Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Email from our CEO...
Surbiton crusader2 10 September, 2020 22:41
Surrey CCC are offering a measly 25% refund to members. Only if they want to receive it. Rather pathetic isn't it?!

SC2

dnb 11 September, 2020 15:44
Gloucestershire CCC offer three options: full refund, rollover to 2021 and donation. In the case of the donation the member will get a 25% discount off 2021 membership and some other benefits. This seems like a good set of options.

Seaxe_man1 12 September, 2020 09:26
MCC raised £22.9 from life membership sales. Prices from 7000 to 80000.

chunkyinargyll 12 September, 2020 09:54
I should probably know this, but as I'm not an MCC member I don't.

Are all MCC members automatically also MCCC members (I don't think they are) or is it an add on optional extra for a bit more?

If so MCC's refusal to give refunds might be tying our hands to some extent, because it would be unfair to give Middlesex only members refunds if MCC won't.

And presumably if MCC pass on the Middlesex subscription bit (for those that have it) then that part of our income is guaranteed and can't be taken away.

The relationship between MCC and MCCC has never really interested me that much, and how much of the cake MCC let us have from combined memberships, individual matches etc generally holds little interest for me (no matter how many times S_M explains it).

Our problem could be unique.

So- will the MCC allow the Middlesex part of the subscription to be refunded? I assume the answer is 'No' otherwise MCC/MCCC joint members have an advantage (being able to get an MCCC refund when MCCC only members cannot (at least that's the position at the moment- but might change))

Maybe that's why Middlesex would rather not give refunds- either because they cannot, or because they know the joint members won't be leaving because of the 29 year waiting list.

Hope that makes sense- have tried in vain to word it more succinctly.

Seaxe_man1 12 September, 2020 10:47
MCC not involved chunky. If a joint member the discounted subscription is paid directly to Mx. Mx would require only evidence, that is, the joint members MCC client ref. The refund of Mx subs has nothing to do with MCC. Just our precarious finance situation where our subs are second only to our ECB share. The weakness of the relationship financially is because Mx did not drive a hard enough deal on T20 revenues at SJW or the advertising cave in 20 years ago. That is our fault. This is not helped by a Mx Board now and before wearing two hats and therefore split loyalties some of us believe. So though it may not be of interest to you chunky, some of us are in Mx longevity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2020 10:50 by Seaxe_man1.

chrisha123 14 September, 2020 18:46
Quote:
Surbiton crusader2
Surrey CCC are offering a measly 25% refund to members. Only if they want to receive it. Rather pathetic isn't it?!
SC2

I can only see vastly reduced memberships being taken up next year if Middlesex and Surrey continue down this route. Sussex I hear now also offering full refunds (or people can donate this years fee) to their members. They join Hampshire & Gloucs that I know of. With Covid hanging around like a Nick Compton England innings, would you take a membership at the moment, knowing you won't get a refund again. Some may but some definitely won't

BeefyRoberts 14 September, 2020 21:15
Yes, I will still take membership out.
Ok, if some cant afford it, I accept this.
If those wish to turn their backs on their county, then so be it.
At these untried, and extremely testing times for all, and at £16.20 odd a month, it's hardly going to break the bank.
It's not even an evening out, or a few litres of petrol that most purchase.
As I put in an earlier post, this COVID outbreak wasnt exactly planned, and has caught every single person out in some way. Counties arnt just doing these actions to pi$$ people off, give them a chance, as our county said..they are setting up a group to discuss this, so let's see what happens.
To be honest, whatever any of the 18 do, they just wont please everyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2020 21:33 by BeefyRoberts.

dingy bags 15 September, 2020 09:02
I will be renewing my membership. It will be only a fraction of what I would have spent on travel, tickets for away grounds and hotels watching Middlesex in 2020. You pay to be a member of a club. This is not the same as a season ticket.

With no ground to use for additional income, and with a large membership, money from members represents a far bigger percentage of our turnover than it does for other clubs. So direct comparisons are not valid.

