Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Middle v Sussex Radlett 22-25 August
Fozzie 24 August, 2020 17:45
Quote:
freddie tittlemouse
16 no balls. Who do we have to thank for that?

I've seen Robinson overstep a few times when striving for a bit of extra effort. His deliveries to dismiss Holden and Gubbins in consecutive balls were snorters.

Seaxe_man1 24 August, 2020 18:26
Well done lads. Thanks to the bowlers after a 90 run deficit. A bit of revenge after the 75 all out at Hove last year.

chunkyinargyll 24 August, 2020 18:34
Within five minutes of Simmo hitting the winning runs it started to rain.

Got the job done just in time.

Already some pluses this year- Andersson, White, Cullen and Walallawita have all made good contributions in our four matches to date.

dingy bags 24 August, 2020 19:04
"random fast bowler lottery" worked out pretty well. 20 wickets for under 400.

MB 24 August, 2020 19:08
Great Win !!!!

Jonathan Winsky 24 August, 2020 19:35
One of the main stories this week was expected to be an ever-youthful fast bowler named James Anderson taking his 600th Test wicket. As that is yet to happen, it was appropriate that this week has instead seen an ever-youthful fast bowler named Tim Murtagh as well as Martin Andersson making great contributions to Middlesex beating Sussex.

When Middlesex were 80-6 in the first innings and were 213 behind, we had a huge mountain to climb. Therefore, it was a great achievement to win, something which may not have happened without the late-order runs in our first innings and by reducing Sussex to 4-4 in their second innings.

Quite a few of our team made good contributions to this win, not least John Simpson after he top-scored with 48 in the first innings and guided us to victory with 32 not out in the second innings. I was also glad to see Robbie White top-scoring in the second innings with 35. It doesn’t look like the best of performances by our much-criticised batting line-up, but then again, it doesn’t look like the best of batting conditions.

We have given ourselves a great chance of finishing top of the group and potentially reaching a first Lord’s final since 1989, as our final group match will be v leaders Essex at Chelmsford. Tomorrow, I imagine that many people involved with Middlesex will look at the Hampshire v Essex match at Arundel in the same way as those involved with Somerset looked on from afar at the famous Middlesex v Yorkshire match at Lord’s in 2016, i.e. hoping the match will peter out into a draw and that the teams won’t set a match up. Thankfully, the forecast for Arundel suggests that the weather will thwart any hopes that Hampshire (certainly) and Essex (possibly) may have of a result.

chunkyinargyll 24 August, 2020 19:59
Quote:
Seaxe_man1
Cullen and Hollman called up for U19's.

S_M-

Where did you hear that?

Can't find anything online.

ECB site is useless and unfit for purpose. If they've named a squad today can't find it anywhere.

hdo 24 August, 2020 20:51
Quote:
dingy bags
"random fast bowler lottery" worked out pretty well. 20 wickets for under 400.

It sure did. Fortunately all of the many seamers we have on our books are capable of high quality bowling, no matter which attack the selection lottery throws up, and this week's winners certainly got the job done. An excellent and very enjoyable victory for The Middle.

Jonathan Winsky 24 August, 2020 22:11
Stevie Eskinazi has spoken to Middlesex’s YouTube page about this win:

Primrose Hillbilly 25 August, 2020 10:41
Perhaps Cullen and Hollman's call up relates to this rather belated issue from October 20 19?

[www.youtube.com]

Primrose Hillbilly 25 August, 2020 10:51
Ft,
from my viewing, Robinson was the main contributor to the eight no balls, but Claydon chipped in too.

In one period, Robinson had Sam padding up, no shot offered at all, perilously close to off peg.

He appealed, and I was seriously worried, albeit that the ball kept low so didn't describe much trajectory, which might have contributes towards the umpire giving Sam the benefit of the doubt.

