Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Membership Fees -Sussex CCC
Discussion started by Turkey Leader4 , 27 August, 2020 14:10
Membership Fees -Sussex CCC
Turkey Leader4 27 August, 2020 14:10
Hi as well as being a life member of MCCC I am also a member of Sussex CCC and have just received a form for the refund of the 2020 membership fees. There were only two choices, a donation to the club or a full refund. There was no option for a role over to 2021.

Re: Membership Fees -Sussex CCC
Seaxe_man1 27 August, 2020 18:42
Nice one Turkey Leader.

Mart 31 August, 2020 11:07
What are Middlesex doing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/08/2020 11:09 by Mart.

Jonathan Winsky 31 August, 2020 11:45
There is a thread on what Middlesex are doing. Unlike Sussex (and maybe some other counties), Middlesex will not issue refunds to anyone who purchased a membership for the 2020 season as the club do not feel that they can afford to do so.

Seaxe_man1 03 September, 2020 10:18
A number of your Lords colleagues Turkey are reviewing their take on no refunds at Mx. A number have said they are not renewing if nonsuch is to be the case.

Mart 05 September, 2020 10:49
Quote:
Seaxe_man1
A number of your Lords colleagues Turkey are reviewing their take on no refunds at Mx. A number have said they are not renewing if nonsuch is to be the case.

With a 30 year waiting list MCC won't be bothered.

chunkyinargyll 05 September, 2020 11:25
Thank you for phoning us.

Your call is important to us and you are being held in a queue and will be answered shortly.

You are currently 87,862 in the queue and your call will be answered in approximately 29 years time.

(cut to Vivaldi's 'Four seasons' for the next 29 years!)

adelaide 05 September, 2020 11:31
Quote:
Seaxe_man1

MCC and MCCC are not the same thing, Mart!

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 05 September, 2020 14:29
I was referring to Middlesex not the guys with the Spanish flag. Middlesex have not or ever had a waiting list. Further, a lot of the Spanish guys don't like Middlesex members anyway. Just want our team. The MCC waiting list can be swerved around without trouble if your wallet is fat enough. Just pop in the office and make a bid. They won't be bothered about the 30 year waiting list either. Trust me.

chunkyinargyll 05 September, 2020 14:40
Bribery and queue jumping at The Marylebone Cricket Club.

Surely not!

(Sm71)

Seaxe_man1 05 September, 2020 14:56
Afraid so chunky. You are on a swerve if you have 85000 to spare. This follows up 300 or so whose swerve price is 17000 to 27000 depending on age. I imagine they want pounds sterling though not pesetas. Oh I forgot
They made the mistake of going to euros. Meanwhile Middlesexshire are hoping to hang on to members as I was telling Mark, afore being interrupted by an attempt at being a smart...

chunkyinargyll 05 September, 2020 15:09
Oh- so it's like ticket touts, where someone who has spent 29 years getting to the top of the queue then sells their place in the queue to the highest bidder.

Wish I'd thought of that in 1990.

Would have been a nice pension booster.

Seaxe_man1 05 September, 2020 15:48
The current MCC President, whoever, stated that MCC are now targeting people who can afford what they demand. So that waiting list is now largely shop window dressing if you are on it. Don't hold your breath. Kipping outside the Grace Gates for an Ashes game a long way off.

Sussex Seaxe 09 September, 2020 19:43
Sorry, this is MCC bashing nonsense and quite wrong. I am a member of MCC and MCCC and the former, to pay for the development of the new Compton and Edrich stands after a season with absolutely none of the budgeted income, decided to offer a LIMITED number of Life Memberships. The cost was varied, dependent upon age, and it was open to existing members, waiting list members (some of whom are known as Associate Members and have limited privileges) and, if not taken up by them, outsiders.

I am not absolutely sure of this, but believe that all available places were purchased before anybody outside the waiting list was considered. I haven't got the facts here as I am on holiday in Chunky's homeland! MCC were careful to stress that they wanted to manage how many from each group would be considered, so as not to damage future cashflow.

As it happens, I voted against the proposal, being against queue jumping in any circumstances, but the membership were persuaded of the merits.

To suggest that you can just buy your way in is totally wrong.

Incidentally, I once sat next to someone on a plane who worked for Harley Davidson. He told me their biggest concern was being seen as a product for older, wealthy people. I think MCC has the same issue and I think they are aware of it. I may be older, but not particularly wealthy, by the way!

Seaxe_man1 10 September, 2020 09:07
Maybe so SS. The MCC bashing you refer to was reported in the Daily Telegraph . So assume it is kosher information as there was no official denial. The original post that triggered the discussion had the smell of MCCC bashing about it. You know. Mx aren't important. The Telegraph reported that there was opposition within MCC to the queue jumping which is seemingly a fact if you can afford it. So the situation as reported needed to be clarified. The Mx position on refunds at the moment is the same as MCC. No refunds. This to be reviewed in Mx case this month, when more on the finance front is known. Mx have no waiting list to fill gaps with. Plus is unconnected to MCC.

adelaide 10 September, 2020 10:08
So you can't buy your way in but it seems you can join the back of the queue and then buy your way to the front of the queue.

Seems like a pretty fine distinction to me.

Adelaide

Sussex Seaxe 10 September, 2020 11:07
I think you both possibly slightly misread my post.

First, never believe anything you read in the Daily Torygraph! Why should MCC or MCCC respond to articles in the press? Would a response be printed anyway? Would those who read the first article read the response? Would anybody believe the response if they had already made up their mind that MCC is a bunch of public school toffs?

Secondly, Adelaide, no you can't! This was a one-off Life Membership offer for the reasons stated in my earlier post - entirely unforeseen circumstances stopping all cashflow. The offer is now fully subscribed and closed, so unless something equally catastrophic happened when building had started on a completely new project - heaven forbid - it won't happen again. If building hadn't started, I suspect MCC would have defaulted on the contracts and paid any penalty clauses, but as things stood, none of us wanted half finished stands at the Nursery End for an unspecified and unpredictable amount of time. Unless you did? Similarly SM, you say IS a fact. No, it WAS a fact for that one specific purpose, now fully subscribed and ended.

What would you have done? The only other options were to sell land and build apartments at the Nursery End, seek a very wealthy sponsor (not easy at the moment) or borrow heavily. Which would you go for? Personally, I was in favour of the sale option, but the membership made their choice.

It's very easy to carp, much harder to come up with a solution that satisfies everybody.

Seaxe_man1 10 September, 2020 13:02
Fair enough SS. Being on the inside you have more detail.

Seaxe_man1 10 September, 2020 13:15
Btw SS. I don't think Telegraph report was wanton. Plus I would not want to see the Nursery End built on. Would be the start of the whole Nursey ground disappearing under concrete methinks.

Sussex Seaxe 10 September, 2020 14:09
That's very fair SM, thank you. A chatroom like this should always be civil, methinks!

As for the Nursery End, you may be right. My thought process was simply that I didn't approve of those who could afford it paying for Life Membership when they weren't already members, but as the vote went the way it did, I am actually quite pleased that it will hopefully stay the same.

Actually, I'm not on the inside really. I'm just an ordinary, humble member, of MCC since 1984 and of Middlesex since 1973. Proud to be a member of both.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net