There will be genuine cases of hardship, I recognise. But anyone with any sense of loyalty to the club will continue to be a member.

Seaxe_man1 15 September, 2020 09:04
Richard Goatley calling for suggestions as to what could be feasible on 22nd September. Would like volunteers on the refunds group. Seems to be an opportunity for those who have strong views to participate.

rod/ed 15 September, 2020 09:13
Renew , tick

rod/ed 15 September, 2020 09:13
Renew , tick

chunkyinargyll 15 September, 2020 09:14
Beefy, Dingy-

Agree totally.

chrisha123 15 September, 2020 14:34
So why are other counties offering full refunds to their members and so far Middlesex haven't? Do Sussex or Hants or Gloucs care more about their members then our board? I get the emotional attachment, I've been a member for 8 years myself now however no one likes to feel they have been taken advantage of or given any options. I love British Airways but I wouldn't let them keep my money. I love John Lewis but I wouldn't just let them keep my money. Don't let the club use the emotional attachment to get away with just being plain wrong imo.

Mid September is nearly here so am sure the club will ultimately do the right thing

Seaxe_man1 15 September, 2020 15:13
At the moment Chrisha you are on the non renewals list. Members categories are no longer shown a lack of transparency as in many areas where members are left in the dark. Wilf Slack Ground another, ticketgate another. We have around 8000 members. At last count I recall about 5000 + were full members about 900 were joint though I suspect that is less now, 500 life members the rest juniors and such. To refund the full members fully at 200 quid X 5000 is around a million. Is that feasible? We have not made a profit this century. Just a few figures to mull over. 25% with some sweeteners is still 250000. Some kind of rollover a possibility. Myself a Life Member so to be fair, the discussion is with yourself and Mx. I suggest that you email CEO Goatley with your thoughts.

BeefyRoberts 15 September, 2020 15:28
So, would you prefer to see counties go to the wall then?
I see this is going nowhere with just going over and over the same tracks.
As a 20 yr plus member, I would prefer my county to still be active and able to watch cricket again, and allow others to watch the same in future.
There are some counties that have more cash flow than others, bit like in all sports really.
My membership will continue, I dont want, or have asked the club for a single penny returned to me. Each county operates differently, each sport operates differently.
I don't give two Hoots about mcc, they exist for themselves and do so in their own way, a separate club.
I care about Middlesex surviving, I care about the other 17 counties surviving, and I care about club cricket surviving.
These unprecedented times need everyone to do as they feel it's the best for themselves as a club, and in members interest to keep afloat.
Some wont like what each county does, and some will, that's they way it will go.
Some will be happy with whatever outcome is released, some wont.
No club can please everyone. I imagine they are ready for whatever happens

BeefyRoberts 15 September, 2020 15:29
As a 20 yr plus member, I would prefer my county to still be active and able to watch cricket again, and allow others to watch the same in future.
There are some counties that have more cash flow than others, bit like in all sports really.
My membership will continue, I dont want, or have asked the club for a single penny returned to me. Each county operates differently, each sport operates differently.
I don't give two Hoots about mcc, they exist for themselves and do so in their own way, a separate club.
I care about Middlesex surviving, I care about the other 17 counties surviving, and I care about club cricket surviving.
These unprecedented times need everyone to do as they feel it's the best for themselves as a club, and in members interest to keep afloat.
Some wont like what each county does, and some will, that's they way it will go.
No club can please everyone. I imagine they are ready for whatever happens

BeefyRoberts 15 September, 2020 15:29
No club can please everyone. I imagine they are ready for whatever happens.

Seaxe_man1 15 September, 2020 16:36
With you on not caring two hoots about the guys with the Spanish flag Beefy. Imho an overrated and one sided arrangement. Only Abus can see that differently I reckon.

Seaxe_man1 15 September, 2020 18:41
The news that county shares are not to be cut by ECB subject to provisos should be a positive on refund strategy for all concerned.

Bobstan 16 September, 2020 11:53
What did you say, Beefy?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net