Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Middle v Sussex Radlett 22-25 August
Discussion started by chunkyinargyll , 21 August, 2020 14:14
Middle v Sussex Radlett 22-25 August
chunkyinargyll 21 August, 2020 14:14
15 man squad named-

[www.middlesexccc.com]

The club have separately announced no TRJ because of injury- but no such comment regarding Steve Finn, who isn't in the squad. and has made no appearances this season.

Eskinazi (c), Andersson, Bamber, Cullen, Cummins, Davies, Gubbins, Harris, Helm, Holden, Murtagh, Robson, Simpson (wk), Walallawita, White.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 28/08/2020 18:29 by BarmierKev.

Re: Middle v Sussex Radlett 22-25 August
Fozzie 21 August, 2020 14:35
Ollie Robinson has been released by England and is available for Sussex, which might not be good news for us.

freddie tittlemouse 21 August, 2020 14:54
Didn't we give Finn a 2 year extension to his contract? A very strange decision. Presumably one of the highest paid players, clearly over the hill.
A fine bowler a few years ago,always gave his best, Middlesex through and through (groan) England DNA (groan) but simply not a sensible investment for the future, especially if money is tight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/08/2020 14:56 by freddie tittlemouse.

chunkyinargyll 21 August, 2020 14:55
This is a link to the contracts thread-

[www.cricketnetwork.co.uk]

JW has kept this up to date- amending it every time there is a club announcement (you can see he's already removed Lace!)

Steve Finn has a year left, so hopefully that is honoured and he gets a benefit. As he was capped in 2009 he is definitely due one.

Looking at the list, there doesn't seem to be much room for cutting costs, as senior players not out of contract. Some of the ? entries are because for a brief period we were just told, 'x has signed a new long term deal' ,so it doesn't necessarily follow any of them are out of contract.

snicko 21 August, 2020 15:55
Next year looks interesting with the number of contracts expiring. My understanding of the new regulations is that, if players are in the final year of their contract, then after 1 June of that year, any club can make approaches.
To counter that, Middlesex will need to be proactive in deciding who they wish to retain. My guess is that at least a couple of the current high earners will be jettisoned. However, the perennial problem in attracting good players remains, due to the high costs associated with living in London as opposed to a place in the Shires.

chunkyinargyll 21 August, 2020 16:01
Yes- I think the real cost cutting will be in 12 months time- Murtagh to retire, and possibly the end for Finn.

Not much can be done now, as normally you don't let a contract run out if you want to keep someone.

I doubt we will be renewing many contracts this winter- thus leaving us vulnerable to hostile approaches.

Mind you, all counties will be in the same situation, to varying degrees.

Jonathan Winsky 21 August, 2020 20:30
After Middlesex played four batsmen, one all-rounder, one wicket-keeper, three fast bowlers and two spinners for their first two Bob Wills Trophy matches, the omission of Nathan Sowter in our squad for this match suggests that we will play five batsmen and one spinner like we did v Kent at Canterbury, although an alternative option would be to play four fast bowlers. Thilan Walallawita appears to have overtaken Sowter as our main spinner in first-class matches, although I am sure that Sowter will feature extensively in our T20 Blast campaign, as will Steven Finn.

As we have lots of fast bowling options, we are well-placed to cope with Finn’s unexplained absence and Toby Roland-Jones’ thigh strain. Tim Murtaugh Tim Murtagh should return, especially as I am not sure if he will be required for the T20 Blast, while Miguel Cummins should play considering he is in good form. It would be a surprise if Kamala Harris James Harris plays, as it would mean that he would have played four matches in four weeks, which is something coaches tend to prefer fast bowlers not to do. It would be nice if Blake Cullen makes his professional debut.

Stevie Eskinazi is our only batsman to have played at least two matches to have not registered a fifty in this campaign, and in fact has not passed 29. I can’t see him being left out, as it would probably mean having to ask Sam Robson to captain the side. I felt that Eski’s form would make it an obvious opportunity for TRJ to captain the side, but TRJ’s injury means this cannot happen. I have faith that Eski can find form soon. If Eski was to be left out, then Jack Davies would be afforded an opportunity to celebrate his contract extension by playing a second successive match.

Sussex have named a 13-man squad for this match consisting of Ben Brown © (wk), Jack Carson, Tom Clark, Mitch Claydon, James Coles, Harry Finch, Tom Haines, Stuart Meaker, Delray Rawlins, Ollie Robinson, Phil Salt, Will Sheffield and Aaron Thomason.

It was highly likely that the format of this competition would result in there being some games in rounds four and five which would meet the definition of a ‘dead match’ or a match between two teams with little prospect of qualifying for the final. If this match doesn’t fall into the former category, then it must fall into the latter due to Essex having won all three matches so far. As our final group match will be v Essex at Chelmsford, at least that won’t be a match between two teams with nothing to play for.

Stuart Law has spoken to our YouTube page ahead of this match:

chunkyinargyll 22 August, 2020 07:48
Weather forecast suggests we may get a full days play today and tomorrow- possibility of some play lost on Monday, and Tuesday could well be a write off.

