Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Email from our CEO...
Discussion started by Surbiton crusader2 , 21 August, 2020 13:24
Email from our CEO...
Surbiton crusader2 21 August, 2020 13:24
Being a life member of MCCC since 1993. I am expecting nothing back.

However my older nephew for whom I paid for a young persons membership that's a different matter altogether!

SC2

Re: Email from our CEO...
BarmierKev 21 August, 2020 13:39
The e mail states no refunds. In this climate perfectly understandable and the future of club comes first.

I remain disappointed and make no applogies other recreational activities can take place and our passion which is infinitely safer has been discounted. Anyone going to Thorpe Park this weekend?

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

chrisha123 21 August, 2020 13:39
I was also going to start a post re this. I've paid over £300 for my wife and I and with no cricket at all I just don't see how they can not either offer a refund or significant money off next season. I get the predicament but it just sits uncomfortably with me that I handed across that money and get literally nothing for it.
I understand the club fully furloghed their staff inc the players and don't have the upkeep of a ground. Surely Middlesex must do better here or leave a seriously bad taste in the mouth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/08/2020 13:42 by chrisha123.

chunkyinargyll 21 August, 2020 13:52
The easiest thing to do is try to convince yourself you've seen a full years cricket, even though you haven't.

Then it won't feel like a loss.

I'm sure the club have worked out the options, and have probably budgeted for the fact that maybe 10% of people will say, 'If you don't give me a refund, I'm not renewing' and concluded that is better (lest costly) than giving refunds on request (which in itself would be a bit unfair on those who chose not to ask for a refund because they wanted to support the club in difficult times)

People want their money back- a star player we would like to keep doesn't get his contract renewed.

BeefyRoberts 21 August, 2020 14:01
Have been reading email.
As a few know, I have already asked the club to keep my fee for this year, as a small donation towards the club.
Yes, it does look like there will be nobody attending games this year, and, we are all disappointed about it.
Ours, and everybody's safety comes first.
Keeping our club going is important to say the least, we are all connected to it in different ways via membership, player sponsorship, club sponsors etc. All the latter have no way of entertaining clients at games this year. Along with us, the members, I hope they stay with the club in going forward.
As we know, the virus isnt anybody's fault, and all have struggled this year.
Imagine, after paying our membership to watch cricket it rains, and rains and rains. We go along to watch games, but the rain stops play, and, we get no cricket at all through this? Wouldnt get a refund! I'm just using that as an example.
In the email, the club does say ' We expect to know mid-September what impact this season will have on the ecb payments to each county. This in turn will allow us to calculate what we can afford to do in terms of providing some form of compensation, such as a reduction in subs for 2021, and perhaps beyond. It would not be prudent to make any commitment before we know what our future cashflow is likely to be'

I think we should at least give the club a chance to make a statement probably after the mid-September ECB payments before jumping up and down!

Maybe, if the clowns at the ecb hadn't chucked £m onto the 💯 rubbish, there would be more in the county pot, so, some of the blame for a cashflow problem if it happens lays firmly at the doors of graves and puppet harrison.

chrisha123 21 August, 2020 14:08
I hear you, am just surprised at the clubs stance currently and accept they will know more in mid September so don't want to commit to anything. From what I understand of other counties who are all in the same boat AND have to run their ground, the members are given the option to request a refund, carry over towards next years fee or donate to the club and this seems more reasonable given that their probably is a large number of people who would donate - of which I may have done myself, but chosen myself.

The previous reply re pretending I've seen cricket this year was hilarious, maybe you can pay my £300 next year for me and then just pretend you didn't.

Surbiton crusader2 21 August, 2020 14:09
Will be interesting to see what action Surrey ccc take regarding their members

SC2

Surbiton crusader2 21 August, 2020 14:09
Will be interesting to see what action Surrey ccc take regarding their members

SC2

chunkyinargyll 21 August, 2020 14:25
Quote:
chrisha123
I hear you, am just surprised at the clubs stance currently and accept they will know more in mid September so don't want to commit to anything. From what I understand of other counties who are all in the same boat AND have to run their ground, the members are given the option to request a refund, carry over towards next years fee or donate to the club and this seems more reasonable given that their probably is a large number of people who would donate - of which I may have done myself, but chosen myself.
The previous reply re pretending I've seen cricket this year was hilarious, maybe you can pay my £300 next year for me and then just pretend you didn't.

As the statement said- we may not have the cost of running the ground- but we can't earn anything from it in future years either (eg pop concerts) which other clubs can- so it appears the net result for us not owning the ground is it makes matters worse, not better.

