1 15 August, 2020 18:44
Good spot Adelaide.

snicko 15 August, 2020 18:45
With the exception of Malan and possibly Berg - all of the above had very average careers for Middlesex. It wasn’t that long ago that people on here were questioning their value to Middlesex, yet They are now being heralded as cricketing exemplars !

Are cricket fans the most fickle in sport ?

chunkyinargyll 15 August, 2020 18:47
Eckersley for one.

chunkyinargyll 15 August, 2020 18:51
Indeed Snicko.

There's maybe a couple on that list I miss.

Stirling a special case- so hardly our fault.

Malan for his runs- but it does appear he could be a bit of a negative influence.

Some of the others decent county pro's- but not so outstanding that they are better than we have.

Higgins hadn't produced at the time of his departure and wanted to put the cart before the horse- be paid for what he might do in the future, rather than what he had done to date.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/08/2020 18:54 by chunkyinargyll.

freddie tittlemouse 15 August, 2020 18:53
Peter Trego now with Notts.
A substantial no. from the list prospered substantially after leaving Middlesex, eh Denly Higgins Berg Godleman Podmore Rossington.

chunkyinargyll 15 August, 2020 19:05
Out of the above I did feel sorry for Gareth Berg at the time, because we got rid of him with a year left on his contract, because he had a 'career ending injury'

Except it clearly wasn't.

However, he did have his best years with us. If he was still on board he would be part of the perceived problem (old and best days now behind him).

Seaxe_man1 15 August, 2020 19:24
Apart from the two you mention snicko only Denly was here long enough to form a judgement. Few had first eleven red ball cricket. The fickleness was more on the management side. Denly, who is a handy occasional spinner was never used in that role.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/08/2020 19:26 by Seaxe_man1.

Jonathan Winsky 15 August, 2020 19:38
Quote:
snicko
With the exception of Malan and possibly Berg - all of the above had very average careers for Middlesex. It wasn’t that long ago that people on here were questioning their value to Middlesex, yet They are now being heralded as cricketing exemplars !
Are cricket fans the most fickle in sport ?

Of the players mentioned on this thread, I was disappointed about the departures of Dawid Malan, Paul Stirling, Adam Rossington, Ryan Higgins, James Fuller and Peter Trego, although I haven’t seen enough of Charlie Thurston or Tom Lace to have much of an opinion. For most of the other players mentioned, I would say that at the time of each player’s departure, I either considered them them to be a young player who I was uncertain could ever become a regular in Middlesex’s first-team or I doubted whether they would perform well enough for another county to leave me wishing they were still at Middlesex, or I considered them to be an older player whose career was in decline and whose departure enabled them to wind down their career elsewhere.

I admit that Joe Denly and Harry Podmore have done really well since moving (or, in Denly’s case, returning) to Kent and that Gareth Berg has spectacularly disproven anyone who assumed that he was no longer fit enough to continue playing cricket when the club cancelled his contract in 2014. It is ironic that as one of the main motivating factors for Denly to agree to move from Kent to Middlesex before the 2012 season was so he could add to the 14 England appearances he had made in 2009 and 2010, he failed to achieve this during three seasons at Middlesex, yet eventually returned to the England side in 2018 after he returned to Kent. At the time of these three players’ departures, I felt that the departures were in the best interests of the players and that Middlesex wouldn’t rue the departures. Therefore, I don’t really question why Middlesex agreed for those players to leave, but I instead question why we couldn’t (or no longer could) get the best out of them. I know that there is a feeling that Denly never really settled into life in London and that this was a reason why his time at Middlesex was mixed.

Seeing players leave Middlesex and do well elsewhere is only an issue if we aren’t doing well ourselves. If we are doing well, then we can simply say that these players may not have got into our team or that they would have not improved our side to the same extent that they could improve a struggling side. However, as our performances haven’t been great in recent years, particularly in first-class matches, seeing ex-players do well elsewhere is a big issue.

I would say that there are plenty of more fickle groups of people in sport than MTWD posters.

Fozzie 16 August, 2020 09:04
I got a bit of a shock to see that Owais Shah is in the Lancs squad, only to find that this one is a 21 year old Glaswegian

antryg 16 August, 2020 09:33
Podmore in his rare chances for us did well when he played. Enough for it to be clear he could take wickets cheaply. My memory is unsure about this but I think his figures when he left were better than Helm.

The management also seemed to prefer Barber as he was fast. He didn't take many wickets and he wasn't economical. Strangely that didn't seem to matter.

chunkyinargyll 16 August, 2020 09:56
I think Barber was always considered to be a bit of a punt.

Hants had let him go, and he'd had a few trials elsewhere.

I don't think anyone ever thought it was a given he would succeed, but it would have been a feather in Richard Johnson's cap if he'd managed to fix his radar.

Effectively Blake Cullen has replaced Barber, as the most junior quick on the staff. Someone with loads of potential, but not yet ready for the firsts. Whenever I've seen Cullen (England U 19 coverage and live streams of 2nd's) he has the ability to get batsmen in trouble one or two deliveries an over, mixed with the ability to gift one or two fours an over. As in- I can see why he's on the staff, and at 18 he's got plenty of time to learn to eliminate the loose deliveries, but not yet ready for the firsts.

adelaide 16 August, 2020 10:53
Barber is 25 now so nowhere near as young as Cullen when he came to Middlesex. Most definitely a punt. He has played two of Notts first three matches and has taken a couple of CC wickets but it was obvious from the bowling figures from the first one that (unless injured) he was not trusted when it got tight. Be interesting to see how he will go with a big score to defend in the current match.

Many years ago, someone was writing up Spurs youth team and finished it with the words "... and we wish them all the best in their future League careers at Norwich City", the point being that a whole bunch of youth team products in the previous few years had gone there. I'm feeling a bit like this about Middlesex's young players.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 16 August, 2020 10:54
Barber was a Johnson Project that did not turn out too well. The attraction left arm. In the Cricket Paper Higgo said he found the coaching at Bristol to be better and that persuaded George Scott to make the move down there. Presumably he was referring to Scott/ Johnson as Stuart Law arrived after he left.

adelaide 16 August, 2020 11:23
SM

"Coaching" could relate to the actual quality of the cricket coaching or it could be a euphemism for the broader atmosphere engendered by the coaches. Higgins would not have known much about the quality of the Glos coaching before he left and would not have known about the quality of Law's coaching last season, unless Scott or others told him they were unimpressed.

I do wonder how Glos knew about the exit clause in Lace's contract...

Adelaide

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net