Jonathan Winsky 22 August, 2020 10:50
Of Middlesex’s three changes from the line-up which played v Kent at Canterbury, the only one which I wasn’t sure would happen was Blake Cullen playing and Ethan Bamber being omitted, as I anticipated Nick Gubbins and Tim Murtagh returning in place of Jack Davies and James Harris.

It is great to see another youngster in Cullen getting an opportunity.

Hopefully Bamber will return to our side at some point before the season is finished.

hdo 22 August, 2020 10:54
So this week's random fast bowler lottery has seen the balls of Murtagh, Cummins and Cullen drawn. It seems we have too many fast bowlers on our books and I can only hope that they all buy into this rotation system, because if I were one of them, I'd be getting rather frustrated not to get a proper run in the team, and in some cases no games at all.

Jonathan Winsky 22 August, 2020 16:50
It would have been nice had Middlesex taken more than three wickets so far, but at least none of Sussex’s batsmen other than Phil Salt have been able to score quickly.

Well done to Blake Cullen on taking his maiden first-class wicket in this match and to Martin Andersson on taking a wicket with his first ball in this match.

After our last match at Radlett v Hampshire saw Liam Dawson and Ryan Stevenson suffer injuries, the curse has fallen Sussex’s Tom Haines as well as our Thilan Walallawita. However, both players are set to make further contributions to this match, as Haines is expected to return after treatment for back spasms, while although Walallawita had to leave the attack two balls into the 55th over to force Nick Gubbins to complete the over, Walallawita bowled the 57th over (although he has not bowled since), so hopefully he will be OK, otherwise our main spin options would be part-timers such as Gubbo, Sam Robson and Max Holden.

After Pakistan required the part-time spin of Asad Shafiq to dismiss Zac Crawley today, hopefully Middlesex won’t need to resort to part-time spin to dismiss Harry Zacariah Finch.

antryg 22 August, 2020 17:09
Good to see the youngsters doing well.

Jonathan Winsky 22 August, 2020 19:02
Considering Sussex were three wickets down when I wrote my previous post at 4:50pm, it was a great achievement for Middlesex to have them all out before the close. I would like to think that we have got our bowling attack right for this match.

I wasn’t too sad when George Scott left last winter, as I was confident that it would create an opportunity for Martin Andersson. With the bat, Andersson has delivered this season with his two fifties so far, and after he entered this match with three wickets this season (after being unable to bowl in 2019), he then took four wickets today.

Thilan Walallawita returned for the 77th and 79th overs, so I would like to think that there are no worries about his fitness.

dingy bags 22 August, 2020 19:15
Well, RDO, we cannot have it both ways. Over a normal season, you need plenty of seam bowlers. In this truncated 2020, you have to rotate, i) to keep everyone fit ii) to give all of them a go. When Lace leaves, people point out that the batting line up is a closed shop and we don't change enough. So I am pleased to see others getting a bowl.

Cullen is very young. Andersson is coming back from a season without bowling. Toby is injured. Harry has played three games on the bounce. To call it a "random lottery is wide of the mark.

Seaxe_man1 22 August, 2020 19:23
Early stages it looked as though Sussex would total more. The opener retiring injured likely scuppered that. We need to pass their score as Hants did against us.. A deficit did for us then.

chunkyinargyll 22 August, 2020 20:00
Well done to Blake Cullen for a pretty decent debut.

Quite a lot to be said for giving players their debut at Radlett, as it is a ground they are familiar with through plenty of 2nd XI matches.

If Ethan Bamber is 'Mini Murtagh', maybe Blake Cullen is 'Future Finny'.

Jonathan Winsky 22 August, 2020 20:04
Blake Cullen has spoken to Middlesex’s YouTube page about today:

hdo 22 August, 2020 20:18
Quote:
dingy bags
Well, RDO, we cannot have it both ways. Over a normal season, you need plenty of seam bowlers. In this truncated 2020, you have to rotate, i) to keep everyone fit ii) to give all of them a go. When Lace leaves, people point out that the batting line up is a closed shop and we don't change enough. So I am pleased to see others getting a bowl.
Cullen is very young. Andersson is coming back from a season without bowling. Toby is injured. Harry has played three games on the bounce. To call it a "random lottery is wide of the mark.

And Finn? Bamber? Helm?

Your first point is certainly a good one, but I still wouldn't mind seeing a bit of stability in the bowling attack, or a little more transparency in selection, rather than what currently seems to me to be "any random 3 out of 8". Or perhaps my perception of it is wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/08/2020 20:20 by hdo.

chunkyinargyll 22 August, 2020 20:29
It was a good opportunity to get Cullen started.

Bamber and Cullen in the same side would be too risky at the moment, so it's either/or until they are more experienced.

If the season had gone ahead as planned, Helm would have been unavailable for all of 50 over comp (same Sowter, Simpson and Morgan) With TRJ injured we would have needed three out of Harris, Murtagh, Cummins, Finn, Bamber and Cullen. The last two are still at the apprentice stage, and with Murtagh and maybe Finn too likely to finish at the end of next season we need Bamber and Cullen to get some games under their belts.

This is an odd season. With no 2's games (costs money to organise and safety protocols) some people would just be playing weekend club cricket if we didn't rotate.

middlefan 23 August, 2020 12:42
I wish we were better at batting.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net