Living in Scotland, I make a 'loss' every year (cheaper if I paid at the gate for the one 4 day match a year I normally get to) so I don't see it in terms of, 'This is a bargain, and if I don't get any cricket I want my money back'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/08/2020 14:26 by chunkyinargyll.

chrisha123 21 August, 2020 14:28
Thanks - but that is of course your personal choice. The difference here is actually the arrogant approach that they need the money so they are keeping it. It's actually pretty staggering when put that way. As I said, if the club offered us the option I would guess a lot of members would say keep the money

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/08/2020 14:32 by chrisha123.

Seaxe_man1 21 August, 2020 17:39
The problem being Mx have far and away the highest subscriptions of the 18 Counties. Last figure published was 1,000,025 million. This far exceeds the published gate money of 669000 though my email requesting more information on that was never answered by the Treasurer. The other main money source is the ECB share. With no ground which in normal times works for the others, you can see the dilemma.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/08/2020 18:35 by Seaxe_man1.

middlefan 21 August, 2020 18:24
In the circumstances, I think the approach the club is taking is the right one. If providing refunds would threaten the club’s financial viability, it’s not ultimately in members’ interests to do so.

I understand people’s frustrations about this. But becoming a member of a cricket club is not quite the same as buying tickets to matches.

chrisha123 21 August, 2020 18:27
Two other counties I'm aware of, Hants and Gloucs, have both offered full refunds to their members - Hants have rolled their membership to next year so effectively a full refund, and Gloucs have offered a refund or the opportunity to donate to the club. I'm in favour of the 2nd. Middx don't have to upkeep a ground and have pretty much furloghed all the staff so can't be in such bad shape. So how badly is our club run if we can't afford to do the same? These pop concerts the other grounds run won't be happening anytime soon but they are still offering refunds / compensation. Will be interesting what the club says in mid September

Seaxe_man1 21 August, 2020 18:48
Our games at Lord's generate no money for Mx. The bar, hospitality, shop sales, gate money, scorecard monies go to MCC. Therin lies the problem. We used to get a share of the gate until 2015. This was sold to MCC as was the shop in exchange for a fixed amount for cricket played set at 500000. This works out over the number of days played at around 23grand a day. And pre 2015 the match fee for T20 matches at Lord's was 100grand. Hence the subs after the ECB cash very important. Understand the disappointment. In addition Hants have a bloke with deep pockets. Uncle Rod Bransgrove..unfortunately Mx have never had a rich uncle.

Seaxe_man1 21 August, 2020 18:54
And Chrisha123. MCC have furloughed all of their staff. We incidentally don't live there foc. We pay rent on the offices and Middlesex Room plus any other facilities we use. So a misnomer to say we have no overheads at the ground. We used to be charged for stewarding. Probably still are.

chrisha123 21 August, 2020 19:12
Yes but upkeep of a ground v paying for some stewards....? Anyway, it's all a bit unsatisfactory and will wait to see what they announce in September. The overiding feeling is being treated a bit shabbily

Marlowboy 21 August, 2020 19:37
While having sympathy for members wishing a refund, I will not be seeking one myself. As others have said, I see it as a contribution towards the future of MCCC, who are in a difficult position through no fault of their own with covid. Players and staff have contributed financially and I feel members should also contribute to the club (if possible). I'm fortunate and can afford to do so.

I rather like the view of 'BeefyRoberts' regarding rain affected days.

MB

Seaxe_man1 21 August, 2020 19:45
As said MCC furloughed their staff. Surrey didn't. Upkeep can't be much with no play. Minimal grounstaff. No stewards ticket staff catering etc. Ok we don't paint it but our match revenue which they collect from Mx T20's leaves them well in the black. Since the ,500000 grand agreement, we have lost money every year, so set far too low and reducing the prospects of refunds with no surplus as a cushion for as now, hard times.

Seaxe_man1 21 August, 2020 19:45
As said MCC furloughed their staff. Surrey didn't. Upkeep can't be much with no play. Minimal grounstaff. No stewards ticket staff catering etc. Ok we don't paint it but our match revenue which they collect from Mx T20's leaves them well in the black. Since the ,500000 grand agreement, we have lost money every year, so set far too low and reducing the prospects of refunds with no surplus as a cushion for as now, hard times.

PaulR_enfield 21 August, 2020 21:37
Chrisha123 is right, personally I found the tone of the email arrogant and presumptive, more so coming from a management that has continually handed most of it's revenue streams to another club which never seems to reciprocate in any way for our benefit. As I've said before, if asked I'd previously probably have agreed to contribute my membership fee for this year but would have liked to be given the option.
We appear to be in the ridiculous situation that Surrey have made more effort for our members to watch cricket this year than our own club or our masters from MCC.
Will wait to see what is offered, if anything, come September but probably done with county cricket now after 50+ years, much as I distrust the ECB and find the franchises/Hundred abhorrent, covid may well have proved that county cricket in it's current format is unsustainable but that's probably a discussion in itself.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net