Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

New format for county championship seems likely to be approved
Discussion started by chunkyinargyll , 28 August, 2020 07:04
New format for county championship seems likely to be approved
chunkyinargyll 28 August, 2020 07:04
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

3 divisions of 6 (but not regionally based)

For the first year last year's championship placings will be used, so 1, 4. 7. 10, 13, 16 would all be in the same group (so each group has a spread of ability, with no group assumed to be 'easier' or 'harder' than the other two).

Everyone plays all in their group twice (10 games)

Top 2 in each group then form Division 1 for rest of season, with places 3 & 4 going in to Division 2, and 5 & 6 in to Division 3.

Teams then play the 4 teams they so far haven't played once, so that brings us up to the current 14 games, followed by a Lord's final for the teams finishing first and second in Division One.

I think I still prefer two divisions, but not the daftest idea ever.

The main benefit is thought to be the best players won't constantly be looking to move.

A number of outlets now reporting this as if it is bound to happen (so no longer just a bit of fanciful speculation) and starting next year.

Re: New format for county championship seems likely to be approved
Seaxe_man1 28 August, 2020 08:05
How long before before boredom sets in? Backed by scribblers as they like change for the sake of it. Will be dominated by the usuals, one surprise, Derby. Houghton building a team to challenge. I would have thought Northants, Glaws, Lanky would have liked a shot at top division and Essex to defend

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/08/2020 08:06 by Seaxe_man1.

Seaxe_man1 28 August, 2020 08:17
It's MacClaurin's recommendation regurgitated by the outgoing Graves. As Dobell said on TMS. BWT was a Covid 19 lifeboat the occupants now want to sail permanently allegedly. How long before a further agitation for that to be elbowed? Certainly less than seven home matches leaves grounds semi derelict bar the Hundred grounds. Probably the ECB agenda since Graves created a Hundred Board to run that show.

chunkyinargyll 28 August, 2020 08:36
At least this idea seems designed to try to save 18 first class counties, rather than finish a few off.

In his various interviews in the last couple of weeks, Graves has talked about maybe having 6 counties that no longer play 4 day cricket (proving that was his secret agenda all along).

At least this is the county chairmen getting together, and seemingly quickly agreeing this is the best way forward.

Graves often talks about 38 to 3 voting in favour of the blundred, but that was because counties had a gun to their head, with threats of no funding if they didn't agree to it.

This looks like it could go through in a matter of weeks, with none of the resistance the blundred had.

Seaxe_man1 28 August, 2020 11:00
He's gone chunky. The counties have more muscle than they realise themselves. Without them, there is no international cricket unless Graves left instructions to use the Hundreds. He, Graves, is hoping that Whatmore will sing the same tune. May be without words like Land of Hope and Glory.

Jonathan Winsky 28 August, 2020 18:33
There has been talk for several years about introducing a County Championship competition along these lines, and I remember that I liked certain aspects of it and that many influential people voiced their support for it. However, it was never adopted.

I have heard some people say that they would like the format used for the 2020 Bob Willis Trophy to be a permanent thing going forwards. If that means that each county would play only 10 or 11 competitive first-class matches in a season (depending on if they reach the final) and that the group stages will end with many dead matches, then I would very much be against it becoming permanent. However, if there are incentives to finish as high as possible and/or further matches for all 18 counties after the initial group stage, then I can’t think of many reasons to object.

Seaxe_man1 29 August, 2020 06:31
Need to take care that this is not a Trojan Horse to arrive at the Atherton milestone of six teams and ten games. Five home games at say Trent Bridge ain't a proper use made of the ground. Six teams cannot be a number for white ball cricket either to pad out underuse of the ground. Outgrounds would be history and cricket would contract to a very dangerous level. The chatterboxes as in all sports are interested only in a few teams, so would likely have their support.

Primrose Hillbilly 29 August, 2020 08:01
The Atherton article in the Times of yesterday, which I will try to paraphrase later this weekend, as sent to me via WhatsApp photo, is very broadly in favour of this idea.

The cynic in it me wonders if this is in any way connected with someone signing a three year deal with a county previously thought to be one of the endangered ones, but it matters not how he got to change his mind; but that he did.

freddie tittlemouse 29 August, 2020 11:01
Looks as if it was all worked out by a mutant algorithm.

Primrose Hillbilly 30 August, 2020 09:49
A very positive reaction from Atherton, whose article is summarised below, with direct quotes shown,

“super charged conference system that would improve the chances of smaller counties retaining a first class future, while encouraging the type of elite competition that helps to breed England cricketers ”

2 conferences, seeded on 2019 rankings, changing according to subsequent finishing positions
“Super September” and a “race to Lord’s”, and an end of season finale, with the first and second places in the conferences becoming the first division, the third and fourth the second division, and fifth and sixth the third. These teams play two home and away, avoiding the side from the same conference, with the top two in Division 1 disputing the Lord’s final, with prize money going down as far as 14th place.

“The best solution I have seen to a number of problems”. “It is clear now there are as many advantages as disadvantages (to the current 2 Div structure)"

Current problems characterised as short term decision making, with county DOC’s using sticking plaster solutions, where more long term planning is required. “Short terms deals for overseas players, Kolpak players, and poaching of good young players from elsewhere are counterproductive to the development of young cricketers through county pathways”

“............................isolated, graveyard feel to the bottom of the second Division” "populated by perennial underachievers who find themselves in a cycle of defeatism where any good players are lost to bigger richer clubs. These are the clubs in the line of sight of those who would reduce the number of professional cricketers across the country, which would be difficult to implement quickly without causing chaos”

“There is also an audience to support” Wow, Mike, no, really? - You feeling alright?

“Seeded conference system has considerable advantages” ............"Clubs would play different opponents each year, providing the variety that supporters and players crave”

“Divisional structure then allows for best v best that selectors are looking for”

End paragraph : “The scenario outlined above is the best attempt I’ve seen to create a vibrant domestic programme, encouraging all counties and appealing to its audience, without damaging the production of England players”

Those socially known to me, ping me a message if you'd like to see a whole copy to read.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net