Robinson didn't like that, and ran down to the slips, gesticulating for the "T" sign, as if to go to the TMO. That got the umpires conferring, then calling the skipper over for a wigging, then the umpire at his end gave him a telling off, standing at the end of his mark, and called him for another no ball, next delivery.

Great bowler, but not the first time he's been a bit pushy where appeals are concerned.

BarmierKev 25 August, 2020 10:54
Well there would have been little hope of play today. We got there just in time.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Primrose Hillbilly 25 August, 2020 11:26
What is conveniently forgotten by the Rayner hater (s), is that he was an exceptionally safe and athletic fielder, especially in the slips.

Ravi was a fielding liability along the lines of Monty Panesar, and only a slightly better batsman. The loathed and despised Rayner also had the effrontery, the gall, the immortal rind, to notch a few significant scores, and not look like a complete novice with a bat in his hands.

Just as the 2009 regime might have taken a view about Ravi, (ever really proven?) he had it within his power to change that view, by both improving his fielding and batting, and showing that he was determined to do so.

When picking a team, I suggest you base it on form, on whom you believe you can rely, and how you believe the pitch will play. If we had had a few more Taunton-like bunsen's then playing two out and out spinners might have been warranted, but we also had a quite reasonable occasional leg spinner in Malan, then, who made a few runs as well, so between he and the vile one, we had the options of turning it away and into both left and right handed batsmen covered without appearing to compromise batting strength.

Maybe more a cricketing basis for the non selection than anything else?

freddie tittlemouse 25 August, 2020 11:48
Primrose, despite being a very nice guy and a great slip fielder, Rayner was supposed to take wickets, which he didn't do with any frequency. Given the choice between a Rayner and a Tufnell , who was a@#$%&fielder and an occasional pain in the posterior, I would plump for Tufnell every time.

chunkyinargyll 25 August, 2020 11:53
Quote:
Primrose Hillbilly
Perhaps Cullen and Hollman's call up relates to this rather belated issue from October 20 19?
[www.youtube.com]

I think you could be right.

For one thing Hollman will be 20 in a couple of weeks time.

Suggestion from Dave Fulton on the BBC commentary that Ollie Robinson may get points on his licence for the T sign, as umpires immediately conferred and called over Sussex skipper Ben Brown

Primrose Hillbilly 25 August, 2020 12:06
Yes, Ft, but not exactly comparing apples with apples are you?

Tufnell was not available for selection to compete with Rayner, was he?

On that basis, and given your monicker, I am surprised you did not state a preference for Half Man, Half Biscuit's favourite MIddlesex and England all rounder!

Rayner and Patel at least had the decency to be in the same decade as each other.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/08/2020 12:08 by Primrose Hillbilly.

freddie tittlemouse 25 August, 2020 13:16
The point I am making Primrose is that you select a bowler for their ability to take wickets at reasonable cost, not because they're a damn fine slip fielder.
And your description of fellow posters in the intemperate term "Rayner haters" indicates that you have already lost the plot in this particular debate.

Seaxe_man1 25 August, 2020 14:48
Cullen and Hollman was on BBC site a couple of days ago. Maybe they got the wrong year or out of date.

Exile_in_stockport 25 August, 2020 14:52
It's a shame that this thread, rather than celebrating a good win and looking forward to a crunch game with Essex has descended into a petty irrelevant squabble.

We have a chance of topping our group and an outside chance of qualifying for the final. After the last few seasons, I am really pleased that we have fought our way to this position.

Seaxe_man1 25 August, 2020 14:58
PH. Having read some of your rants on Eoin Morgan. Are you serious.?Any comments I made about Rayner/Patel are observations. Rayner had a good ten years with Mx and two from memory standout performances. Well done. The 2009 regime Plan A was four seamers and Ollie to block up an end. A bonus. Good slip field. They clearly didn't see Patel in the same light. So after England Lions in 2014 he was given I think seven games. Had some England DNA but not enough. So card marked early.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net