Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Josh De Caires signs three year deal
Discussion started by chunkyinargyll , 25 August, 2020 16:19
Josh De Caires signs three year deal
chunkyinargyll 25 August, 2020 16:19
So of M A Atherton.

Bound to attract some publicity.

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Going by the runs he's already scored for the second XI, he should go far.

Re: Josh De Caires signs three year deal
Fozzie 25 August, 2020 16:42
About to start 3 years at university. I haven't seen Josh bat, but from pictures he looks a chip off the old block. Hope his batting turns out that way too.

chunkyinargyll 25 August, 2020 17:15
There was a Dick De Caires who was Uxbridge's opening bat for many years in the 70's and 80's.

A fairly unusual surname so quite possibly his granddad.

Maybe one day he will cease to be Mike Atherton's son, and instead Ather's will become Josh De Caires' dad (as with Chris and Stuart Broad).

freddie tittlemouse 25 August, 2020 19:24
His grandfather was D F De Caires so presumably one and the same.

Jonathan Winsky 25 August, 2020 20:08
After the disappointment that many felt about Tom Lace leaving Middlesex, it is great that the following fortnight has seen two young batsmen in Jack Davies and Josh De Caires signing new contracts.

De Caires has been in our youth system since at least 2011, as there was an MTWD thread that year which pointed out that he was playing for our under-9s and which evidently still receives many views considering the thread sometimes shows up when I click on Who is online?. Some players from our age-group sides disappear with little or no trace, while others end up playing for another county, so I have never felt certain that De Caires would end up actually playing for our 1st XI, but the fact that he has been awarded a three-year contract suggests that he will do so at some point.

I don’t think De Caires likes being introduced as Mike Atherton’s son, as he takes the surname of his mum’s family, and the only time I am aware of the club associating him with his dad was when Atherton accepted the award of (I think) Youth Player of the Year on his son’s behalf at the end of season dinner in 2019. However, although he may feel uncomfortable being revealed as a member of the Atherton family, I am not sure if being known as a member of the De Caires family is much less of a burden, as his grandfather David was very famous in Guyana, while his great-grandfather Frank played three Tests for West Indies. I would have thought that D F De Caires would be David, although there must be a possibility that Dick De Caires is part of this family.

I don’t think Mike Atherton is quite as reluctant for it to be known that he is Josh’s dad, as I think that he has mentioned on Sky commentary on a few occasions about his son playing in our youth system. A few days ago, Atherton mentioned that he had seen Blake Cullen playing alongside Josh on many occasions and that he was proud that Cullen made his 1st XI debut this week.

VincentVanDerVictory 25 August, 2020 22:00
Very good news that both Josh de Caires and Jack Davies have signed new contracts !!

Any news of Robbie White signing a new contract yet ??

Jonathan Winsky 25 August, 2020 22:47
One of the replies to Middlesex’s Tweet about this news said “Well done Josh kindest regards Dick deCaires”, so that suggests that the two people are related. If so, Dick would probably be a brother or cousin of David.

tallliman 26 August, 2020 13:12
According to cricket archive, his relations are:

Father: MA Atherton; Grandfather: DF de Caires; Great-grandfather: FI de Caires; Uncle: CD Atherton

Bobstan 26 August, 2020 15:02
Josh de Caires was captain of cricket at St Albans School.

What do you mean you didn't want to know that?

freddie tittlemouse 26 August, 2020 18:12
3 year "rookie" contract takes him to the end of university. Will Lancashire then come calling?

adelaide 27 August, 2020 01:09
Quote:
freddie tittlemouse
3 year "rookie" contract takes him to the end of university. Will Lancashire then come calling?

No, Gloucestershire.

Adelaide

Primrose Hillbilly 30 August, 2020 10:56
Hmmmmm............I wonder if his using his mother's family name was anything to do with everyone with J de C's best interests at heart wanting him to be able to make his own way in the world, unencumbered with the burden of him being known as someone relatively famous' son?

freddie tittlemouse 31 August, 2020 11:02
The name Josh de Caires has a certain raffish champagne quaffing racehorse owning villa in Provence air whereas Josh Atherton sounds more like a central defender for Accrington Stanley. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

adelaide 31 August, 2020 11:40
What's worse? Son of Hitler or Son of Atherton?

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll 31 August, 2020 13:44
If he was a race horse Josh De Caires would be a thoroughbred, tipped to win the Grand National

Father England cricketer and great grandfather on his mother's side West Indies cricketer.

I remember a few years back a lot of people were tipping Bradley Erasmus to make the grade (prolific run scorer in age group cricket) and that he had 'the right sort of name to succeed'. You could just imagine sports reporters saying- 'and another century by England's Bradley Erasmus....' , but it wasn't to be.

With such a tinny, limp sounding one syllable first and second name, it's amazing Ian Bell made any runs at all!

Fozzie 31 August, 2020 14:36
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
If he was a race horse Josh De Caires would be a thoroughbred, tipped to win the Grand National
Father England cricketer and great grandfather on his mother's side West Indies cricketer.

I think it was Mike Atherton (it may have been John Crawley) who on joining the Lancashire ranks straight from Cambridge was nicknamed FEC. This did not mean "future England captain", as Christopher Martin-Jenkins fondly assumed, but something completely different (the E stood for "educated").

hdo 31 August, 2020 20:36
Quote:
Fozzie
I think it was Mike Atherton (it may have been John Crawley) who on joining the Lancashire ranks straight from Cambridge was nicknamed FEC. This did not mean "future England captain", as Christopher Martin-Jenkins fondly assumed, but something completely different (the E stood for "educated").

I've seen this attributed to a couple of different players (Strauss included), but I'm 100% sure I saw it in Atherton's autobiography many years ago. If I remember correctly, he arrived at the club to find it scrawled on his locker.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net